C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of sway bars should i put on a 72?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 05:25 PM
greg_mckinnon
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of sway bars should i put on a 72?

I've been working on a 1972 Corvette, mainly doing brakes, and the owner of it wants to have performance sway-bars. I took a look on Mid America MotorWorksand there is a wide variety of sizes between tubular and solid sway-bars. My teacher told me to research what size of sway-bars to put the Corvette, so i looked around a bit but didn't really find anythig useful. He was also saying some stuff about how back then they didn't have radial tires, so they sway-bars were tiny. So the owner has radial tires on it, but isn't satisfied with the handling, so asked for performance sway-bars. So if anybody has any kind of info or help or advice, it would be highly appreciated.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

You are better off with a matched set of springs front and rear and sway bars to match. Just throwing on a set of big sway bars is not the right thing to do. I run a 1 1/8 front bar but also have a much modified suspension.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:06 PM
wer2xu
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

is the car a big block or small block? If it was a small block it never had a rear sway bar. If you install a factory big block rear swaybar, it will increase oversteer.

If you increase the size of the front bar it will decrease oversteer. I bet the guy will be happy if you simply install a factory rear sway bar.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
You are better off with a matched set of springs front and rear and sway bars to match. Just throwing on a set of big sway bars is not the right thing to do...

Given the variations between C3's, drivers and their purposes, there is simply not one universal answer to what bar(s) will be the right call in every instance.

As mentioned, adding bar to either end will affect balance, as well as reducing available grip once adequate roll control is achieved, but keep in mind that the combination of both bar(s) and springs determine the amount of resistance to roll there is, not just the bar(s). Also (and this is going to pi$$ off many who swear by them), but depending on the combination of variables in question, rear bar is NOT a necessity on a well sorted C3.

In all practicality, your buddy needs to specifically identify what he doesn't like about the handling and what are his intended purposes (IMCO, if he can't do that, he doesn't know what he wants), then there wouldn't be nearly as much guessing about what would be the right set for him. My $.02 ...PayPal accepted

TSW

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 05-01-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:34 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey guys, Theskunkworks, just opened up a big question to me about the lost control feeling I have at higher speeds. I am going to try to talk to him about it. I have rebuilt the complete suspension on my 82 in stock formation and only added a same size sway bar on the rear. At 85 to 100 MPH I feel like I'm not in complete control of it, I don't like that at all. Thanks for opening this conversation. Doctorgene
Old 05-02-2009, 01:51 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorgene
Hey guys, Theskunkworks, just opened up a big question to me about the lost control feeling I have at higher speeds. I am going to try to talk to him about it. I have rebuilt the complete suspension on my 82 in stock formation and only added a same size sway bar on the rear. At 85 to 100 MPH I feel like I'm not in complete control of it, I don't like that at all. Thanks for opening this conversation. Doctorgene
Got your VM, but in the likelihood this may lead to something of value to the OP...

First, if I am to understand that you've got the same diameter bar on the rear as on the front, you need to remove it before it removes you. Second, "right" or "wrong" rear bar, did you test your car's handling after the rebuild w/o the rear bar to see where you were? Beyond that, assuming the rebuild work was done properly (alignment specs, too) and with quality bits, is the rest of the chassis is in good shape, including such items as the steering box and rear side yoke end play?

IMCO, only after all such items have been addressed and/or eliminated will you have a good baseline from which to judge your car's handling characteristics and to consider making appropriate setup changes. Are we there yet?

Old 05-02-2009, 08:39 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I have factory bars, 7/16 rear and less than 1" in front...7/8?...anyway the front springs are 460 VBP, the rear is a 360 VBP.....VBP Bilsteins finally went on maybe 3 years ago now, vs the KYB's on there for some 12 years......

the tires are on 17x9.5 '89 vette wheels, and 275/50 in rear 255/50 up front....

I am quite happy with ride and handling...

Old 05-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like once a month the sway bar question comes up. If your customer really wants them, 1 1/8 on the front max and the smallest diameter bar made for the rear. Also suggest a good set of shocks, Bilstein sports or Koni reds. Also look at all the bushings, a lot of slop in the suspension joints is going to be helped by add on parts.

Get notified of new replies

To What kind of sway bars should i put on a 72?

Quick Reply: What kind of sway bars should i put on a 72?