C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn contact tilt and tele for 73

Old 12-26-2008, 09:45 PM
ABOB5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn contact tilt and tele for 73

I got a tilt steering unit with the upper portion apart. I bought a new lower contact the one with the big spring and the horn contact kit which has a small spring a pin and retainer. How does the kit go in the one with the big spring I think it goes first spring then pin flat part down then retainer so it holds it all in is this correct ? Also the G.M. package that the contact kit came in had a instruction sheet in it to cut the pin to 3/4"of a inch long is this correct ? Thanks for the help
Old 12-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You are correct on how the eyelet #14, spring #15, and retainer #13 go together in the horn tower that is part of the cancelling cam #16. Cutting the eyelet off to 3/4 of an inch sounds correct. The eyelet has to stick out far enough so that it touches the "foot" sticking down from the upper horn contact #18. You might dry fit the parts together to get a sense as to the 3/4 inch dimension.

The above picture is from a 1967-68 telescoping column. It shows more detail (such as the eyelet & spring) than typical 1969-75 steering wheel pictures from the AIM. This picture is identical to your 1973 T&T column except that you have a metal "can" (called an extension) that is assembled between the steering wheel hub #11 and the actual steering wheel #8.
Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 12-27-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:39 PM
ABOB5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jim I will try the dry fit first before I cut the pin.

Get notified of new replies

To Horn contact tilt and tele for 73

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horn contact tilt and tele for 73