C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bent trailing arms and bearing endplay

Old 03-03-2009, 10:50 AM
ragu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bent trailing arms and bearing endplay

I picked up my 68 trailing arms that I dropped off at corvette shop......the owner said after completing the job that they were slightly bent but would toe-in OK.(???). After I returned home I noticed the spindles rotate by hand, but with significant drag. Shouldn't they spin freely if set correctly?
Any thoughts are appreciated. (I think I should have shipped them to Gary).

Old 03-03-2009, 11:06 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

The spindles won't spin freely because of drag from the seals. But it shouldn't take much effort to turn them either. Both arms are quite bent. You will have trouble setting the toe.
The bushing in the right arm isn't going to last very long being cocked like that. Also with the excess metal from the sleeve sticking out past the outer retainer it will be hard to install the shims. I see the old parking brake hardware in there. Did they at least put new springs on? Did they reface the spindles?
Mike
Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 AM
ragu
Instructor

Mike,
I see what you mean about the right bushing, and yes there are some old springs reinstalled also. I assumed the spindles were refaced. Now I'm starting to wonder. What's your thoughts on straightening the arms? I'm trying to get educated before I bring these back. Scott
Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Who ever did the work, I hope they called you to tell you the arms are bent and at that time, you decide wheather to get new ones or not. Most rebuilders give you new bushings, seals, brake hardware, brake shoes and dust shield unless cost was a factor for you.

Who did the work?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:12 PM
ragu
Instructor

The bends weren't pointed out until I picked them up. I was told they were OK. Although this rebuild would be a challenge for me and require tools I don't have, I thought it to be fairly routine for a corvette shop. I won't throw out the name of the shop until I talk with the owner and see what can be done. I'm on a fact finding mission right now and appreciate the feedback. Hopefully what needs to be done will be. I spent several hundred dollars on new parts and other bench work at this place. I hope they stand behind their work.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:21 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Man, I would check those real close. When set to 0015-002 endplay they should still rotate without a lot of drag unless they used the current Mobil 1 grease,which I don't use for bearings anymore.
The arms should be checked everytime you have them apart to rebuild, look over my thread on how to rebuild them.
You might be able to bend them back but I wouldn't. If you run a level line from the pad to the bushing how much out are they?
I would ask what spec they set them do and why the PB hardware wasn't replaced?
Good luck
Old 03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

More reasons I'm glad my ta's are on the way to Gary as we speak!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:41 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ragu
The bends weren't pointed out until I picked them up. I was told they were OK. Although this rebuild would be a challenge for me and require tools I don't have, I thought it to be fairly routine for a corvette shop. I won't throw out the name of the shop until I talk with the owner and see what can be done. I'm on a fact finding mission right now and appreciate the feedback. Hopefully what needs to be done will be. I spent several hundred dollars on new parts and other bench work at this place. I hope they stand behind their work.

Sonds good.

You may want to purchase new or rebuilt T/A's and have them replaced. I would think your shop would do that N/C. If they didn't tell you what end play was you need them to show you. You want to know that.

Good Luck
Old 03-03-2009, 12:53 PM
ragu
Instructor

Hey Gary,
I was going to pm you, but thought this thread might help other forum members. Thanks for responding. Can you send a link of your TA rebuild thread? I've been searching for it. The measurement I came up with is 1/2 inch bend on the right arm and 1/4 inch on the left. Scott
Old 03-03-2009, 12:56 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

I pm'd you my number, if you want to call me I'll be glad to offer any help I can. My threads are often removed here when referencing a repair procedure , but you can find them on other forums.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:57 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Scott,
First thing I check before I rebuild arms is for straightness and damage. I know Gary does too. The problem with straightening and assemblrd arm is it is going to bend somewhere else. The weak points are the stitch welds on the reinforcing plate behind the bearing support.
The arms need to being stripped to be properly straightened if even possible. There's not an easy fix for this one.
Mike
Old 03-03-2009, 01:00 PM
ragu
Instructor

Are the refacing of spindles a given for a 'rebuild' or did I need everything written on paper? Gary I'll give you a call. Wished you lived closer.
Thanks to all on the advice.

Last edited by ragu; 03-03-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:08 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

No, usually the spindles are just blasted and painted. All of them need to be refaced. I've never seen a true original one. They all have a little wobble and the faces are never flat. The are rough machined from the factory and the final machining is done on the rotor. By the looks of the spindles in the pics they weren't even cleaned.
Mike
Old 03-03-2009, 02:35 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Scott,
I took a look through my pictures to see if there was one with a faced flange. Here is one I faced & I'm drilling it for 1/2x3" studs. You can see how smooth the face is.
Hope this helps.
Gary

Old 03-03-2009, 05:30 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I hate to bring this up but if you didn't notice the trailing arms being bent when you removed them and took them in for rebuild, these may not be your original trailing arms.

I'm not saying your guy did anything dishonest just that many shops swap like parts when they are rebuilding. Makes things go faster if they have a pair on hand and don't have to break down the old parts first.

Not saying that's what happened but it could have.

cc

Get notified of new replies

To bent trailing arms and bearing endplay

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bent trailing arms and bearing endplay