C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rust and holes in rear frame ? 69

Old 06-08-2009, 08:53 PM
73 stingray
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rust and holes in rear frame ? 69

has anyone had there rear frame repaired and welded ?
Is this rust fixable without taking the body off ?

any suggestions??

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-08-2009, 11:07 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You are probably going to find that the differential crossmember is pretty rusted out as well as the trailing arm pockets, and if you feel inside the frame rail through the holes you may find big chunks of rust scale. That would mean that the metal that is left is much thinner than original and will probably fail sooner than later.

Take a pointed body hammer and tap all over the frame, especially where the rust holes are. If you hear dull thuds that means there is a hole waiting to appear. If you knock off all of the rust scale in the pics you posted you will probably find many more holes.

My 72 frame looked a lot like yours and when I started poking around I decided to look for a replacement frame since I was going to be installing a much stronger motor than the stock one.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you frame looks like it might be shot. The serial numbers are probably long gone if the rest of the frame is that rusty so I wouldn't worry about preserving the originality of the frame. Safety is more important.

You can buy or fabricate replacement pieces for the frame sections, but I believe you can buy a reproduction frame for $4-5,000. so you have to consider the costs to repair your frame.

Rick B.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 73,
I agree that your rust looks pretty serious, as Rick posted. The body really needs to be lifted to assess what's going on and to fix the frame (if its repairable).
Not a pretty picture or thought. Sorry!
Regards,
Alan
Old 06-09-2009, 05:41 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I see a frame off in your future !
your gonna have to pull the body ... start looking for a frame.
bummer... 69VETT
Old 06-09-2009, 07:09 PM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 73,
I agree that your rust looks pretty serious, as Rick posted. The body really needs to be lifted to assess what's going on and to fix the frame (if its repairable).
Regards,
Alan

Doesn't look good, sorry to say.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 73,
Regards,
Alan
I'm afraid to be in consensus with others. You need a new frame. Sorry....
Old 06-09-2009, 09:25 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with all of the above, the frame on my 73 looked similar to that before I lifted the body. WHen I got the body off it was really bad.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:26 PM
73 stingray
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default thanks for the help and ideas

Here is some more pics of the rear frame area. I do have a 73 coupe I will be parting out and it has an excellant frame under it. I may in the future 5 years or so do a body off and use the 73 frame on my 69 vert.

But for the time being I think I will get someone to weld and reinforce the rusted trailing arm area. but not sure if it can be done with the body on the frame?

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-09-2009, 09:35 PM
robC-1965
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '78 was the same way - Good luck, that is why mine turned into a frame off restore, had a friend redo the frame, did a really good job, but took a while. Now i have trouble putting old parts onto it and just keep spending more money - tough to get it back on the road..............But when I do it should last me awhile
Old 06-09-2009, 10:02 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

The differential crossmember looks like it maybe has been wirebrushed? I would take a pointed body hammer and bang on that whole crossmember. I think you are going to find holes when the scale chips off. The diff crossmember is what ties the front and rear portions of the frame together so it is a vital piece. Remember, if you have a structural failure while driving you could easily lose control of the car and these things are not exactly Volvos when it comes to crash protection.

Rick B.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:03 PM
73 stingray
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

The frame is mostly ok but where the trailing arms go is very rusty.

Is it safe to have a welder weld some peices in for the time being. pretty much so it lasts for awhile?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:31 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 73 stingray
The frame is mostly ok but where the trailing arms go is very rusty.

Is it safe to have a welder weld some peices in for the time being. pretty much so it lasts for awhile?
You should remove the gas tank before doing any welding to be safe. You're going to have to grind down the metal to get clean surfaces to weld on. If you are just going to patch over the holes in the pics I don't know if it will be worth the effort.

I completely understand your reluctance to get into a major restoration but IMO you are just postponing the inevitable for a short time. I know what's under the rust coating on your differential crossmember and I wouldn't waste any time trying to put the funds together for a complete frame replacement and chassis rebuild. If you replace the frame and rebuild the suspension and replace all of the fuel/brake lines you will have a completely solid foundation for whatever else you want to do to the car. This is assuming you do (and like to do) a lot of work yourself. I find it enjoyable but others like to write checks to shops.

If you are just cruising around with your car you might be OK for a while with that degree of frame rot. If you are intending to do any real stressfull driving I would worry about something bad happening. My frame looked similar to yours and I decided to replace it. What you do is up to you.

Rick B.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:38 PM
73 stingray
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

When it comes time to replace the frame on the 69 vert will a 73 coupe frame work ?

both cars are manual trans.
I think I can but the body mounts on the 73 I think are a little lower?

I post pics of 73 frame soon
thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 11:14 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 73 stingray
When it comes time to replace the frame on the 69 vert will a 73 coupe frame work ?

both cars are manual trans.
I think I can but the body mounts on the 73 I think are a little lower?

I post pics of 73 frame soon
thanks
Pics of the 69 frame would help. I know what the 73 frame looks like. I don't think there are major differences as far as extra bracing goes, but you would know better after you get the body off the 69. You will probably have to make some minor mods to the front bumper brackets to align them with the holes on the 73 frame horns. The bumper brackets on my 72 didn't all line up with the 73 frame since 73 went to the rubber bumper design so I had to drill a couple of holes in the bumper brackets and elongate a couple of others to get things to fit. I chose not to drill the frame horns.

I wouldn't worry about the body mounts. I used to think there was a big difference in the mount height due to to the rubber mounts, but after examining frame drawings for both types of frames the difference in bracket height amounts to 1/8" or less. If you are curious, forum member BarryK has dimensional drawings for both types of frames on his website.

Rick B.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

the frame on a 69 and 73 are different. at a minimum the front bumper mounting braces and horn extensions will be different.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

We can advise...from a distance...from photos. But you need to take it to a reputable frame shop and ask for a thorough assessment of your frame's condition. Tell them up front that you will gladly pay for their time and advice [so they don't think they are giving a 'freebie' and getting stiffed], and that you want to know what options you have for repairing just the significant structural issues.

You will have a better idea of what you are up against after their review; then you can make an informed choice. Many significant frame problems can be repaired 'on the car'. Those repairs may not be cosmetically attractive, but such repairs can provide adequate strength for normal use.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:27 PM
73 stingray
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks for the info and advice.
I do plan on fixing or patching up the 69 frame to last 5 or so years like I said earlier.

Here is some pics of my 73 frame

I had the 73 coupe for about 10 years now and it has been sitting in my garage not running. needs paint but the frame is in mint condition.
but mainly just needs to be sandblasted and powder coated.

[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Get notified of new replies

To rust and holes in rear frame ? 69

Old 12-17-2012, 02:16 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

So what did you end up doing with the 69?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Original post is June 2009.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom454
Original post is June 2009.
Yes, I know. Poster is still active on the forum so maybe he will notice a reply to his thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rust and holes in rear frame ? 69