C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 BB Smog Pump Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Bumper Sharks
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 71 BB Smog Pump Question

The smog pump on my 71 big block seems to shake a little too much. All of the brakcets, belts, bolts, etc are all tight, but the smog pump just seems to shake. Is this normal for a big block Vette? The car runs great, but I am a little concerned about the smog pump. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:49 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Unless you have a LS-6 454, you should not have a smog pump. The regular LS-5 454 didn't have one.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Bumper Sharks
Intermediate

It is an LS6 and I am just a little concerned about the way the smog pump shakes when the car is idleing. The car was restored several years ago and I just want to make sure that I don't do any damage to the engine compartment. I did not do the restoration or engine work and I am not familiar with how the smop pump mounting should look.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:38 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Pics....show us pics
Old 12-31-2008, 10:56 PM
Ed Campbell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If everything looks ok on the outside check for shaft bearing wear or maybe one or more of the three vanes inside have become destroyed and is severely out of balance. Take the belt off the pump and run the engine and see if it stops. also with engine off grab the pully and see if there is any play in the shaft bearings and spin it by hand to see if you can hear any adnormalty. This is not a situation you want to continue without a solution.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Bumper Sharks
Intermediate

Ed,
Thanks for the ideas concerning the smog pump. If I had to venture a guess I would bet it is one of the three vanes that is causing the problem, but I will check everything as soon as I get a chance. I will also try to post pictures soon, but I have to reread the info about how to load the pics. My LS6 is Brands Hatch Green with Saddle Tan interior and is equipped with pw, ps, pb, am/fm and an automatic transmission. I do not drive it very often, but it is a blast when I do.

Get notified of new replies

To 71 BB Smog Pump Question

Quick Reply: 71 BB Smog Pump Question