C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

69 Vette - Battery Recommendations

Old 02-10-2009, 11:56 PM
etech152
CF Senior Member

Should I choose a YELLOW top -over- the RED top?

I have a High-Powered very Nice Sony/ JL Audio Custom Stereo Installation that really draws current while driving. You can see the analog Amp meter moving while cranking up the Stereo. And at night with headlights on, Dashlights on... and Stereo playing for a couple hours on a road trip... it would be drawing it's MAX current. I read the YELLOW TOP battery has a steady amount of current over a long period of time.

Here are the Yellow top features:

Get more from your battery with an OPTIMA YellowTop. Even if your vehicle is made to take the abuse of off-roading or cranking out decibels, it’s the power under the hood that gets you going and keeps you going. The ability of an OPTIMA to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time coupled with its extreme resistance to vibration provides performance vehicles with the long-lasting power they need in a spill-proof.

Here are the RED TOP features:

The six-pack design generates its own buzz. But OPTIMA SpiralCell Technology is the real hero. OPTIMA RedTop batteries are built to withstand the abuse trucks, SUV's and 4x4's experience on and off-road while delivering a higher level of power to the starter in the critical first 10 seconds of the vehicle starting cycle. The RedTop features the lowest internal resistance of any battery on the market, which is the key to their unparalleled high power delivery, increased cycle life and fast recharge capability.

I'm thinking EITHER battery would be Good! But just looking for some input.

What do YOU think??

~
TIA
Old 02-11-2009, 12:32 AM
etech152
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Odyssey AGM - no contest - spins my 427-400 like a 4 cylinder

24PC1500T has correct top terminal config and fits in batt box mounts properly. 4yr unconditional (no pro-rate) replacement warranty.
Doing some online research.... Is this the 34-PC1500T-A Odyssey Battery that will fit my Corvette? I can not find a 24PC1500T. I'd like to find the SAE Standard Top post terminals. Looks like some have a special screw-in type post.

Can you provide any more info on the Odyssesy AGM Battery you are suggesting for my application, any info helpful.

TIA

~
Old 02-11-2009, 01:23 AM
etech152
CF Senior Member

I pulled off the car cover of my vette tonight in my garage and took another look at my Battery. And as I thought, I have a Delco OEM Replica Battery (for NCRS by previous owner) complete with replica hoses, Gromets and Battery mounts which are on the bottom of the battery on each side. This battery is at least 4 or 5yrs old, maybe even older.

The Battery measures overall 10" wide X 6 3/4" Depth X 9" tall (Overall height including top posts is 9" tall)

Will any of these Battery recommendations fit, and How will the battery lock down? I am assuming it will fit exactly and the bottom battery hold downs will fit perfectly?

Any Help?

Last edited by etech152; 02-11-2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-11-2009, 01:58 AM
73StreetRace
CF Senior Member

Optima Red Top is a great battery, but Ground Zero is not bad too... if you can afford it
Old 02-11-2009, 09:40 AM
etech152
CF Senior Member

After looking at my Battery and the way it mounts, Will Any of these replacement Batteries Fit the same way.... by locking down at the bottom with the OEM bolt and holder?

I'd like a good battery but also a nice easy clean install w/o having to make a bar to hold the battery down. I never asked about install because I had not given a good look at mine, (under cover in garage).

So What battery do you all use and how does it mount? Do any of the Red Top, Or Odessey batteries mount using the original mounting hardware in the 69 Vette??

~

TIA
Old 02-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Capella
CF Member

The Odyssey I previously recommended mounts with the stock hardware - I have one in my '68.

Read about them here - http://www.reidsmarine.com/odysseybatt.html
Old 02-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Smadoo
CF Senior Member

I have the Optima Yellow Top in my 80, after storing the car all winter, started right up, no battery tender needed. (which i do highly recommend).
Old 02-13-2009, 07:10 PM
etech152
CF Senior Member

Any more Battery recommendations -or- any "Thumbs Up" -or- " I Agree's.." on the one's already recommended??? Will be purchasing replacement next week and appreciate ALL the comments.

