C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearend sitting high with positive camber

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:22 PM
71_S-Ray
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rearend sitting high with positive camber

I just got done replacing my rear steel spring with fiberglass, all 6 u-joints, shocks, changed out the diff. fluid, and I'm sure I did more but can't think of it right now.

I put everything back together and now my rearend sits about 2-3" higher with positive camber on the rear tires. I dropped the strut rod brace at the differential that adjusts camber. I did not modify/disconnect them at the adjustment bolts.

Questions:
1. I would expect my rearend to be sitting higher since my steel spring was so worn out, it was nearly bent upwards at the tires. However, I have 8" bolts and the spring is at the end of the bolt, so I have no more adjustment for height. How else can I lower the rear end, or can I go any further?
2. Since my height has changed, am I correct in assuming that my camber is now off because it is sitting higher?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

First, have you moved and bounced your car around enough to make sure and re-settle the suspension?

Yes, static camber changes with ride height. But, just what do you mean when you say that you "dropped the strut rod brace at the differential that adjusts camber"?

Unfortunately, some replacement springs have excessive arc and result in this problem. You'll either need 10" bolts () to gain another 2" drop or to send the spring back and start over.

TSW
Old 03-31-2009, 07:21 PM
71_S-Ray
Instructor

Bounced it all over the place including driving it around. Suspension is settled.

There is a bracket that mounts to the differential connecting the strut rod from the wheel to the differential. I never disconnected the strut rods from the brace. I just unbolted the brace from the differential and dropped the brace and the 2 rods together.

What repercussions would I have going to 10" bolts? Rideability issues?

Note: I have not reinstalled the spare tire and don't plan on doing so, but even with all of my weight (200lbs) on the rear bumper, it still doesn't go as low as I want.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:22 PM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Is it safe to assume you used the longer spring end bolts that came with the composite spring? How far up the threads did you run the nut?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:23 PM
71_S-Ray
Instructor

Oh yeah, where can I find 10" bolts if I took this path?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:24 PM
BTAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

The 8" should be plenty to get to the correct height. 10" may mean needing a shortened spring to avoid hitting the tire.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:25 PM
71_S-Ray
Instructor

Originally Posted by BTAL
Is it safe to assume you used the longer spring end bolts that came with the composite spring? How far up the threads did you run the nut?
I measured the bolts. They are 8". There is a cotter pin hole at the end of the bolt. The nuts are as close to the cotter pins as possible.

Just remembered... I also replace the rubber bushings with Polyurethane. Since these don't compress as much, I'm assuming this is also adding to my ride height...
Old 03-31-2009, 07:25 PM
C3BB4SPD
Advanced

Point of clarification: Did you take the strut rods loose where they connect at the differential, or at the shock mount?

Because if you took them loose at the differential (which is what it sounds like) then unless you un-bolted the entire strut rod bracket from the differential, you had to remove the adjustment bolts.

The only way I know to lower the car is with longer bolts. Are you certain the bolts you have are 8" long?

Which spring did you install?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:28 PM
BTAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 71_S-Ray
I measured the bolts. They are 8". There is a cotter pin hole at the end of the bolt. The nuts are as close to the cotter pins as possible.

Just remembered... I also replace the rubber bushings with Polyurethane. Since these don't compress as much, I'm assuming this is also adding to my ride height...
My composite came with 8" bolts without any cotter holes, but with a lock nut. How much thread is exposed below the nut at the moment?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 PM
71_S-Ray
Instructor

I bought a 330lb composite. There is approximately 1/2" from the end of the bolt to the nut which includes where the cotter pin is located.

I didn't remove/loosen the strut rod bolts on either end. Just disconnected the brace and pushed it down to gain access to the differential.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:40 PM
71_S-Ray
Instructor

Here's the spring I bought:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050G
Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 PM
BTAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 71_S-Ray
IIRC, that is the TRW style spring which supposedly does make the rear set higher. I went with the VB&P 330# which doesn't have the wider flared ends. My nut is ~3/4" - 1" from the end of the 8" bolt and gives me a nice lowered stance.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:55 PM
C3BB4SPD
Advanced

Good spring info.

