C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some advice on changing the front brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Lussier4
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some advice on changing the front brake lines

I need to change the front crossover brake line on a C3 (1981) with A/C. Looking at getting a pre-bent steel line from Ecklers. Is this a big job? Looking at the passenger side not sure how I'm goin to fit this line around the control arm. Does the line just slide in from the front without taking the rad hose out...
I wonder how the check giving to the 3/8 hex nut (end of line) will pass all the way through?

Any experience out there would be greatly appreciated.

GL
Old 08-05-2008, 02:04 PM
wjsullivan
Pro

I did this on my '75, it was fairly easy. I think I did it with the control arms out. But it shouldn't be too bad. You likely need to remove the front air dam and valance panel so you have good access. But I was able to swing in each side, bolt it to the frame rail and then bolt it down near the control arm without issue. Most of a contortion act in terms to weave the line into place than hard to do.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did my 77 last week. Removed nothing all in about an hour
Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Easy job nothing to remove, but try the back lines
Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Lussier4
6th Gear

Thanks for your encouraging comments. I will give it a try as soon as I get the line from Ecklers. Lucky enough I was able to loosen up the other end at the control valve. I was afraid I might be in for the full job...

I understand the front to back line is a different story. It all looks easy until you get to the last twist near the rear block. You probably need to undo some of the bends at the rear end of the line and re-bend them after passing through the body. Probably not a pretty job. Is there a special trick to get around that one?

Thanks

GAL
Old 08-05-2008, 11:43 PM
wjsullivan
Pro

For the rear approach from the rear. Slide the line forward, through the trans cross member and beyond and then work it back. It will take some time. The tough part is the combination of the corner and the kickup over the rear crossmember. You do a little, gentle unbending and rebending.

The biggest pain is the bolt holding the line clamp that sits under the driver lower seatbelt retractor. The easiest answer is cut the clamp, carefully as the fuel vapor return line is usually the lower most of the two lines and thus closest to your cutting tool. Pull the lines out and smash the clamp flat to get to the bolt. Then don't bother putting it back in. Unless you lift the body to get clearance. But if you were doing that changing the line would be easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for some advice on changing the front brake lines

Quick Reply: Looking for some advice on changing the front brake lines