C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much does your C3 WEIGH?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
Oxana and I are waiting for the C7 ZO6 comes out, we're going to buy one about a year old.... First thing I will do is slap a super charger on it....

I want to do the bumper mod... How much did you loose with the front and rear bumpers removed? I will have Danny and Chris make me new aluminum ones to take there place, so I won't loose as much as you did, but still should lighten things up a lot....

Is panic's vette streetable though? Yours is.... And that means a lot.
The C7 Z06 has a supercharger. Go to my weight loss thread, it will tell you how much weight I loss with the bumper mods. Did you ever find an electric vacuum pump we could afford?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...loss-mods.html
Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 11-25-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:50 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Seff
Does anyone know the weight of a C3 frame? 1976.
Seff
The 68-73 frames weight about 290 pounds, completely bare. I think the later frames are about the same. The other bits and pieces put on weight fast. The differential (pumpkin) weighs about 92 pounds I think.

The AIM says that my 68 Corvette Convertible weighs 3050 pounds. If this is true, I'm probably at 2900 pounds. This is with spare tire delete (50 pounds), all aluminum brake calipers, composite rear spring (8 pounds instead of 41 pounds), aluminum heads, aluminum water pump, aluminum intake manifold, and aluminum wheels.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Raider74
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory A/C, Powered Windows, Aluminum 3-core radiator, small block, iron heads, steel headers, no spare:

3,300 Lbs.

Now after my body off restoration I am sure I pulled 100lbs of crud out of the frame. Haven't weighed yet but I also have a carbon fiber monospring now
Old 02-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Seff
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust systems

Does anyone have a preference for an exhaust system to save weight? Sidepipes? Full dual exhaust?
Old 02-09-2015, 06:51 PM
73C34me
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I am converting to hooker header & side pipes now. That system with 2-1/2" sweet thunder inserts weighed 76 lbs. on my scale one header is 18 lbs. my hooker comp header is 12lbs. I have to remove the under car exhaust to weigh it. Soon!

Originally Posted by Seff
Does anyone have a preference for an exhaust system to save weight? Sidepipes? Full dual exhaust?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
Is that the stock weight? Or did you modify to lose weight. That is very light for a C3.
Bee Jay

No sir it is not stock......but I have not tried to reduce weight. I have just set the car up like I want and that's what it weighs.

Its just an aluminum headed small block with a 4 speed. No A/C no power anything expect for power steering. It has different seats a 4 point roll bar. Now the car has lots of little things that are not on it that help with the weight. As I said it was not intended for weight reduction it is just setup to my liking.

There are something's I am changing that may add weight for safety so I will have to re weigh it when I am done. For example I am going bigger stronger parts in the rear and a dragvette 6 link. I also plan to put in a TKO 5speed
Old 02-10-2015, 10:18 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
The C7 Z06 has a supercharger. Go to my weight loss thread, it will tell you how much weight I loss with the bumper mods. Did you ever find an electric vacuum pump we could afford?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...loss-mods.html
Bee Jay
no... and it seems the mechanical are much better... The best pump it seems, at least by vote in the racing community, is the for mustang cobra turbo car unit... that's still on my list to do. if i can keep the rest of the car together long enough
Old 02-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

2830# (1/8 tank of fuel, no spare tire or bucket).
Old 02-16-2015, 08:29 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

I dropped at least 410 pounds of my 1980 ,, All in the suspension and removal of a/c ..spare tire / and a lot of other parts ,, Head light swap is 24 pounds alone brakes 88 control arms 12 .. spring swap to composite .. So I am hoping 3k with me in her I am 175lb ..

I will weight it when done and post results with a complete list of changes
Old 02-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by diehrd
I dropped at least 410 pounds of my 1980 ,, All in the suspension and removal of a/c ..spare tire / and a lot of other parts ,, Head light swap is 24 pounds alone brakes 88 control arms 12 .. spring swap to composite .. So I am hoping 3k with me in her I am 175lb ..

I will weight it when done and post results with a complete list of changes
I'm interested in some more details on that.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:15 PM
SHIFT A
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anorexic Vettes

Im a huge fan of throwing up weight from cars to improve acceleration, handling, braking, and MPG. I'm pretty sure most of us who own any year Vette don't primarily use them as a commuter car, so why not lose the heavy crap (creature comforts, etc) for some extra performance/fun! This was my main goal when building my 68. Every step I took in the build had weight loss considerations, as long as the parts did cost an absurd amount of money such as paying $1,200 for aluminum control arms to shave 8lbs. Some main weight reduction mods that I thought were worth it while still keeping the car mostly original looking were (These figures are my best guess without exaggerating, I wish I took the time to actually weigh all the parts);

-LS all aluminum engine with plastic intake, etc (dropped close to -200 lbs and gained more HP, MPG, and dependability)

-Plastic radiator and electric fans from LS donor car (about -20 lbs)

-T56 trans probably weighs as much as the OEM TH350

-80-82 aluminum rear differential and composite leaf spring (better ride and dropped maybe -80 lbs)

-Drop the spare tire and tub (how often do you have a blowout? -55 lbs)

-Wilwood brake calipers (stock ones have issues anyway -40 lbs)

-Alloy wheels (-40 lbs)

-Dropped all A/C and heater components (Its a driver's car not an office, about -80 lbs, or more if you consider the OEM A6 compressor)

-removed all windshield wiper components (who drives their classic in the rain? about -20 lbs)

-removed all headlight and vacuum parts/tanks. I made some fiberglass headlight cover molds to keep the look, and mounted small 3 inch driving lights in place of the front turn signals, and then mounted plastic turn signals behind the grills (about -40 lbs)

