C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRUNCH! Help...my door had an accident

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Turbotrad
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default CRUNCH! Help...my door had an accident

This is what happens when a moveable object meets an immovable object...

My question is how can I stop the flaking of the fiberglass?

I don't have any information on the paint color so matching colors and doing an all out repair would be a lot of work. I'm thinking that if I could just seal off the flaking area that would make me happy since it seems a little overkill to try to repaint a huge section of a door just to fix a little area.

Lucky for me this happens to be one of the strongest sections of the door so the damage isn't any greater than what you see.

Any ideas?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Just curious how you damaged the door there?

Tape it off good, filler, sand, prime, and apply paint via a small touch up gun or brush.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:24 AM
temvette72
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used an Evercoat product for similar damage that had fiberglass strands in it. Then I skim coated it with regular "bondo". It was my experience that the Evercoat with fiber in it tended to get little pinholes, hence the requirement for a skim coat.

Temvette72
Old 06-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Turbotrad
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Small garage, door open, let the car move backward by accident when I shouldn't have...contact

Basically it was a total bonehead moment

So if you are wondering how not to let this happen to your car...

1. Have a large garage

2. If there is ever a chance the car will move on or off, keep the doors closed

3. Don't be a complete bonehead...like me

ugh
Old 06-12-2009, 04:58 PM
johns73
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did the eaxct same thing this spring. I need a paint job and will take care of the then. So now there are two bone heads.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:42 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I would tape it off like mentioned, clean it out, wipe it with laquer thinner and use this awesome stuff called fibral. The match the paint as best you can.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/u-po...5131-1062.aspx
Old 06-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Mark-Ia
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many places that mix and sell paint have a gun that will scan the paint and formulate the matching color for your door.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:03 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If you are worried about the match or the paint work, do the repairs and then. . . This might take some work to track one down but most high end auto dealers have on call what I’ve always called a paint witch! These guys will usually pull up in a truck and have enough paint on the truck to mix and match almost any color. They are not expensive and the work is usually outstanding. . . . So check around and if you have a used car dealer that deals in high end cars you might stop by and ask one of them who they use.

Case and point! We had a customer that was driving his car on an old country road one day and hit a tree limb. The limb flipped up and poked a hole in the fender . . . two days before his daughter was to be married and she was using the car!

This car was metallic silver and even though at the time I owned a body shop, it was easier for us to call this guy in for the paint work than to have my guys trying to match and blend in the color.

As mentioned above, some paint supply stores have a scanner and can scan the color for you, however there is a margin for error.

Sorry about your door, and good luck.

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To CRUNCH! Help...my door had an accident

Quick Reply: CRUNCH! Help...my door had an accident