C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bee Jay's sway bar mods to fit 9 1/2" and 10 1/2" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by aaroncorvette
Hi Van Steel, What are the pros and cons of raising the diff? I'm after more suspension travel in my lowered vette, will this be of any benefit to me or is this to help bring the halfshafts back to horizontal? Thanks.
This will benefit guys who lower their cars b/c it will help correct the half shaft angle.

My offset sway bar will only work with offset t-arms.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:52 PM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 185 Posts

Van Steel,

The torsional twist resistance on a 5/8" stock replacement bar is about 85 ft/lb. A 3/4" bar is 185 ft/lbs. This bar comes in at 135 ft/lbs.
I've always wondered why suppliers do not give quantitative ratings on sway bars. It would be nice to be able to compare different size bars, and solid vs. hollow bars.

Can you explain how you measured the twist on these sway bars? Do you fixture the bar like it is going to be mounted in the car? I was expecting the spring rating to be like a coil spring; as in pounds per inch deflection.

Thanks,
'Curious' John

Last edited by JohnRR; 12-29-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Previous color of quote was hard to read.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnRR
Van Steel,

The torsional twist resistance on a 5/8" stock replacement bar is about 85 ft/lb. A 3/4" bar is 185 ft/lbs. This bar comes in at 135 ft/lbs.
I've always wondered why suppliers do not give quantitative ratings on sway bars. It would be nice to be able to compare different size bars, and solid vs. hollow bars.

Can you explain how you measured the twist on these sway bars? Do you fixture the bar like it is going to be mounted in the car? I was expecting the spring rating to be like a coil spring; as in pounds per inch deflection.

Thanks,
'Curious' John
My thought is that most don't know. Only the mfg does and people/vendors take their word for it.

One of my guys used to work for the SB mfg, so he has a lot of knowledge about the bars. We gave them dimensions (length of bar, arm length and wire/tube ID) and they plug it into a formula to figure out what the ft/lb. or lbs/in. is.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Zychron
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van Steel
Thanks We try.

No. They will only be offered as a 5/8" bar. The bar would be really still if it was a 3/4" bar as the arms are shorter than OE. The torsional twist resistance on a 5/8" stock replacement bar is about 85 ft/lb. A 3/4" bar is 185 ft/lbs. This bar comes in at 135 ft/lbs.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...r-63-79-a.html

Next on the chopping block is a new diff x-member so you can raise the rear.
It's good that you posted this information however torque measurements (in this form) don't really tell the entire story, they are only good for comparison of the 3 sizes you listed. It is more "normal" to list this as XXft/lbs per degree (torque at displacement).

Do you have this information?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:45 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great Bee Jay!

Ron

Quick Reply: Bee Jay's sway bar mods to fit 9 1/2" and 10 1/2" wheels