-tubular cross-members and bumper brackets (had to for the swap stuff anyway, about -25 lbs)

-80-82 style seats without power options (about -30 lbs)

There are probably close to half a hundred other areas where I dropped 100+more lbs from the car in smaller numbers that are more on the extreme side, but without costing extra money either. Someday when I get the time I can put together a more detailed list with more accurate weights, but I also need to pull onto a scale and see what it weighs (I'm hoping under 2,800 lbs)
Old 11-16-2017, 04:31 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by SHIFT A
Im a huge fan of throwing up weight from cars to improve acceleration, handling, braking, and MPG. I'm pretty sure most of us who own any year Vette don't primarily use them as a commuter car, so why not lose the heavy crap (creature comforts, etc) for some extra performance/fun! This was my main goal when building my 68. Every step I took in the build had weight loss considerations, as long as the parts did cost an absurd amount of money such as paying $1,200 for aluminum control arms to shave 8lbs. Some main weight reduction mods that I thought were worth it while still keeping the car mostly original looking were (These figures are my best guess without exaggerating, I wish I took the time to actually weigh all the parts);

-LS all aluminum engine with plastic intake, etc (dropped close to -200 lbs and gained more HP, MPG, and dependability)

-Plastic radiator and electric fans from LS donor car (about -20 lbs)

-T56 trans probably weighs as much as the OEM TH350

-80-82 aluminum rear differential and composite leaf spring (better ride and dropped maybe -80 lbs)

-Drop the spare tire and tub (how often do you have a blowout? -55 lbs)

-Wilwood brake calipers (stock ones have issues anyway -40 lbs)

-Alloy wheels (-40 lbs)

-Dropped all A/C and heater components (Its a driver's car not an office, about -80 lbs, or more if you consider the OEM A6 compressor)

-removed all windshield wiper components (who drives their classic in the rain? about -20 lbs)

-removed all headlight and vacuum parts/tanks. I made some fiberglass headlight cover molds to keep the look, and mounted small 3 inch driving lights in place of the front turn signals, and then mounted plastic turn signals behind the grills (about -40 lbs)

-tubular cross-members and bumper brackets (had to for the swap stuff anyway, about -25 lbs)

-80-82 style seats without power options (about -30 lbs)

There are probably close to half a hundred other areas where I dropped 100+more lbs from the car in smaller numbers that are more on the extreme side, but without costing extra money either. Someday when I get the time I can put together a more detailed list with more accurate weights, but I also need to pull onto a scale and see what it weighs (I'm hoping under 2,800 lbs)
That's a pretty impressive list! I think the LS motor weight loss number is optimistic, I've been looking into doing an LS swap and from what I've been reading I would say you saved closer to 100 pounds, but I could be wrong! Lots of factors to consider there.

Go get it weighed and report back! If you actually got it under 2,800 pounds then congrats, that would be quite a fun car with LS power to boot!
Old 11-16-2017, 05:25 PM
SHIFT A
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mobird
That's a pretty impressive list! I think the LS motor weight loss number is optimistic, I've been looking into doing an LS swap and from what I've been reading I would say you saved closer to 100 pounds, but I could be wrong! Lots of factors to consider there.

Go get it weighed and report back! If you actually got it under 2,800 pounds then congrats, that would be quite a fun car with LS power to boot!
Yeah, with the LS engine having mostly aluminum and composite/plastic accessories in place the the Gen 1 engines having nearly everything cast iron, it should be at least 100 lbs less, and closer to 200 if your swapping out an old big block. Mine was originally a small block, but after I got it all back together it looked like I lifted the car 3 inches and was ready to rally race it. I had to trouble shoot to get the suspension back down without riding too harsh. I ended up using springs from gen 1 6cyl Nova up front with a coil cut off, using C4 Vette rear spring bolts, and soft shocks; now it handles great as well as looks and rides nice.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:45 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 997 Likes on 686 Posts

82 with spare tire carrier out, 1/2 tank gas and my fat *** in it was 3,550lbs. She still ran 12.95 on a hurt motor though. No idea what the new motor will do, but looking for at least 12.50s or better.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:55 PM
Tech Contributor

2760# with 1/8th tank of fuel.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:56 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,116 Likes on 726 Posts

I think Mike/69427 lives up north somewhere where gravity is way different.

My goal was to get under 3000#'s empty, which I did at 2996#'s (aluminum this, aluminum that, I don't need this, I don't need that). More realistically with a couple of cement bags for the driver and a full tank, and four corner weight scales I was pretty happy to see this

Old 11-16-2017, 09:51 PM
Tech Contributor

I'm extremely envious of your four corner scales.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:45 PM
73C34me
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Weighed the 73 today

1/2 tank of fuel. Car weighed 3100 lbs. exact on a certified scale. That includes the 6 point roll bar, 3 drive shaft and half shaft loops, frame boxing gussets and extra diagonal frame tubes to stiffen the works, full exhaust (30 lbs heavier than the side pipes) and some tools in the cargo area. Home made tilt front end, normal aluminum bits and pieces on the small block. I can get it to 2950 lbs but the $$ to do so are hard to justify.

Last edited by 73C34me; 09-26-2018 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-27-2018, 06:04 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Last time the blue car got weighed it was 3030# with 5/8 tank, there was no top on car at all, full interior. Heads, intake, radiator, flywheel, and calipers are aluminum. Since then the top was reinstalled, headlights were swapped to the FIA style and a S/C was added to the engine. Need to get it weighed again. Now the 9-car fully loaded weighs in at a whopping 3510# with a half tank of fuel. T

Quick Reply: How much does your C3 WEIGH?