C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the car running, FAST XFI computer the main problem all along.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:46 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got the car running, FAST XFI computer the main problem all along.

I got my vette running pretty good finally with the new intake setup. The FAST computer apparently had some faulty software on it and they finally emailed a file to the tuner who downloaded it and immediately, the erratic TPS reading was fixed. Unfortunately, I had to pick the car up before he was able to do much further tuning so it still isn't putting out the peak power it should imo, but it does run good. It hit 400 rwhp and 410 rwtq at 5300 and 4800 rpm respectively (even in this 100*+ heat and horrible humidity). The weird thing is the hp flatlined after 5300 rpm and stayed there for another 1000+ rpm before i finally got out of it. Clearly this thing isn't peaking properly and I strongly suspect the computer is doing something funny with the timing. I'll try to get a graph emailed to me so I can post it too, but an hp peak 400-500 rpm higher than the tq peak doesn't make sense. 36* total timing at this point anyway.

So far I have...
1. installed an MSD crank trigger because the FAST dual sync distributor is also erratic and junk...but at least it cost a lot.
2. installed higher pressure springs, probably too high, thinking the motor wouldn't rpm due to too low spring pressure. This did nothing and now I need to put lighter springs back in eventually so I don't ruin the lifters.
3. Installed a new intake setup with heaver injectors, better TB, intake and adjustable fp regulator (see pics).
4. Rerouted the fuel rail setup with a Y block feed setup (not shown in pics) because two plugs were 'slightly' lean with the setup in the pics.
5. Spent $3500 in tuning and installation of the above (I did the intake). This is killing me, I'm ready for a carb.
6. Now what???? Anyone have any theories???
7. ??Could it be the 6A box? This is the only used part I put on the car.

Also, the A1000 pump started howling a bit when I pulled up after a 30-40 min drive around town, think that piece of crap is going out too (yes it is mounted below the tank and as installed as per the website install instructions). Of course I am 2 months over a year so it is probably not going to be warranteed even though I have less than 20 hours of run time on this darn motor grrr. I emailed them though.

At least the dual spall fans and stock radiator kept things at 195-205* despite the 104* temp today.

427 sbc solid roller cam 631/631 (.673ish with the 1.6 rockes), 250/258 @ .050. 10.5:1 cr. Hooker header sidepipes with spiral baffles. Dr. J. ported efi Motown intake with 55 lb low imped Delphi injectors, A1000 pump.
Attached Images   

Last edited by CorvetteDave01; 08-02-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:02 AM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

I,m just curious on how you fitted the crank trigger and retained pulley alignment.
I have done the same and though about mounting the wheel in front of the pulley but decided to machine the stub of the harmonic balancer back 3/8" so that the balancer sits closer to the engine to compensate for the magnet wheel.
Brad.
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2008, 06:50 AM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

As to the crank trigger, I temporarily have washers in there spacing the water pump, ps and alternator pulleys out a bit. I'll make some block spacers as soon as it cools down a bit outside.

Nice setup Wabco, what are your motor and electronics specs?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Thought you would have gotten some replies, here's a bump for u.

I sent you a PM.

Bill
Old 08-05-2008, 04:21 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I would expect about 100 RWHP and 70 more foot pounds when you get it running out to 7000 rpm.

I was chasing my tail once and thought that maybe my Crane digital multi spark was out. I took off a plug wire and just put a spark plug in it and laid it on the intake. The spark looked like orange fuzz and of long duration with the motor running. the multi spark was working as advertised clear out to 3200 rpm or something like that. So I thought that maybe it has a problem on top only. I took it out of the loop and my car ran the same at all rpm. The real problem was the Demon carb air bleeds. My air fuel ratio was wrong under loaded higher rpm WOT. So my over rich down low was required to make it more correct on the top.

With the right air bleeds I was able to drop 4 jet sizes on the primaries.

So I came to the conclusion that in a well tuned motor with modern ignition parts and super wires does not require some phoney multi spark.

I have mine in place more as a two step rev limiter than for it's multi spark.

Since I put my refurbished heads on I switched to the auto-lite 3910 nascar race plugs
Old 08-05-2008, 04:43 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I forgot to add it must be nice having a couple of oil wells on your property!

Get notified of new replies

To Got the car running, FAST XFI computer the main problem all along.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got the car running, FAST XFI computer the main problem all along.