C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spectre Aftermarket Dual Snorkle Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:48 AM
OregonVette80
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock'n Old
The dual plenum is not that low-profile, and I needed the space.

thx.

I need the space too. with my performer EPS intake and carb, it's very snug with my low profile, circular air-cleaner.
Plus, I am certain that it just doesnt get enough cool, fresh air especially on these hot days/autoX dates
Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Rock'n Old
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
i wonder if this low profile thing from spectre shown above will allow a performer intake on a BBC to fit under the stock hood.
I have Edelbrock Performer intake with a Demon carb, on 350 SB, and it fits nicely with standard hood.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:50 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Old
I have Edelbrock Performer intake with a Demon carb, on 350 SB, and it fits nicely with standard hood.
maybe so but i am not going to get rid of my BBC to put a small block in just to fit an intake.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Rock'n Old
Instructor

Originally Posted by baxsom
maybe so but i am not going to get rid of my BBC to put a small block in just to fit an intake.
I never suggested that either.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:59 PM
71_S-Ray
Instructor

Originally Posted by QuicheLorraine
Don't buy anything made by Spectre. Cheap Azzed Chinese stuff.
I'll resort to cardboard and duct tape before using Spectre on my Vette. That would be about the same quality.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:08 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

The problem with the low profile bonnet is that it only flows 675 cfm according to Spectres website. The dual my be an option
Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A few years back I had a homemade dual snorkle on my SB 71 with low profile hood. I used a dual intake from a truck that I picked up from a junkyard and a pair of hard plastic scoops from a Camaro. The scoops attached to the radiator frame where the foam filler piece is supposed to be and caught air coming up the face of the radiator.
I used a remote thermomter to check air temps and above about 20MPH, the temp in the ducts matched the outside air temp.
Sorry I don't have a pic since I replaced it with the TPI.
I now have a BB hood over my TPI and have installed a similar idea with a sheetmetal scoop that surrounds the air filter on the throttle body, goes forward from the bottom of the TB to the radiator frame. The hood forms the tops of the intake with foam seals along the side. Temperature readings comfirm that it works.....

BTW, a 10 degree drop in air temp = a 1% increase in HP.....In my case, the difference between engine bay air temp and outside air temp is typically 50 degrees = 5% more HP for free.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Vette79C3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 502vett
Anyone ever use this aftermarket dual snorkel cold air intake made by spectre?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/728/10002/-1

I am running a zz502 BB in a 1980 with an aftermarket high-rise hood and am wondering if this would flow enough CFM to feed the 502?

I am having some performance issues that I think are being caused by the underhood temperature being too hot and I have been given a few opinions by people that I should wrap my hooker headers (I am currently doing this) and I have also been told that a CAI will also really improve the performance (but I want to here more opinions about this first).

As noted above, even with the high-rise hood, there is not much air-cleaner space left with a BB so any suggestions will help.

Thanks
I'm working with George over at Spectre Performance in Southern California. Here's what he had to say:

Jeffrey,

We have not made anything that is application specific for the C3 Corvettes yet. Are you local to Southern California, if so, maybe we could schedule to bring your car into the shop for product development? Because of the space constraints under the hood, it is challenging to say the least for these cars. We do have a new part that has come out in the recent weeks that may work. It is part number #98638 (http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.98638). This only requires 2.5” of clearance above the carburetor flange. This would be a good start, but you would have to find a place to duct the air too. Take a look at the link and let me know what you think. If you can some good pictures of the front half of the engine bay would be very helpful. You can send them to me at georgel@spectreperformance.com or call at (909)-673-9800 ext 336

Thanks

George

George Luna ~ Spectre Performance

Engineering Support

georgel@spectreperformance.com

(909).673.9800 ext.336

1720 S. Carlos Ave ~ Ontario CA 91761

Office hours Mon-Thurs 6:00am-4:30PM PST
Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 PM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did you guys end up doing? I have a 76 sm 350 with an L-82 hood. Wondering what will work best.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:19 PM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

I talked to member "pauldana" today about the system he is building( check it out under his name). Very impressive. He is currently trying to get a flow meter to check the amount of air flow. Send him an email, and he will be more than happy to talk about the system he is working on.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:24 PM
moonsteel
Holley HP EFI w/TPI
Support Corvetteforum!

cold air, why not use the cowl induction setup from 73-74
Old 08-24-2010, 09:42 PM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Cool thanks
Old 08-24-2010, 09:42 PM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

cowl induction setup from 73-74 ? Can you point me to where I can find out details?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

I have a 73 with mild prformance engine and the stock induction only works when Your into the gas enough to trip a switch. Then the cowl opens for more air. I plan on making something like pictured below but try to seal it off at the firewall hood line. The reason being that I find hot air escapes over fire wall and runs down the cowl vent drain? ( where the windshield wipers sit). Then I get hot air coming in the vents, hopefully this would also cure that as well. Im probabl not going to do this until winter. I was going to make a wooden mould and make one out of fiberglass, but that metal one has a nice look to it also. I thought it would add to the look if I used the stingray letters raised out of the fiberglass? I may be in way over My head on that one? Thats why Im waiting until winter to try it. When You Guys have done Yours I wouldn't mined a P.M. to see the results

Originally Posted by 502vett
Thanks for the replies;

After doing some searching on this forum, I think I might try to fabricate a cowl induction air cleaner base like the ones below since my high-rise hood has a cowl opening in the back:

I think this will be my best option for cold air flow volume and it allows be too keep my 14"x3" K&N filter with Xtreme lid. I'll post some pics up when i have it finished.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 AM
moonsteel
Holley HP EFI w/TPI
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Timsride
I have a 73 with mild prformance engine and the stock induction only works when Your into the gas enough to trip a switch. Then the cowl opens for more air.
I yanked the flapper plate out, so it's open to the cold air all the time.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:32 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by sweeet76
I talked to member "pauldana" today about the system he is building( check it out under his name). Very impressive. He is currently trying to get a flow meter to check the amount of air flow. Send him an email, and he will be more than happy to talk about the system he is working on.
thx!!!...

Last edited by pauldana; 09-30-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Spectre Aftermarket Dual Snorkle Cold Air Intake