It's no big deal to adjust the camber. Just loosen the nut on the cam bolt, and rotate the cam using the bolt head until the camber is close. Make sure the (cam) eccentrics are in the same relative position when you're through and re-tighten the nut.

Oh, and you'll want to get it aligned. But be sure to get the ride height where you want it before hand or you'll get to do it again.

10" Grade 8 bolts should be available locally at any most bolt/screw companies. And the only way to find out if it will cause problems by using them is to install them and see. Otherwise you'll need a different rear spring.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
71_S-Ray
Instructor

Originally Posted by BTAL
IIRC, that is the TRW style spring which supposedly does make the rear set higher. I went with the VB&P 330# which doesn't have the wider flared ends. My nut is ~3/4" - 1" from the end of the 8" bolt and gives me a nice lowered stance.

That is a very nice ride height. One I would love to have. I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures to show where I'm at, but new to this forum and uncertain how to do it.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

I wish more people would visit the forums and ask questions before heading out and making purchases. Many folks here have figured things out through trial and error, blood and sweat, and lots of $$$.

The TRW spring is bad news due to the fact that it has too much arch. Van steel is selling the Hypercoil spring which is similar in construction to the TRW, but may have less arch.

VBP has thier own springs which are not flared out and dont have ride height issues as well.

10 inch bolts will most likely dig into your sidewall of your tire if you have OEM 15 inch rims on it.

Send the spring back, if you can.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:46 AM
71_S-Ray
Instructor

Originally Posted by MN-Brent
I wish more people would visit the forums and ask questions before heading out and making purchases. Many folks here have figured things out through trial and error, blood and sweat, and lots of $$$.

The TRW spring is bad news due to the fact that it has too much arch. Van steel is selling the Hypercoil spring which is similar in construction to the TRW, but may have less arch.

VBP has thier own springs which are not flared out and dont have ride height issues as well.

10 inch bolts will most likely dig into your sidewall of your tire if you have OEM 15 inch rims on it.

Definitely too late to send it back... I have the original 15" rims right now and plan to go to 17" in the future, but $$$ will keep that from happening in the "near" future. Too many other things to fix such as I have no exhaust past my tranny.

I'll try to get pics posted to better display my issues. I definitely see what you mean about the digging into the sidewall. They do get close now, but that's also because of the positive camber. I may just have to set the alignment and call it good for now...
Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the TRW spring and 10" bolts. Readjust your camber to 1/2 to 1 degree neg and that may lower your car as the whole thing may be binding. When I had 16 inch wheels I had to grind about a 1/2 inch off the end of my spring so it wouldn't rub. Now with 17's no problem

Get notified of new replies

To Rearend sitting high with positive camber

Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MN-Brent

I had my suspension work done at a Corvette shop. I gave the owner specific instructions that I wanted the car level with moderately soft springs - it's a convertible and I didn't want super stiff suspension. I visited the shop a couple of days later thinking I could see the car apart. Instead, it was outside with the rear end about 5" too high - he had used a TRW spring, which looks like the OP's spring. I told the owner it was unacceptable, so he ordered 10" bolts to lower it. I went home and thought about it and decided that was not the answer, so I called him and told him to replace the spring with a VB&P 330# spring that we had discussed in the first place. The VB&P spring lets the car sit at the correct height with the stock 8" bolts. I was lucky and made the shop eat the cost of all the extra work. And I wouldn't go back there for anything.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:18 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Without doubt, there are number of "Corvette shops" that really don't know much more than how to do 'glass work.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:54 AM
74c3
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey PeteZO6, Where was the corvette shop located? I live in Rocklin .

Quick Reply: Rearend sitting high with positive camber