C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure gauge acting funny???

Old 08-03-2008, 11:58 PM
75_yellow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure gauge acting funny???

So I installed a fuel pressure guage on the 75 right before the carb. It wont hold a pressure it jumps around and wont stay on a set PSI it jumps from like 8 or 9ish to 0 really fast so I cant get a set level . What could cause this a bad fuel pump?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:04 AM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

If the engine runs perfectly (idles smoothly, not running rich or lean, etc etc etc), then chances are, it's the gauge that's defective and not the pump. I know my gauge "loses pressure" when the engine gets up to operating temp (goes from 5 lbs to 1 lb then -0- lbs)but the engine's performance stays the same....went through 3 gauges..all did the same thing...finally decided that whatever the gauge shows at startup, that's what the fuel pressure is...apparently that's pretty common in fuel pressure gauges.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:50 AM
75_yellow
Instructor

uh... ya this is my second gauge but it sounds like yours show something at first start up. Mine does it from the get go
Old 08-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Do a search of the archives on this subject. Many people have observed one or both of the described problems.

My standard advice is to put black tape over the gauge face, problem gone!
Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 PM
75_yellow
Instructor

lol so what your telling me is that my fuel pump is good and i shouldnt worry about it
Old 08-04-2008, 01:09 PM
justaguy10825
Instructor

Is there a difference between the pressure reading with an electric pump vs/ mechanical? My pressure gauge jumps around also but I just assumed it was because of the pulses from the mechanical pump...
Old 08-04-2008, 01:22 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by justaguy10825
Is there a difference between the pressure reading with an electric pump vs/ mechanical? My pressure gauge jumps around also but I just assumed it was because of the pulses from the mechanical pump...
My understanding is that it is due to the pulses from the mechanical pump also. I've never had a fuel pressure gauge before but we finally started my engine last night. The gauge goes nuts and is pretty much worthless. My neighbor thought it might be a little better if it was liquid filled but he figured even with that it wouldn't be very useful on a mechanical pump.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:13 PM
justaguy10825
Instructor

Originally Posted by ShinodaVette
My understanding is that it is due to the pulses from the mechanical pump also. I've never had a fuel pressure gauge before but we finally started my engine last night. The gauge goes nuts and is pretty much worthless. My neighbor thought it might be a little better if it was liquid filled but he figured even with that it wouldn't be very useful on a mechanical pump.
That's what I figured...

Thanks
Old 08-04-2008, 04:01 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Less expensive fuel pressure gauges over-react to the pulsing action of a mechanical fuel pump. It will bounce all over the place. I purchased a more expensive gauge from Summit and although it does still bounce it doesn't do it as bad. Good luck.

Jim
Old 08-05-2008, 01:41 AM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same problem, I put up a video about a week ago. Thought maybe I had a bad pump too... think the real problem is ignition for me though. I may just toss the gauge ina drawer until I get an electric fuel pump.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:21 PM
DIPPOLD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

A mechanical pump will pulse at idial because the pump diaphram is moving in and out, but as you rev the motor it should show a consistent presure (6 - 7 lbs) because the presure is constant. I have no experience with a electric pump but would assum that because it uses a rotating pump there should be constant pressure right from start. Maybe the guys with electrical pumps can pipe in.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pressure gauge acting funny???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pressure gauge acting funny???