C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 Seat Belt Warning Lamp

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Melwill68
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 71 Seat Belt Warning Lamp

I'm trying to trouble shoot a problem with the center console seat belt lamp. The GM wiring diagrams do not include the assembly. All I can tell is that the hot side is tied into the fuel gauge wiring and ground is made to the console itself. Does anyone have a diagram or schematic showing how the device operates?

Thanks,
Mel
Old 09-02-2008, 02:26 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Well, get ready to experience a Homer Simpson moment (you know, "Doohhh!!!"). The seat belt light is a 'passive' system--it does not operate from any switch in the seat. The requirement for the seat belt light was edicted by the Feds after GM had engineered the car. So, they asked if they could just have the light come on when the car is started as a 'reminder' for their drivers. The Feds agreed and GM put in the light....with a "PUSH" button below the light to turn it off!! Sorry, that's the way it works. {Later year cars were modified to be an 'active' system with seat switches.}
Old 09-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Thats just RETARDED!!! Someone needs there *** beat! Wheres that friggen engineer???

BC
Old 09-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Melwill68
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I realize it's a passive system. I'm just looking for a wiring diagram showing how it ties in with the gauge cluster.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Well, as you have probably already noted, there is no detail on that seat belt switch/light being in the GM/Corvette electrical schematic. Someone would have to be inside their gauge cluster to see how it is wired (wiring colors and 'from where-to where'). I can tell you that the push-button switch is the critical component in that circuit. It has a built-in little solenoid/switch which acts as a "momentary OFF" switch. When the ignition switch is turned OFF, there is no power available to the PUSH switch/solenoid; thus, the solenoid is released in the ON position so that the ground for the seat belt light is made. However, no power is coming from the ignition switch so the light is OFF. When the ignition switch is turned ON, power is sent to the light, and since the ground is already made through the switch, the seat belt 'warning' light comes ON. When the PUSH button is depressed, the internal solenoid is connected and that breaks the ground connection, so the light goes out. And, as long as the power to that switch stays connected, the light remains out. So I am assuming (sometimes dangerous) that a 'switched power' wire [probably yellow] is connected to one side of the warning lamp with the other side [probably black or striped black] connected to one side of the PUSH switch. The other side of the PUSH switch should be black and connected to gauge bezel ground.

Get notified of new replies

To 71 Seat Belt Warning Lamp

Quick Reply: 71 Seat Belt Warning Lamp