TIA

~
Old 02-25-2009, 10:39 PM
etech152
CF Senior Member

Odyssey AGM - no contest - spins my 427-400 like a 4 cylinder

24PC1500T has correct top terminal config and fits in batt box mounts properly. 4yr unconditional (no pro-rate) replacement warranty.

I am VERY Impressed with the Odyssey Battery for my 69 Corvette. I have visited the Odessey Battery website at
http://www.odysseybatteries.com and looked for the 24PC1500T you mentioned in your post. I can not find THAT battery there?

Can you provide me with more info? What also would help alot is, a direct website link to the correct battery you mention and have in your C3.

Can you double check the model number and see if you can find THAT battery online and provide me the link? so I can be sure if I decide to get an Odessey Battery I will have correct info and pricing. I am trying to decide between an Optima Red or Yellow Top battery and the Odyssey Battery. The Odyssey is quite impressive!

Thank you for your time. Any details, links to correct current model and how yours installs is helpful. I do not have a bar over my battery, just a plate that brackets at the bottom on the battery. I do not know if I am missing any battery hardware that secures my battery "over the top" (may have been removed by the stereo installers long ago).

Also One last important question about that Odessey Battery... Does it use standard battery posts on the top so I can install my original battery clamps easily back over it? Some batteries I have seen use a special screw terminal.

Thank you!

etech152
~
Old 02-25-2009, 10:46 PM
etech152
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Smadoo View Post
I have the Optima Yellow Top in my 80, after storing the car all winter, started right up, no battery tender needed. (which i do highly recommend).
I've been so busy at work that I've not had much time to continue looking into my battery purchase for my 69 Corvette Conv. (w/ Nice Custom Sony/JL Audio Stereo Install)

I am researching and deciding on either the Odessey Battery or the Optima Red top or Yellow Top Battery.

How did your Yellow top Battery install in your C3 (1980). I have a 69 vette. Which model battery fit your C3? 8014-045 or 8042-218 ?

etech152
~
Old 02-25-2009, 10:54 PM
etech152
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by etech152 View Post
I am VERY Impressed with the Odyssey Battery for my 69 Corvette. I have visited the Odessey Battery website at
http://www.odysseybatteries.com and looked for the 24PC1500T you mentioned in your post. I can not find THAT battery there?

Can you provide me with more info? What also would help alot is, a direct website link to the correct battery you mention and have in your C3.

Can you double check the model number and see if you can find THAT battery online and provide me the link? so I can be sure if I decide to get an Odessey Battery I will have correct info and pricing. I am trying to decide between an Optima Red or Yellow Top battery and the Odyssey Battery. The Odyssey is quite impressive!

Thank you for your time. Any details, links to correct current model and how yours installs is helpful. I do not have a bar over my battery, just a plate that brackets at the bottom on the battery. I do not know if I am missing any battery hardware that secures my battery "over the top" (may have been removed by the stereo installers long ago).

Also One last important question about that Odessey Battery... Does it use standard battery posts on the top so I can install my original battery clamps easily back over it? Some batteries I have seen use a special screw terminal.

Thank you!

etech152
~

I research this forum for more info on Odyssey Batteries for the C3... Here is an interesting post below....

BTW... My Battery MUST mount with a "notch" on the bottom.... (see post below, one person said the Odyssey has NO notch on bottom for mounting? Any help?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...y-battery.html
Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Smadoo
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by etech152 View Post
I've been so busy at work that I've not had much time to continue looking into my battery purchase for my 69 Corvette Conv. (w/ Nice Custom Sony/JL Audio Stereo Install)

I am researching and deciding on either the Odessey Battery or the Optima Red top or Yellow Top Battery.

How did your Yellow top Battery install in your C3 (1980). I have a 69 vette. Which model battery fit your C3? 8014-045 or 8042-218 ?

etech152
~
I think its the 8014-045, but ill have to check. It fits fine, right now i'm not using the battery anchor, but i'm pretty sure it would fit just fine.

It fits in the compartment just like the stock battery, using the side terminals.

