C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'68 fuel overflow tube?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:03 PM
ragu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '68 fuel overflow tube?

Any chance this is an overflow tube? It fell off the car when I was removing the spare tire carrier.
The tank is new, and there is no rubber boot around the filler neck. Is this where the tube connects, and if so, can the boot be installed without dropping the tank?
Thanks. '68 SB

Last edited by ragu; 05-11-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:10 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ragu
Any chance this is an overflow tube? It fell off the car when I was removing the spare tire carrier.
The tank is new, and there is no rubber boot around the filler neck. Is this where the tube connects, and if so, can the boot be installed without dropping the tank?
Thanks. '68 SB
Good chance that is the hose that plugs into the rubber boot around the gas filler. The shape of the end probably confirms that, but I don't know exactly what that looks like. The clue that it fell out during spare tire carrier removal supports the idea that that's what it is. Oh, and if you don't have a rubber boot.... no wonder it fell out!

Pretty easy to install the rubber boot around the neck from the top. That was one of the earlier things I did when I got my 68. The rubber is pretty soft and bendable and you just stuff it in.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Yep that is it. It should run down behind the license plate.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Most often it is a no drain tube. If stopped up, and it usually is, water will enter the gas tank and cause a bunch of grief. So it is better to leave it off and save your gas tank.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM
ragu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I'll add the boot/tube replacement to my endless 'to do' list.

Get notified of new replies

To '68 fuel overflow tube?

Quick Reply: '68 fuel overflow tube?