C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mandrel Exhaust Kits for a C3

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:44 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Mandrel Exhaust Kits for a C3

It's been a while since I've researched this topic but what are today's options for a kit, mandrel-bent exhaust pipes, from headers back (full length headers) for our C3's? I'm looking to install it on my BB 73. Would like to go 3" if anybody makes a nice-fitting set. I understand 3" will just clear through the tranny cross-member.

But will consider 2.5" if 3" isn't available.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Magnaflow and Stainless Works quickly come to mind for your answer.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:01 PM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Pypes
Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 PM
retroLS1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just ordered the Magnaflow big block exhaust to use with our LS1. 2.5" throughout. That should flow plenty unless you plan on going with forced induction later on. Part number is 16841.

http://www.planetmagnaflow.com/shop/...16841-961.html

If you plan to go that route, I highly recommend trying out that 'make an offer' button - worked well for us.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Fishndude
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think all kits will require you to have the pipes from the headers to the trans crossmember bent at a muffler shop.. Some kits will supply the pipe but they wont supply pre bent pipe for the first few feet after the collector because there are to many variables..
Old 07-27-2009, 07:57 PM
retroLS1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the Magnaflow kit is designed to connect to stock headers, but I may be incorrect. Best check with them before purchasing.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:08 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishndude
I think all kits will require you to have the pipes from the headers to the trans crossmember bent at a muffler shop.. Some kits will supply the pipe but they wont supply pre bent pipe for the first few feet after the collector because there are to many variables..
While your there at the exhaust shop might as well get the rest fabricated for you too, probably won't cost much more and could cost you less, at least it will fit correctly
Old 07-27-2009, 09:39 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a great pipe bender/welder here,..a placed called Muffin Muffler who's custom fit half the performance cars in this area.

What they don't have (nor do most) is mandrel equipment. I thought I'd purchase a kit and let my guy weld it up.

Agree, there are lots of variables.

I may run 3" head pipes to an X-Pipe then 2.5" from there. Or, I may go 3" all the way. (Engine is a 500-hp 496).

Thinking out loud.

Advice welcome.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:30 PM
dstaley
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if it will help you any, but I bought a Magnaflow kit and modified it to work with my header equipped smallblock. I bought the 2-1/2" kit 16836 for my '76.

I cut up the kit downpipes to make the new segment from the header collectors to the X-pipe. I shortened the X-pipe portion on the front and removed the kit hangers (although I did use the car's original exhaust support on the front of the transmission crossmember) in order to clear my Dragvette drive shaft safety loop. I lengthened the diagonal back legs of the X-pipe to separate the tubes as they pass under the rear crossmember for more ground clearance, which also moved the left one away from the ground cable. I also shortened what remained of the rear of the X-pipe to put the mufflers in their proper positions.

The modifications were extensive but the fit and sound are outstanding, and ground clearance is as good as it could ever be from a 2-1/2" system. It took about 30 hours of work, the first time I had ever done it, on a friend's lift and doing all my own TIG welding. I'm not an experienced TIG weldor so someone who is would undoubtedly get done more quickly. I'm extremely pleased with the outcome.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:59 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

I bought some mandrel bent pipes from Stainless Works... Nice pipes with full diameter bends. They do offer transition pipes from their headers to the rest of their system:
http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/p...roducts_id=914

Get notified of new replies

To Mandrel Exhaust Kits for a C3

Quick Reply: Mandrel Exhaust Kits for a C3