C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:01 PM
76projectstingray
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default power steering help needed

I have finally got my car on the road after almost a year of working on the suspension and brakes. My power steering is not working. How Can I tell if its the pump or the control Valve? I don't want to just start buying parts and replacing everything. I do have fluid in the pump!

Thanks for any replies.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:35 PM
1ronaldo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 76projectstingray
I have finally got my car on the road after almost a year of working on the suspension and brakes. My power steering is not working. How Can I tell if its the pump or the control Valve? I don't want to just start buying parts and replacing everything. I do have fluid in the pump!

Thanks for any replies.
Hi, I recognize the matter since I also replaced first hoses, then controll valve as link ball was worn, next I reworked the pump but no improvement. After I replaced the cylinder my power steering worked well. A worn pump generally is noisy. I think I could have checked the cylinder by draining the oil and plugging the ports. If you then can move the piston by hand easely from one side to the other the internal seal is worn. As the cylinder is welded you cannot replace the seal but exchange units are available

Good luck,

Ron
Old 11-02-2008, 04:17 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a way to plumb in a pressure gauge you could see if the pump has pressure. It may "pump" just turning it over, but may not be building pressure. If I was in your shoes, I would just give up on the original system and change to the "Jeep box" from Corvette Steering. Get a new pump and be done with it.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:42 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The cylinder can't really be the problem unless it is binding up due to a bent piston rod, etc. I agree that you should be able to plumb a pressure gauge in the system to see if the pump is generating pressure. Of course, you will have to turn the wheel to one side or the other for the pump to build max. pressure. The most likely prospects are: 1) low on fluid; 2) control valve needs to be rebuilt. {I just redid mine. The only thing you have to be careful of is being sure of the order of parts for reassembly.}
Old 11-02-2008, 09:44 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

P.S. If the control valve is not working properly, it will not "call" for increased pressure from the pump...so a pressure gauge alone will not help you detect which is the problem.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Fonz69
Pro

I am looking at excessive play in my pscv, everything else is new or rebuilt.

Had it on the rack Saturday and mechanic pointed out slop where the ball of the pscv sits in the unit (side to side)

Anyone have a link to good way to test or rebuild these?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

One type of pump failure is for the driveshaft to break inside the pump. The belt and pulley will keep the driveshaft in place but the spinning pulley and driveshaft won't be doing anything. Remove the belt from the pump pulley. There should be about 1/8 inch of in-out play of the pulley/driveshaft with the belt removed. If the driveshaft is broken, the pulley and what remains of the driveshaft can be pulled right out of the pump and the pump needs to be replaced.

Jim
Old 11-03-2008, 06:08 PM
76projectstingray
Instructor

Thanks for all of the replies, The car only has 49,000 mile on it, but it sat for a while. I will check the pump as Jim stated , then I guess I'll just get a rebuild kit.

Get notified of new replies

To power steering help needed

Quick Reply: power steering help needed