C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden Radio antenna, Anyone useing them or have feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:01 PM
red70stingray
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden Radio antenna, Anyone useing them or have feedback?

Hi,
My Goal.. I already have an original radio set up, all restored and looks perfect and i dont want to touch it.. I want to put one of those "secret Audio" systems in the jack compartment out of sight and use one of the many hidden antennas i see, some dont need power and some do, some are long whip styles, 2 - 3 feet, while some are small like a pack of ciggerettes... Anyone use these? or have any feedback about them? Thanks!!
Old 12-24-2008, 03:40 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

I put one of those in a '66 I just restored. The hole where the original antenna installed was worn out so much that the stock antenna would fall through the hole. Since I had to do fiberglass repair work and a full repaint anyway, I just filled in the hole. Installed one of the small one's (no long wire attached) I found on Ebay that was designed for motorcycles. It required 12 volt power, but I figured that was better than no power amplification. I just silicone glued it back under where the original antenna was supposed to be. It works great and you don't have to worry about anyone breaking off you whip antenna.

Ralph.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:48 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Eh I been looking at one of those key fob things that store some 24? hours of music, and uses a USB connector, so to rip my CD's to that trick, plug it into the hidden amps with a cable between the seats, and access from there....

everything hidden....pull it off the cable and take with me...

Old 12-24-2008, 06:10 PM
red70stingray
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rponfick
I put one of those in a '66 I just restored. The hole where the original antenna installed was worn out so much that the stock antenna would fall through the hole. Since I had to do fiberglass repair work and a full repaint anyway, I just filled in the hole. Installed one of the small one's (no long wire attached) I found on Ebay that was designed for motorcycles. It required 12 volt power, but I figured that was better than no power amplification. I just silicone glued it back under where the original antenna was supposed to be. It works great and you don't have to worry about anyone breaking off you whip antenna.

Ralph.
Did you have to ground the base before silicone or was it just the power lead that you just had to contend with?
Old 12-24-2008, 10:52 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I wouldn't mind finding something for mine, my power antenna doesn't work and I am too lazy to fix it, I wonder what is out there that would be hidden inside the Vette somewhere, I guess it could even run across the bottom of the windsheild.

On a side note a I just remember a friend of mine used the rear window defogger wires for his antenna, said it worked fine, of course you have to disconnect it but I have actually never used mine anyway, don't drive it when it that cold
Old 12-25-2008, 12:56 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

I can't remember if it had a ground wire, but I would suspect so to complete the circuit. I think I just grounded it to the radio supports. I was surprised how cheap they were. As I recall, an expensive one was about $30. It was a little larger than a cigarette pack, but since the Vettes have fiberglass bodies, they can be hidden just about anywhere. I wanted it out of sight and not on the windshield or dash, although those are options.

Ralph.

Get notified of new replies

To Hidden Radio antenna, Anyone useing them or have feedback?

Quick Reply: Hidden Radio antenna, Anyone useing them or have feedback?