C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fiber optics 69

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:38 PM
firstvett69
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fiber optics 69

I am replacing the fiber optic clear plastic lens under the console that holds the optic wires and metal holder for the wires, The plastic holder is broken, can i snip off a little piece of the optic wire to clean it up and reinstall new metal clips and new boots. There were no boots to begin with and the lights worked properly but were very dim. Does anyone know if i snip the optic wire if it will screw it up. Also i assume that the fiber optics work from the actual light from the tail lights, brake and license plate light in there on housing, so if i clean up or snip the other ends in theory this will make them look brighter. Yes, No, maybe or am i off my scooter. Thanks all. firstvett69 350/350 daytona yellow.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Frogday
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have right idea on how the fiber optics work. Whether clipping the ends will make them brighter depends on what the issue is. If the ends have junk on them or are yellowed then that may help. Those old lines get brittle over the years, so they could be kinked and have broken strands farther up the line.

Try tracing them back from some of the lights to check for damage in the insulation. You can shine a flashlight into one end and see how bright it looks at the other.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The fiber strands are glass. If you use something like scissors or 'sidecuts', you will just make a mess of the end. You need to use a very sharp razor blade or X-acto knife and cut it as "square" as you can. You will also have to keep the strands all together so they can't move around while you are cutting. Another alternative is to use a high speed grinding wheel/disc to 'grind' the end face of the fiber bundle smooth. A Dremel with a cut-off wheel might work. Depending on how much you need to shave off, you might be able to "bump" the end of the strands into the face of the wheel [rather than actually cut the end off]. If brightness of the light output is the issue, you should check the condition of the light fiber and the lens on the other end. If the fiber is not close to the light source...or the lens is cloudy/dirty, the light will be severely diminished.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:29 AM
shrekviper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those things actually work? Must be nice...
Old 08-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 69,
Good suggestions!
Each of the headlights had a small rubber 'seal' at the connection between the light and the forward lighting harness. These seals are often missing if the head lights have been changed over the years. Thet DO make it easier to see the headlght optics.
They're shown in the AIM, UPC 12, Sheet A 4. You can make them or buy them from Dr. R.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A brand new razor type blade is my choice with an extremely fast cut. A dremil tool will create enough heat to distort the fiber ends even with a short cut regardless of its rpm setting. It will also leave tiny particles on the end of the strands that will disfuse the optics. A very sharp pair of new sissors will work if the blades are snug and sharp.

Get notified of new replies

To fiber optics 69

Quick Reply: fiber optics 69