C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny leak help, need opinions.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:47 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Tranny leak help, need opinions.

I have the turbo 350 from summit that has about 5 years and 50,000 miles on it. I jacked up the rear of the car and noticed tranny oil pour out from the front ( ~1/2 pint).. I changed the filter and gasket and used rtv to ensure a good seal. I also banged out some warped area's of the pan to ensure a flat fit. I added fluid after the change and drove for awhile topping it off for the proper level. Parked it overnight to discover about a quart of fresh tranny fluid on the floor. Front seal by TQ gone bad??
Old 12-24-2008, 01:56 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

I finally resolved my tranny leak problem. I have a TH400. I installed studs on the tranny, used the cork/rubber gasket, only used RTV (copper) at bolt holes, and torqued the nuts to spec. I replaced the speedo housing O-ring and replaced the gasket and o-ring on the vacuum modulator. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:58 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

I also purchased a new tranny pan (Summit).
Old 12-24-2008, 02:01 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you used RTV on the pan gasket that would be the first place I'd look. It was designed to go on dry.

The dipstick tube seal is #2 to look at. SOme use an O ring and some use a cup seal. Make sure you have the correct one.

The detent cable seal is another leak point.

Some cars have a TCS switch in the 3rd clutch pressure tap on the right side of the case. Switch goes bad and leaks.

Convertor seal can not leak statically. It can leak with the engine running, but not while setting. If it leaks when running, it'll pump the trans dry in a fairly short time. It can leak, but usually the drainback hole from the pump is plugged and the cavity fills then dumps when you stop. That's only a couple ounces of fluid.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:09 PM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a pan leak, i changed out my bent up steel pan for a summitt aluminum one. and it too has slight leaks at some not all of the bolt holes. is this common with the summitt pans? is it the allen bolts and lock washers that cause this? the gasket area is clean not leaks at all.

i didnt use RTV i just snugged the allen head bolts down as they shouldve been. now when i say leak i mean maybe enough to color your finger tip after driving it. but i feel like i have failed still (obsessive cumpulsive)

im thinking i should go back in with the RTV now and do it all over again although i was told that its a to use that on a trans pan.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:11 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TimAT
If you used RTV on the pan gasket that would be the first place I'd look. It was designed to go on dry.

The dipstick tube seal is #2 to look at. SOme use an O ring and some use a cup seal. Make sure you have the correct one.

The detent cable seal is another leak point.

Some cars have a TCS switch in the 3rd clutch pressure tap on the right side of the case. Switch goes bad and leaks.

Convertor seal can not leak statically. It can leak with the engine running, but not while setting. If it leaks when running, it'll pump the trans dry in a fairly short time. It can leak, but usually the drainback hole from the pump is plugged and the cavity fills then dumps when you stop. That's only a couple ounces of fluid.
Good advice here . I'll need to redo the pan seal situation. Pan is a chrome summit that came with tranny.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:23 PM
tommyleea
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always been under the impression that you weren't supposed to use RTV on the tranny pan. However; now I see that some of the filter kits for Chrysler say to use RTV instead of a gasket!
Old 12-25-2008, 12:46 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The Chryslers come from the factory with rtv instead of a gasket.

I used the gasket supplyed when replacing the filter and it leaked almost all the fluid out overnite, did again with only rtv and no leaks, but that's a Chrysler.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:37 AM
JimT
Burning Brakes

The previous owner of my car used rtv/silicone on the tranny and oil pan. When I purchased the car everything leaked. I removed the tranny pan and found pieces (strips) of silicone everywhere. I pulled the oil pan and had to clean out the oil pump filter because there were pieces (strips) of silicone caught up in it. Be careful with that stuff. I would stick to gaskets.

Get notified of new replies

To Tranny leak help, need opinions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny leak help, need opinions.