C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering in ls1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:43 PM
mg267
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering in ls1 swap

hey all..

kind of a rookie here, i have a 1969 corvette with ls1 swap w/ no power steering, what kinda kit would i need for a conversion to power steering?

thanks!
mg
Old 12-20-2008, 10:46 PM
mg267
Advanced

helllooo?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:05 AM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Some of the catalog and internet parts vendors have assembly diagrams that show just about everything you would need to do an as-original conversion (meaning just like a system that would have been installed in your '69 at the factory) from non-PS to PS. You can also install other more modern systems. I understand that the modern systems work better ... but I have no first hand experience with them. You can buy new or rebuilt parts ... and you can save money (about $230) buying rebuilt parts if you have a rebuildable pump, cylinder, and control valve to use as trade-in cores.

Here is a list of everything that I needed for my '70 SB, for an as-original conversion. I'm not sure if these are exactly the same parts you would need for your BB, but there are plenty of forum members here that can provide additional input:
Pump Assembly (includes reservoir, cap, etc.)
Pump Pulley
2 Pump mounting Brackets
Pitman Arm (you will need to replace existing)
Relay Rod, also called Drag Link (you will need to replace existing)
Cylinder
Cylinder Shaft End Bracket w/ Mounting Reinforcements
Control Valve
Pressure Hose
Return Hose
Extend Hose
Retract Hose
Main Drive Pulley
Drive Belt
PS Fluid
Mounting Bolts, Washers, Nuts, Clamps, etc. (these may come with the main parts that you need)

If you decide to install an as-original conversion, I have a few parts that are listed above that I don't need. Please feel free to PM or email me.

Good Luck.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:52 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you want to add power steering to a non-p/s car or hook up power steering to an LS1 swap?

If you are adding p/s you can buy a kit without a pump from Vette Brakes and Products (or other catalogs) or better yet, convert to the "Jeep Box" from Corvette Steering.

If you want to hook up existing p/s to your LS1, you just need custom hoses.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:10 AM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mg267
hey all..

kind of a rookie here, i have a 1969 corvette with ls1 swap w/ no power steering, what kinda kit would i need for a conversion to power steering?

thanks!
mg
Reading markdtn's post causes me to ask ... what does 'with ls1 swap' mean?
Old 12-24-2008, 12:21 PM
mg267
Advanced

yellowbird:
thank you for your info. in response to your last question, the car is originally a 454 engine that was removed, and replaced with a ls1 engine

markdt
thank you also for your advice: its a f-body ls1. the swap was done before i purchased the car. i am a little confused by your question. the car is manual steering (and always has been) and i wanted to convert it to power steering. I have seen kits on the internet to convert c3s to power from manual but they all were seem to be made for the original style engines. i guess my question is what kind of kit would i use to convert my c3 to power steering given that it has an ls1 in it? i dont know if that clears anything up

also in general, was looking at the steeroids kits, they seems to be prety popular.. if i was doing a conversion what, in addition to the steeroids full r and p kit would i need to go to power from manual. thank you all and happy holidays!!
mg
Old 12-27-2008, 02:20 AM
martinsw
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I used stock f-body ps accessory pump&bracket (billet pulley) on my ls1 and custom hoses to /from the standard ps ram assy that was on my 79...for now. A r&p mod is likely in my future, probably the grand am rack vice more expensive kit ala steeroids....

Get notified of new replies

To power steering in ls1 swap

Quick Reply: power steering in ls1 swap