C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transducer, Speedometer, and Cables

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 11:01 AM
taylorbg
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transducer, Speedometer, and Cables

Alright, I have read some posts on here about removing some of the guts of the transducer to get the speedometer to work, but without cruise.

My question, can you do this while leaving the transducer in place? I can't seem to get any tools in there to take it off, nore could I get tools in there to get the cables off the transducer to test them.

My other option is to get a non cruise control cable and bypass the transducer completly. Again, I have read on here that you can reach up under the dash to disconnect the old cable without removing the dash. And that the cable needs to be greesed. Is it that easy to reach up there and disconnect and then reconnect. Also, what do you grease with and do you just put a little on each end of the cables?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by taylorbg
My other option is to get a non cruise control cable and bypass the transducer completly. Again, I have read on here that you can reach up under the dash to disconnect the old cable without removing the dash. And that the cable needs to be greesed. Is it that easy to reach up there and disconnect and then reconnect. Also, what do you grease with and do you just put a little on each end of the cables?

Yeah on your back on the rocker, looking up under the dash, you should be able to reach up and get that clip pressed and pull the cable off of the speedometer. Took me all of 10 seconds when I did it to Curt's '74.

Before you pull the cable through the insulation, grommet, and firewall, tie some strong wire or cable or string to the speedo cable. That way when you pull it out you have the 'path' it took and you'll be able to both push and pull the new cable through the hole.

The transmission side of the cable is harder to get off but it can be done.

Lubing is easy. They will sell you the lube at a parts store...it's a powder style lube. You pull the cable from the sheath, put some powder on the cable, and slide it back in.

Then re-install the cable, and you'll be good to go.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:03 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

i just did my 79 last weekend, like dg said, you can reach under the dash and unclip the speedo cable, its a little difficult but can be done. i found putting the car on ramps made it easier to undo the cables from the transducer from underneath. i removed my transducer completely, the gears inside were worn. i replaced the cable with a one piece one from orielly auto. $12. verses $110 for a rebuilt transducer. speedo works much smoother now, no jumping , bouncing around. good luck.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:13 PM
taylorbg
Advanced

Thanks guys. I'm going to stop by Autozone and order the part today and going to go ahead and get her done.

Next is to replace the parking brake, all of it. I have been putting that one off for a while now, not looking forward to it.

It's the last thing in my way to getting her inspected though.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:57 PM
taylorbg
Advanced

Alright, bought a straight cable to by pass the transducer for now. I took off the first cable that goes into the gauge. Put on the new cable and tested with the drill. Speedo works!!! I get underneath the car, remove the old cable on the transmission. Attach new cable and test drive. No Speedo. Take it off and test again with drill, Speedo works. Put back on and test drive, No Speedo.

Where to next?

Old Cable Status after removal....
The cable going into the gauge was rusted and just fell off at the transducer, I could not turn it within the casing. The cable going into the transmission was all kinked up on the transmission side. When the time comes, it might of just been the wires and maybe the transducer will work and save me 100.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you said the cable shows the speedometer works.

That means that the problem is probably the gear in the transmission. Hopefully it's the drive gear but I have a feeling it's the driven gear, and that's harder to change.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:38 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Chances are that the square-drive hole in the speedo gear [in the tranny] is worn out and it won't turn the cable. Remove the speedo drive gear from the tail housing of the tranny and fit it to the end of the cable and turn it by hand. If it just spins on the cable, that's the problem....replace that speedo gear. [P.S. That same speedo gear could have some missing teeth on the gear end. That would cause the same kind of problem.]
Old 10-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Darrel1
Racer

Make sure your new cable is not too long. Too much pressure and it binds the gears at one end or the other and the speedo will not work. Longer is not better.

Darrel1

Get notified of new replies

To Transducer, Speedometer, and Cables

Quick Reply: Transducer, Speedometer, and Cables