C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Hooker Side Pipe & O2 Bung Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Stanthehandyman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 Hooker Side Pipe & O2 Bung Help

I am new to this Forum and want to thank everyone that have helped me out this past couple of months.

Is anyone running Hooker side pipes on their stock 81 that still has computer hooked up and if so did you put the O2 bung in the collector or on the number 7 downtube?

I've heard the pros and cons of doing both on this forum and would just like to talk with someone that has a stock 81 and has done one or both.

Also, if I do put the O2 sensor in the collector should I use a heated one? Will a heated O2 sensor work correctly that far away?

I look forward to your input.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:11 PM
82CEtuner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stanthehandyman
I am new to this Forum and want to thank everyone that have helped me out this past couple of months.

Is anyone running Hooker side pipes on their stock 81 that still has computer hooked up and if so did you put the O2 bung in the collector or on the number 7 downtube?

I've heard the pros and cons of doing both on this forum and would just like to talk with someone that has a stock 81 and has done one or both.

Also, if I do put the O2 sensor in the collector should I use a heated one? Will a heated O2 sensor work correctly that far away?

I look forward to your input.
I just got the orignal one for my car, then purchased a harness extender.

I am putting mine in the driver side collector, I would not put it in one of the primaries theres no way it can read the right amount of air in that position.

If you never plan to go fuel injected you are better off just removing the 02 anyways along with all the other smog gear.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:22 AM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

The CCC system is very forgiving so you can get away with a lot. If the sensor is too far away, you may need to replace it with a heated one, but I have seen threads where people had a hard time finding a heated one that would work.

I don't know of any reason the #7 primary would not work.

Originally Posted by 82CEtuner
If you never plan to go fuel injected you are better off just removing the 02 anyways along with all the other smog gear.
You can't just remove the O2 sensor without throwing away hundreds of dollars to replace the E4ME carburetor and distributor. I say throwing away because the E4ME is a superior unit to anything you can buy on the aftermarket to replace it.

God bless, Sensei
Old 08-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Stanthehandyman
Intermediate

82CEtuner...Is your 82 running OK with the O2 sensor mounted in the collector? And you said this was just a regular O2 and not the heated one, right?

I also saw on your profile that you purchased your side pipes on eBay from XS Power. I too saw these on eBay and also some pictures of them on this forum. Post some pictures of your 82 so we can have a look.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Stanthehandyman
Intermediate

a1sensei...Yep if I ditch the O2 sensor I would have to replace the distributor and carb and that is one of the options I have on the table at this time. I am still waiting to hear from someone on the forum that has a stock 81 with their sensor mounted on the #7 tube and see what they say.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:18 PM
82CEtuner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stanthehandyman
a1sensei...Yep if I ditch the O2 sensor I would have to replace the distributor and carb and that is one of the options I have on the table at this time. I am still waiting to hear from someone on the forum that has a stock 81 with their sensor mounted on the #7 tube and see what they say.

My system is not installed yet, However I decided to put it in the collector because all the info I have gathered from those that DO have a 80s model c3 have it in a collector.

maybe the number 7 primary would work, but for me I plan to swap out to a LS3 next year, and that will require me to have 02s in both collectors, so I might as well put it in the same place now that it will have to go later.

The info I have gathered from the guys at digital corvettes that have the SAME headers I do all put them in the driver side collector and it runs just fine.

P.S. if you have a regular 02 and it does not run right and you need to go with a heated one, you are only out 30 bucks or so.

if you put it in the number 7 primary and it runs good then leave it that way, if not its not like it cannot be fixed, all you have to do is buy a cap and screw it in the hole and move your 02.

Nothing wrong with experimmenting, but if you want to do what for sure works you will want to put it in the collector. the only issue I have heard with the collector is it will be more on the underside or side instead of on top, so the 02 life could be cut short due to condensation building up in it, putting it on top of coarse would be very unsightly and ugly.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Stanthehandyman
Intermediate

Great info and many thanks for the tips and I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Post some pictures of your car when it is ready.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Hooker Side Pipe & O2 Bung Help

Quick Reply: 1981 Hooker Side Pipe & O2 Bung Help