C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Chassis Stiffness vs. C5

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 12:00 AM
Noel Carboni
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Chassis Stiffness vs. C5

I was debating 'Vettes with a friend of mine and the subject of chassis stiffness came up. The common lore is that "the C5 has this wonderfully rigid chassis".

I know that the C5 is stiffer than the wiggly-wobbly C4, with no frame and no T in the top, but it seems to me our beloved C3s have these great heavy frames and (the coupes at least) this nice bar running up the middle of the roof. I know my car doesn't seem to flex much at all.

Anyone care to compare a C5 to C3? I haven't personally driven nor ridden in a C5. I have passed a few on the track tho... :D

-Noel

[Modified by Noel Carboni, 4:01 AM 2/14/2002]
Old 02-14-2002, 12:05 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: C3 Chassis Stiffness vs. C5 (Noel Carboni)

Hello Noel,

It's been awhile since we last talked. How have you been?

Yes, even with the frame seam welded as mine is, the C5 is more rigid. But not enough to make me think less of my 69, it is one great car!

Chuck
Old 02-14-2002, 12:29 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

The C5 is a single solid unit. the C3 has a very strong, stiff, and heavy frame. It also has a fairly solid body. But the frame and body bolt together with eight body mounts that are designed to allow movement. The the frame and body do not act like a solid unit as the C5 does. Advantage C5.

tom...
Old 02-14-2002, 12:34 AM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: C3 Chassis Stiffness vs. C5 (Tom73)

The C5 has a sick rigid frame. I can't remember the name of the book now of course, maybe it was All Corvette's are Red. It's about the development of the C5. The engineers were blown away when they found out how rigid the new hydroformed frame rails turned out to be. It was something like an order of magnitude more rigid than they could have dreamt for. It really is an incredibly rigid, great frame. Definitely more rigid and lighter than our C3's.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:40 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no idea what units of measure are used to express "ridgidity" but it would be cool to learn about and see the actual differences between the two cars.
I'm sure that most of you have seen or heard of the method used for testing an off-road vehicles suspension where they drive one front wheel up a ramp until one of the other tires lift off the pavement. I wonder if you could do the same with Vettes for a type of suspension/chassis ridgidity evaluation? Same principal as the off-road test ramp but looking for the opposite results that off-road vehicles desire.
I can see it now. . . Future Corvette events featuring the "Suspension Test Ramp" to see how articulate your suspension ISN'T! :lol:
Old 02-14-2002, 07:07 AM
Noel Carboni
Pro

Default Re: C3 Chassis Stiffness vs. C5 (Chuck Harmon)

Thanks, all, for the responses.

Hi, Chuck,

I've been good. :crazy: I was pointed to a post on the Steeroids conversion on this site and got to reading other posts, which convinced me to join. Now, instead of sleeping in the wee hours of the morning, here I am. :)

-Noel
Old 02-14-2002, 08:27 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Rigidity is usually measured in degrees twist per torsional load.... Basically you try and twist it with a known load and measure the degrees of twist that the frame bent.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Chassis Stiffness vs. C5

Quick Reply: C3 Chassis Stiffness vs. C5