C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix it or drop in new one

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:22 PM
NBC3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix it or drop in new one

Hey all
Looking for some advice on what to do with my engine. It's a stock L48 in a 76. It's currently puffing blue smoke out the driver's side sidepipe. So I am looking at some motor work. My question is do I take it somewhere and have the motor done or do I go for the new crate with more hp?

Thanks
Bill
Old 01-05-2009, 02:33 PM
billsfan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NBC3
Hey all
Looking for some advice on what to do with my engine. It's a stock L48 in a 76. It's currently puffing blue smoke out the driver's side sidepipe. So I am looking at some motor work. My question is do I take it somewhere and have the motor done or do I go for the new crate with more hp?

Thanks
Bill
I also have a '76 L-48. If it goes to lunch, a crate motor would be the way to go, unless you're concerned about numbers matching blocks. Face it, a numbers matching '76 is not going to impress anyone, so build it to have fun. You can buy it turnkey to the size and HP that you want, or buy a short block, and cover it with goodies. The turnkey motor will have a warranty, which is a plus. With a GOOD machine shop, you will pay almost as much rebuilding it as a new crate motor costs. But, you know what they say about opinions...
Old 01-05-2009, 02:35 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by billsfan
I also have a '76 L-48. If it goes to lunch, a crate motor would be the way to go, unless you're concerned about numbers matching blocks. Face it, a numbers matching '76 is not going to impress anyone, so build it to have fun. You can buy it turnkey to the size and HP that you want, or buy a short block, and cover it with goodies. The turnkey motor will have a warranty, which is a plus. With a GOOD machine shop, you will pay almost as much rebuilding it as a new crate motor costs. But, you know what they say about opinions...
Old 01-05-2009, 03:33 PM
WillEE
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also agree - go w/crate motor. Re-use all your brackets & accessories. Install new motor mounts, hoses, belts, etc. Ask yourself if now would be a good time to also go through the tranny and make sure it's up for the higher HP. If an auto tranny car then how 'bout torque converter also? Should you replace it to be better suited to the new rpm range of the higher HP crate engine? Would now be a good time to upgrade ignition system, install some headers, etc, etc. I've been where you're at before on other cars and see it coming in the next year or 2 on the vette so just a few things I've done and thinking about doing again in near future when it's time to replace the original engine. Do your homework very well and research the many options. Make sure to break your new engine in correctly - especially if it's a non-roller camshaft motor which needs additives that modern oils are lacking to break in w/o causing any damage.

If re-using the original block is of interest to you, you could always price out what it would cost to have someone go through it, bore it out .030, install new pistons, bearings and new aluminum heads, cam and intake. This will probably come in several hundred dollars cheaper than a crate motor but is always an option worth considering - especially if you can do a lot of the work yourself.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
ethanm
Advanced

I also have a 76 and the motor took a crap on us. Mine was an L-82 but we decided to get a crate motor. We bought a crate 355 from jegs built by blueprint engines.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Blueprint+Engines/761054/10002/-1
we bought the base motor. you will probably have to call jegs about a 2 piece rear seal motor if you would like to go this way. if you get one of these motors and listen carefully go buy a corvette oil pan and put on it before you try to put the motor in. Me and my dad fought this motor for 6 months before we figured out the oil pan was hitting and would not let the motor sit down. its only about a 1/4 of an inch clearance issue but it will drive you nuts. but all we had to do was put the carb time it and little stuff. we hit the key and within 2 revolutions it fired to life and it sounds healthy!! comes with a dyno sheet of the actual motor in the crate and i highly recommend this company. We havent got to drive the car yet because we still have a lot to finish on the car but it feels like it will be a great running car! hope this helps a little.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:42 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Crate the best way to go. Can get a 400 hp from yearone for as little as $3000 or any of the others out there way cheaper and easier than a rebuild and you'll get a good warranty to go along with it.

If you're really worried about collectability, just save your old one in case you ever want it.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:28 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

rebuild-repair L48 w/ flattops & a cheap cam ... it may not be easier but it'll probably be cheaper than a crate.

If we don't support our local auto machine shop ... they will not survive ... and eventually, instead of whining about how our parts come from asia ... we'll be whining about how all the crates are from bumphuk. I can see the posts now ... customer service rep doesn't understand diff between bok choi & block bore.

btw, huffing oil smoke out one side don't necessarily mean motor's wore out ... a leaking intake gasket will do it and has so lotsa times ... other stuff too ... you can fix that yourself in an afternoon for $20. Have a trusted pro check it before you jump. I thought a '76 came w/ merged exhaust? aka Not true duals?
Old 01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like everyones advice here. its nice to have a fresh crate motor with double the hp or whatever you desire and all that but like jackson said i would look at a few cheap trial and error parts/work to see if its an easy fix. do a compression test and the oil in the cylinder test to see if its bearings and things like that. it sounds like to me you have you mind set up on a crate motor which is good that you can have the swap done in a day or 2 and then have your old motor sitting on a stand in the corner for you to tinker with yourself when you have time......383 ?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:23 PM
NBC3
Racer

Originally Posted by jackson
I thought a '76 came w/ merged exhaust? aka Not true duals?
I replaced the original exhaus with a set of hooker sidepipe headers and pipes - great sound and true duals
Old 01-07-2009, 11:32 PM
NBC3
Racer

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
i like everyones advice here. its nice to have a fresh crate motor with double the hp or whatever you desire and all that but like jackson said i would look at a few cheap trial and error parts/work to see if its an easy fix. do a compression test and the oil in the cylinder test to see if its bearings and things like that. it sounds like to me you have you mind set up on a crate motor which is good that you can have the swap done in a day or 2 and then have your old motor sitting on a stand in the corner for you to tinker with yourself when you have time......383 ?
I really am leaning toward the crate but had heard some horror stories. It is a 76 after all and I really dont worry about collector's value. I think its safe to say that the ship has already sailed on that one. Cruising in the summer with the folks in their C5s and C6s, it would be nice to have a little more under my foot.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

CHeck in the C3 For sale section someone has a ZZ4 for sale at a great price

Get notified of new replies

To Fix it or drop in new one

Quick Reply: Fix it or drop in new one