C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOT the same old poly bushing install question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 04:41 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOT the same old poly bushing install question.

Question, for those of you who have done it. Do I need to reomve the metal sleve around the stock bushing to use a poly bushing? -Thanks in advance.
After completing my front end rebuild I will make a site which addresses all of these questions. No I do not have a press a home :sad:
Old 02-13-2002, 04:48 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: NOT the same old poly bushing install question. (TJKirby82CE)

My poly bushings came from Vette Brakes, and they required the removal of both the inner and outer metal sleeves. That wasn't too hard. I burned out the rubber with my little propane torch, then drove out the sleeves (a.k.a., "shells") with a hammer and punch, after spraying the interference-fit area with Liquid Wrench.

I put the new bushings in the new shells with lots of TefCone lubricant, then put them in the freezer to shrink them just a tad. Heated up the control arms a little with the torch, then popped the bushing/shell assemblies in using a wood block and a hammer. Pretty easy, really.

I seem to recall reading about someone doing a poly bushing installation where they retained the original shells, eliminating a lot of the removal/installation work. I'm not really sure that's possible, tho, because of the way the pivot shaft is captured by the shell... ?

Good luck!
:seeya

[Modified by Gator81, 2:49 PM 2/13/2002]
Old 02-13-2002, 07:04 PM
BLT-71
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NOT the same old poly bushing install question. (TJKirby82CE)

I used my original outer shells, basically because they were in great condition and receive no actual wear.
I cut out the rubber with a hole saw on a drill, made it very easy and no smoke or fire. I used the Vette brakes kit also, the outers are the same as stock. Made the rebuild a breeze and I didn't have to have anything pressed in or out.

Get notified of new replies

To NOT the same old poly bushing install question.

Quick Reply: NOT the same old poly bushing install question.