C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil fire in new rebuild...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Oil fire in new rebuild...

I've used those plastic oil pressure gauge lines on past projects with no problems - connected directly to the brass fitting on the back of the SBC. So, I replaced a leaking fitting (copper clad steel) when I rebuilt my wife's L46 with new brass fittings and the plastic line provided for the purpose.

I noticed the line seemed to get "spaghetti soft" after a run, but since it didn't leak, I dismissed it as "normal" and did not let it concern me: As I said, I've never had a problem w/ them, "before"...(The operative word is "before".)

Yesterday, after a short run followed by a wait for a freight train to pass, the line apparently split under about 45# of pressure, and then proceeded to spew about 1 quart of oil all over the back of the engine, and down on the headers too...and you know what happened then!

My wife was driving, and we were able to pull into an ACE Hardware parking lot right away and shut it off. But, flames were licking out of the grill at the base of the windshield by then. The store manager at the ACE Hardware saw us pull in and ran out with a fire extinguisher in hand, and the fire was out in one quick squirt.

Damage was limited to just a few wires and a vacuum line, and the throttle cable linkage is shot, and I don't know about the tach cable yet. But, my point is, I've never had any trouble with these plastic lines that were made in the 'good ol USA'. This isn't the first time issues have come up with foreign-made parts...But, you can be sure it will be the last, unless it is a disparate situation!!

Most everything cleaned up pretty well, but it sure was a maddening thing to happen to a freshly detailed engine & engine bay, not to mention the cost of repairs...Did I mention having to pull the dash apart to replace the oil line to the pressure gauge? Oh, yeah...That too.

Anywayz...copper only guys. To hell with that plastic crap from "over seas"!!

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 09-07-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Boy, that's quite a story. You're really lucky the ACE man was there and got outside so quickly. I think the coffee and donut man or lady should visit the ACE store for sure!!!
Did there seem to be anything different or unusual about the line when you put it on?
Sorry about your lost detail job!
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-07-2008, 02:34 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I'm glad your damage was limitied, you got real Lucky.
I never have, and never will trust those plastic lines just for that reason.
go get 1/8" stainless line and run that, and never worry about that line again.
good Luck....69VETT
Old 09-07-2008, 02:50 PM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on this. The other day I was detailing the engine & fire wall and the line is the same as you have decribed but dont know if it is original.( More Research) The problem with mine is it's at least 14 to 18 inches to long and it's stiff and I didnt want to shove it down or put a kink in it but wanted to keep it out of the way. I removed the fitting & hose from the block and inspected the end fitting to see if I could remove the compression fitting at the end of the hose and try to shorten up a little. I felt I should just leave it alone. I managed to get the line into a loop of roughfully 6" in diameter and secured it with to metals bands to hold it and hooked it back up to the block. I have run the engine to test everything and had no leaks but havent run down the road for any lenght of time to get everything good and hot.
Ok you said the line got real soft to the touch and it split with 45psi on the line. Must be a cheap version from china.
I think the next time I get back into my dash which will be real soon, I'll remove the line and stick it in a pan if boiling water to see if it holds up.
That should tell me if its worth a darn. This is about the third time in the last 6 months I have read something about a line blowing oil all over the place and or catching a vette on fire.Do you now have a fire extingusher in you car now? I bet so.
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:22 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Was this a kit for oil supply [pressurized] line? The proper kind of plastic should not have had any problems, unless it was damaged when installed. If it was a kit, my bet is that the kit was made up of Chinese 'junk' and plastic line that was the wrong kind of plastic. If you know who made it, call them and tell them what happened. What they are selling could cause an engine fire and/or someone to get burned or killed. YOU have a responsibility [to others] for preventing further use of this product!!! The manufacturer may not even know there is a problem....
Old 09-07-2008, 03:28 PM
SmokinBBC
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69Vett
I'm glad your damage was limitied, you got real Lucky.
I never have, and never will trust those plastic lines just for that reason.
go get 1/8" stainless line and run that, and never worry about that line again.
good Luck....69VETT
Where did you get your 1/8" stainless line?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I get mine from Swagelock, it cost a bit, but thats cheap insurance to me.

http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_...0000175/type-0

I put a small loop at the gauge, and at the block, to allow vibration,
It's easy to bend, but a pain to install.

Last edited by 69Vett; 09-07-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:43 PM
SmokinBBC
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69Vett
I get mine from Swagelock, it cost a bit, but thats cheap insurance to me.

http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_...0000175/type-0

I put a small loop at the gauge, and at the block, to allow vibration,
It's easy to bend, but a pain to install.
Thanks for the info
Old 09-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Default Nothing "unusual"....

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Boy, that's quite a story. You're really lucky the ACE man was there and got outside so quickly. I think the coffee and donut man or lady should visit the ACE store for sure!!!
Did there seem to be anything different or unusual about the line when you put it on?
Sorry about your lost detail job!
Regards,
Alan
I didn't notice anything unusual at first. However, I've looked at it since, and it is made in China, and it is soft and more flexible than the original plastic line connected to the dash gauge....

P.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Default Oh, you can bet on that!!

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Was this a kit for oil supply [pressurized] line? The proper kind of plastic should not have had any problems, unless it was damaged when installed. If it was a kit, my bet is that the kit was made up of Chinese 'junk' and plastic line that was the wrong kind of plastic. If you know who made it, call them and tell them what happened. What they are selling could cause an engine fire and/or someone to get burned or killed. YOU have a responsibility [to others] for preventing further use of this product!!! The manufacturer may not even know there is a problem....
It was a kit - complete w/ an assortment of brass fittings, etc. As for "informing" the auto parts dealer, I'm going to have a piece o' his azz tomorrow - in NO uncertain terms he is going to understand what I think of that crap and how close he came to buying a rare Vette yesterday!

P.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil fire in new rebuild...

Quick Reply: Oil fire in new rebuild...