C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny pan leak woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 04:07 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Tranny pan leak woes

I'm sick already with the tranny pan leaking. I have the summit chrome pan which was okay until recently. I probably warped it by overtightening to stop the old leaks and now that it has a small dent in the front I think it warped out even more. I took it off, banged to out to help flatten the surface , put a new gasket on , refilled and guess what?? You got it, leaks again. It will only leak after it cools down. Its okay if hot. I have a drop cloth collecting tranny fluid in the garage. If I ring it out its about 1/2 quart. I'm thinking of gettting a new pan anyone have an original?? (350 Turbo).
Old 12-26-2008, 04:20 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody, I forgot who, makes a pan gasket that has metal spacers to prevent overtightening. See if your local speed shop has one. A stock pan might not be a bad idea either. Make sure the pan gasket surface is really clean, make sure you tap the bolt holes back to flat as you can, and that should fix it. If not, go get a stock replacement pan.

If you can't find that gasket, email me, I can picl one up and mail it to you. My local hot rod shop can get one, I'm sure.

BBTank
Old 12-27-2008, 02:32 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

The slick surface of chrome pans and valve covers promote leaks. Best thing I can suggest is to clean and dry the rail area, paint it with 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive (follow their directions) and glue the gasket to the pan, taking care to line up all the bolt holes.

Let dry, then install to normal torque spec. The dry side of the gasket will seal nicely to the trans, while the 3M will stop leaks at the pan rail.

Pan and gasket should remove easily as a unit in the future.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:59 PM
blctalon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 700r4 pan keeps leaking too. I had the shop that beefed up the tranny give me another pan and it still leaks. The surface seems flat with a straight edge and there's no cracks, yet it always leaks out of the front right of the pan. Have you inspected the mounting surface when you had the pan off? Interested to know since I seem to have a leaker too.

I wonder if they make a thicker gasket? I don't know what else to do short of using some sealant which you aren't supposed to. I do hate taking that pan off and making a mess though.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:40 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

See post #2. I can get those gaskets, and ship them to you guys, if no one else can find them.

Tank
Old 12-27-2008, 04:05 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Update>>>>>
Okay after another round of pan removal and new gasket I decided to apply RTV to the bolts. I torqued them down to 15 ibs and let it sit. So far after 2 rides I think it finally stopped leaking. I'm still going to find a pan in the meantime . Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:24 PM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

http://www.zip-products.com/Corvette...48969273D0861E
Old 12-27-2008, 11:09 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

90 % of the time its not the pan leaking even though it looks like thats where its comeing from. its more often the dipstick tube . fully clean and RTV it or remove it completely and reinstall with rtv .

Last edited by gingerbreadman1977; 12-28-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:00 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
90 % of the time its not the pan leaking even though it looks like thats where its comeing from. its more often the dipstick tube . fully clean and RTV it or remove it completely and rtv it.

Or it's the shift selector shaft or kickdown plugin
Old 12-28-2008, 12:22 AM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1nicecorvette
Thanks, thats what I need.

Get notified of new replies

To Tranny pan leak woes

Quick Reply: Tranny pan leak woes