C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Napa is clueless, choosing water pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 PM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I avoid the NAPA closest to me like the plague.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mvette76
no they don't need to have intimate knowledge of every part for every car but they do sell differerent line of parts for the same application the should know what line is the better product for money!
And how exactly would they acquire that knowledge? Do you think that they get sent to 'NAPA University' for 6 months to understand the manufacturing and overhaul processes behind every supplier so they can engage in meaningful and informative discussion with every potential customer on every part no matter how obscure the question?

The OP asked 'which one is better'. This implies that the NAPA guy would have knowledge of the relative attributes of two parts from two different suppliers and be in a position to independently rate them for comparative quality.

Guess you've never worked retail.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you buy "hard parts" based soley on co$t, you will give any savings back in short order with early failures. And then, there are folks who just 'get lucky'. Not all cheaply made components fail...just a lot more of them then the 'quality' parts along with many early failures. In any event, it's a lot like insurance...are you willing to pay a bit more for the added confidence that something won't have a problem?

Ironcross [and others] apparently operate by the "Spend less today and fix the bad ones (again) later"....which is a valid, cost saving strategy. For critical wear & strength parts and those that are buried under lots of other stuff, I'm more of a "Pay now and not later" kind of guy.
Not exactly true in all situations. My Dad`s auto parts store was one of the largest in the Detroit/Wayne county Michigan and was a warehouse distributor meaning it placed and bought parts as a warehouse capable of selling to other auto parts stores at jobber...All the parts were top of the line and I do know having grown up in a parts store frirst opened after he served in WW II and open the store in 1945. So therefore I do know cost prices much better than most. My suggestions were based upon that and some here would like to know if another part is as good and priced correctly...Personally I dont care what they or you pay. But if you have a deal somewhere pass it on as some may need one.....

Last edited by Ironcross; 06-16-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:06 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

That manager really blew it. He should have just picked one and lied that it was better like everyone else in retail does. Then you'd be happy with your new water pump.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes Sir: I don't quite understand, I just went on line to Weiand and they told me just what I wanted to know and their the people who made them. I bought the best they had to offer for my Vette, ( WND 8221 Weiand ) I treat my wife the same way as my vette. Always the best, and I always get in the last words, Yes ma'am. LOL Have a great one. Gene
Old 06-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
And how exactly would they acquire that knowledge? Do you think that they get sent to 'NAPA University' for 6 months to understand the manufacturing and overhaul processes behind every supplier so they can engage in meaningful and informative discussion with every potential customer on every part no matter how obscure the question?

The OP asked 'which one is better'. This implies that the NAPA guy would have knowledge of the relative attributes of two parts from two different suppliers and be in a position to independently rate them for comparative quality.

Guess you've never worked retail.
Mike,

There remains at least one GM dealer and one NAPA oulet in Ottawa that has people who can rhyme off part numbers by your description of your need without looking at a computer. They know the good parts from the cheap/bad. But if you want to go cheap they will sell you the bad, with a warning. Sadly these people are phasing out of the workforce.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
Mike,

There remains at least one GM dealer and one NAPA oulet in Ottawa that has people who can rhyme off part numbers by your description of your need without looking at a computer. They know the good parts from the cheap/bad. But if you want to go cheap they will sell you the bad, with a warning. Sadly these people are phasing out of the workforce.
You're a fortunate man Paul- I have the opposite situation here. 90% of the zombies behind the counter here don't understand the words 'water pump'. If you know what I mean.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:00 AM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stand by my "do your own homework statement". My NAPA store sits on what was a cow pasture six months ago. The local Advance store is less than a year old. AutoZone has been here since before I moved here (20 years ago), and I have never seen the same person behind the counter twice. My O'Reilly's store is better at keeping their personnel around, but their primary business,and knowledge base is in cars built in the last ten years. All of these outlets have relatively good online databases where I can research parts and get the correct parts for my car.

Quick Reply: Napa is clueless, choosing water pump