C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting prices

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 01:28 AM
VetteGoVroom82
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting prices

What's a decent paint job cost for a Corvette, and how much would I save if I did it myself? Also, how long would it take to paint a Corvette (1982)?

-Paul
Old 01-11-2002, 01:41 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Painting prices (VetteGoVroom82)

This topic comes up often. Check this post out from a while back.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=175113
Old 01-11-2002, 01:54 AM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before with $4200.00 in my pocket.
After without $4200.00

[Modified by Rich's75, 11:54 PM 1/10/2002]

[Modified by Rich's75, 11:55 PM 1/10/2002]
Old 01-11-2002, 03:42 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Painting prices (Rich's75)

I had NUMEROUS body shops tell me they wouldn't do it, or that car isn't worth what it would cost. Then 1 shop told me he would do it, but it will start out and $10,000!!! :eek: And no, that's not a misprint. I am doing it myself. It will come in a little under $1000 for me to do it myself. :cheers:
Old 01-11-2002, 08:50 AM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Probably need to clarify. I believe your question was how much is a paint job. Obviously body work and the condition of the car in question would vary greatly. Just for finish sanding, painting my car PPG base/clear, and polishing it out, was $2,500.00.

Painting an old C3 can very easily get up to $10,K. Once you strip the car down, remove all the old paint, and make all the fiberglass repairs, then you really see all the other stuff you want to do while it is apart. Like detail the engine compartment, paint the finder wells, paint the frame, replace all the chrome so it looks nice on the paint. Lots of parts end up getting replaced to look as good as the paint job. Sometimes called project creap. Or the dreaded " while I am doing it I might as well " thats what gets you everytime. It is also why so see so many C3 project cars that people are working on that have not been on the road in years. Mine included.

:cheers:
Old 01-11-2002, 09:12 AM
73 Teach's Pet
Instructor

Default Re: Painting prices (ScubaJKD)

I spent around $800 for the paint remover, primers, sandpaper, a gallon of red Dupont paint, the activators and clear coat to paint my 87 Trans Am, myself, 2 years ago. That price also included the body putty too. I used a self etching primer and all expensive top shelf products so that I would achieve the best possible results and not have problems in the future, such as the clear coat peeling from teh base color, like happened to the 80's GM vehicles. Red is one of, if not the most expensive color to buy, and base coat clear coat also is pricey. The gallon of red paint, not including the reducer and activator was $155 at cost pricing. 6 weeks after the car was painted, it was vandalized by someone who scratched a big asterisk on the hood. The upside was, that the insurance company covered the entire repair costs, the body shop did a perfect match, which I was skeptical of, and they buffed the paint out, which it needed and I didn't have time to do.
Be Cool!
"TEACH"

[Modified by 73 Teach's Pet, 7:14 AM 1/11/2002]

[Modified by 73 Teach's Pet, 7:18 AM 1/11/2002]
Old 01-11-2002, 09:28 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

My dad works for SEM and knows several painters. I am doing the prep work and one of the guys is going to check my work and then shoot it with base\clear and after that do a cut and buff for $2500. I could probably do it but he has a booth and all the equipment and experience. Being that he is a friend of my father's I think he will do a good job. He said that it would look like a 10k paint job when he is done. I hope he is right. Just keep looking around and you will find somebody. Again as many have said this is a job that you can do yourself but I have two small children and an attached garage so I don't want to have those fumes in my house. Good luck! :cheers:
Old 01-11-2002, 10:09 AM
SteveA
Advanced

Been thru this several times....resolved to do it myself everytime....after the $7000-$10,000 estimates. Granted body work & paint is a lot of work. Have done some very successfull paint jobs by using my garage. Use good products (paint,compressor,gun),good safety equipment(respirator,gloves,etc) and take your time..ask questions & read books. Also, I have a portable spray booth I made out of PVC pipe & sheet plastic, with an attached fan that sucks up the spray & directs it into a bucket of water. Assembles & breaks down quick & easy, fits in my garage, and was cheap to make. And water it down inside first to keep down the dust.

Good Tip for Hobbyists:
I had an email conversation with a body and paint man on this site..a very nice & helpfull fellow buy the way....and learned a good tip about HVLP (gravity feed) guns, which I just started using on my last project...UP THE PRESSURE! The mfg directions seem like more of a disclaimer than instructions when it comes to input pressure(18-20 psi). I was getting horrible results (heavy peel and spitting,...and crying) and finally upped it to 40+ to get proper atomization. Now I hear most pro's crank it up to 60...no ill effect on the gun at all....to get proper results. If you use one of these guns, don't make this costly mistake like I did! Up the input pressure...as the pressure drop on these guns occurs at the nozzle.

[Modified by SteveA, 2:22 PM 1/11/2002]

[Modified by SteveA, 2:25 PM 1/11/2002]
Old 01-11-2002, 10:15 AM
emsrescu
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Painting prices (wadew10)

Find a friend that works in a bodyshop. I have a few and for a few cases of beer and some $$$$ you will learn alot and get alot done. I am pricing paint now and thats where the $$$ start coming in. IT looks like mine will be going 2002 corvette electron blue $256.47 a gal plus clear, hardener, and thinners. Well it's better than tristage 2000 mustang red at $104.99 a qt.

Get notified of new replies

To Painting prices

Quick Reply: Painting prices