It should fit your car fine, my dad has a 1970 and is planning to put one in it.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:32 PM
etech152
CF Senior Member

The Odyssey I previously recommended mounts with the stock hardware - I have one in my '68.

Read about them here - http://www.reidsmarine.com/odysseybatt.html
Thanks to All who have posted. I am going with an Odyssey Group 24, "PC1500" (Top Post) Battery - very impressive specs and warranty.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1500t.htm

Red top would have been my 2nd choice but I am going to purchase the Odyssey. Special thanks to Capella for answering many of my questions!

etech152
~

[end]
Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 AM
etech152
CF Senior Member

For future reference to help others who may read this post later while looking for a correct fit battery for your C3, I learned this important note below;

Note: BCI Group size 34 and 74 replaces BCI group size 24, BCI group size 24H, BCI group size 24T, BCI group size 27, BCI group size 27H.

Our C3 (1969) Corvettes use a Group size 24 which Cross to a 34/74

This info helped me out alot once I found this out - but I did not know this until I researched alot. So when I saw the recommended 24PC1500T I could not find it online, type in 24-PC1500t (not clearly found)... type in 34-PC1500t (unknowingly this is the SAME battery...crosses to a BCI Group 24) and there are plenty of references.

Here is the Correct (SAE Group 34, BCI Group 24) Odyssey battery I will order (not sure which vendor yet) But I am sure of the Battery:

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/El...g2928a938.html

Hope this helps someone out!

etech152

`

[end]
Old 12-21-2018, 07:42 PM
titanle
CF Senior Member

How did the new battery work out for you? I need one as well.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:11 AM
68notray
CF Senior Member

Everybody has a different opinion on their favorite battery - me too - I have had nothing but fantastic experience with AC Delco batteries going back 30 years. Got one in all 10 of my cars/trucks.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:56 AM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,106 Times in 1,017 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Wow old thread..back when this thread was started Optima was the go to...had bad luck since then....even Delcos only lasted a yr or two.

Picked up a $59 Wal Mart battery and its been the best so far. Cranks just as well, much longer wihtout being drained. Kinda funny actually...ill never spend a bunch on a battery again. Put another in the DD perfectly happy.

Hear the agm gels are top shelf, wouldnt doubt it.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:42 PM
gkull
CF Senior Member

I thought that AGM was the way to go in my Vette. So I bought one of the Duralast Platinum 900CCA. On road trips my vette might go 400 miles between stops. My charging system was just killing the batteries. You would really need an intelligent charging regulator to use an AGM.

[color=left=#333333]As with all gelled and sealed units, AGM batteries are sensitive to overcharging. A charge to 2.40V/cell (and higher) is fine; however, the float charge should be reduced to between 2.25 and 2.30V/cell (summer temperatures may require lower voltages). Automotive charging systems for flooded lead acid often have a fixed float voltage setting of 14.40V (2.40V/cell); a direct replacement with a sealed unit could overcharge the battery on a long drive.[/color]
Old 12-23-2018, 04:15 PM
carriljc
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Wow old thread..back when this thread was started Optima was the go to...had bad luck since then....even Delcos only lasted a yr or two.

Picked up a $59 Wal Mart battery and its been the best so far. Cranks just as well, much longer wihtout being drained. Kinda funny actually...ill never spend a bunch on a battery again. Put another in the DD perfectly happy.

Hear the agm gels are top shelf, wouldnt doubt it.

I just buy walmart batteries anymore. Had a couple of those fancy red/yellow batteries. Turned out no better (if not worse) than regular batteries. But I did give it a shot.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:45 PM
mrvette
CF Senior Member

Walmart MARINE DEEP CYCLE battery......taller than a 24 series, and capable of long standing/storage.....runs like a charm......fits a C3 no sweat....and it has the great studs next to the lead posts, so you can take the bolts outta your side post bat and just get some nutz for the wires...

OH, did I mention that once in a while you can find the price of a marine batt is cheaper than some car bats.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 69 Vette - Battery Recommendations

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: