C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock air cleaner or aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Moser28
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Stock air cleaner or aftermarket

Hello,
I have an 81 with an aftermarket air cleaner. Everything else is stock including the carb, which will probobly be replaced soon. I have read where the stock air cleaner on these cars works better than the aftermarket ones do. I have most of the old stuff, it just needs to be cleaned and painted. Is it worth it to put the old stuff back on?
Thanks!
Todd
Old 03-11-2009, 01:10 AM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm going to be reusing my stock air cleaner on my '77 when I redo my engine compartment next month. All the aftermarket ones suck in hot air from the engine bay,while the factory ones suck in relatively cool air from ahead of the rad.......cooler = better in my book
Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 AM
RIJVETTES
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reused my air cleaner- but painted it hi temp silver and clear coat, with a K&N inside, and a chrome/ K&N lid. I removed the dual snorkels since they surprisingly don't fit with the L88 hood- but the engine compartment looks cleaner without them anyway, and I don't notice any change in performance of the rebuilt 355.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:23 AM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Moser28
...Everything else is stock including the carb, which will probobly be replaced soon.
Why are you planning to downgrade your carburetor?

I have read where the stock air cleaner on these cars works better than the aftermarket ones do.
You are correct, the '81 dual snorkle set up is excellent (see reply by sstocker31). Put it back on!

Also, the stock air cleaner was chrome and powder coat black. It should just clean up and not need paint.

God bless, Sensei
Old 03-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Moser28
Instructor

I will probably replace the carb with the same thing or have mine rebuilt. The last time I had it in the shop I was told that he could not get it to "open up" all the way and that I would need to get another one sometime in the near future. The computer is still in the car and I don't want to mess with that if I don't have to. Thanks for the responses!
Todd
Old 03-11-2009, 06:38 PM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

The last time I had it in the shop I was told that he could not get it to "open up" all the way and that I would need to get another one sometime in the near future.
Sorry, "he" was a clown. For stock to mildly modified engine, you don't need to do anything to the carb. If you start getting some respectable HP, there are a few mods that will be sure the carb will perform. If you need more detail, PM me.

God bless, Sensei
Old 03-11-2009, 08:03 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I believe that the '81 carb was a one-year only design which had some electronic gizmo in it which helped the control system set correct fuel density (or something of that nature). It is difficult to find anyone with the knowledge to rebuild it correctly. But, if you want to keep it stock [and I would, if I were you], keep that carb...the engine won't run as well with a 'basic' Q-jet carb. You may want to search for info on that specifc carb and how to check it out. I believe that the Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual for '81 has detail on how to check it out and how to adjust it; it does not have info on rebuilding it. [Just trying to make you aware of some things to consider.]
Old 03-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Moser28
Instructor

I would prefer to keep everything stock with maybe a few minor modifications. The car seems to run fine to me. I would like to get a little better mileage if possible. I currently get about 15 MPG now and that maybe all I can get out of it considering that the sticker says 15 MPG.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:57 AM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

I would like to get a little better mileage if possible. I currently get about 15 MPG now and that maybe all I can get out of it considering that the sticker says 15 MPG.
Install a good free flowing exhaust system, tune everything, and you should be able to get 18.

God bless, Sensei
Old 03-12-2009, 10:48 AM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

If your going to rebuild your Qjet, you may want to send it to Cliff at Cliffs hiperformance. He's been dealing with Qjets for many years and just might be the man to redo yours. I have purchased parts from him in the past and his products are top notch. Heres a link to his website, and also check out the forum...lots of good info there

http://cliffshighperformance.com/
Old 03-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Moser28
Instructor

It has headers and true dual exhaust, so I have that covered but they did not have a bung put in for the O2 sensor, so mine is missing. Would that have an effect on mileage?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:18 PM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

It has headers and true dual exhaust, so I have that covered but they did not have a bung put in for the O2 sensor, so mine is missing. Would that have an effect on mileage?
It is surprising you are getting 15 mpg! Without the o2 sensor, your carb is running blind and will usually run so rich that it fouls the plugs. Are you not getting a check engine light or trouble codes?

God bless, Sensei
Old 03-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Moser28
Instructor

When I was behind the guages I noticed that the check engine light was removed. I was shocked because NOBODY removes that light, right? Anyway, I've been wanting to get that back in and maybe get some performance back. I think Bubba may have worked on this car before.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock air cleaner or aftermarket

Quick Reply: Stock air cleaner or aftermarket