C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signal fuse blown need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:30 PM
bop
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default turn signal fuse blown need help

71 vette LT1 all park lights work just no turn signals replaced flasher and 20 amp fuse and it blew again. I am leaving for Bowling Green next wenesday be nice to have turn signals any information would be helpful thanks.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:34 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Do your brake lights work OK ?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 PM
bop
Pro

Brake lights work ok.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:14 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by bop
Brake lights work ok.
Do you have to turn on the signals to blow the fuse ? The fuse also feeds the back up lights.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:31 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

If you have had the dash piece under the column off lately make sure you didnt put a long screw in the center screw hole. It sometimes goes into the front signal wires and shorts them out.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:10 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The "flasher" in the fuse block is NOT for the turn signals....it's for the emergency flasher. The turn signal flasher is located behind and toward the bottom edge of the right side dash panel. There is a clip on the backside of the panel where that flasher unit is placed. Replace that flasher with the one you removed from the fuse panel...it's probably still good.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:03 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The "flasher" in the fuse block is NOT for the turn signals....it's for the emergency flasher. The turn signal flasher is located behind and toward the bottom edge of the right side dash panel. There is a clip on the backside of the panel where that flasher unit is placed. Replace that flasher with the one you removed from the fuse panel...it's probably still good.
Good thought
Old 08-26-2009, 09:18 AM
bop
Pro

Originally Posted by dwncchs
good thought
the fuse blowes when the ing switch is turned on with the turn signal switch in the off position i am going to replace the other flasher but i dont think it will fix the problem.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 AM
bop
Pro

Originally Posted by bop
the fuse blowes when the ing switch is turned on with the turn signal switch in the off position i am going to replace the other flasher but i dont think it will fix the problem.
answer to your other question the dash pad has not been out of the car in over a year and everything wes working fine until the fuse blew.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:47 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by bop
Try leaving the flasher out and then replace the fuse and see if the fuse blows when you turn the key on. That will help us. If it blows with the turn flasher out you have to unplug the neutral safety switch next.( a shorted through flasher should only leave the lights on with no flashing)
Old 08-26-2009, 05:00 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It could be a failure of the turn signal switch itself. There are metal springs/parts which could cause such a short if they are broken and/or got loose into the electrical contacts.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 PM
bop
Pro

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Try leaving the flasher out and then replace the fuse and see if the fuse blows when you turn the key on. That will help us. If it blows with the turn flasher out you have to unplug the neutral safety switch next.( a shorted through flasher should only leave the lights on with no flashing)
thanks for your help going to take it to a repair shop tomorow worked with puting a power valve in the carb today advance sold me the wrong gaskets and ended up pulling the front bowel off the carb 4 times so i am sick of a corvette.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:41 PM
bop
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
It could be a failure of the turn signal switch itself. There are metal springs/parts which could cause such a short if they are broken and/or got loose into the electrical contacts.
Thanks for the help car is going to a repair shop tomorow may see you in BGif you are going staying at micro tel exit 22 off 65 my car is a steel cities gray LT1 conv.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:15 PM
beachboypa
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi Did you ever solve your turn light fuse problem? I am having a simlar problem with mine

thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 10:16 AM
auavette
Instructor

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
If you have had the dash piece under the column off lately make sure you didnt put a long screw in the center screw hole. It sometimes goes into the front signal wires and shorts them out.
That just happened to me.
We disconnected the new turnsignal wire and plugged the old one in and it worked fine.
When we took the steering wheel of we saw where the screw touched the wires.
All we had to do was to tape the wires and put it back and everything started to work allright
Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Earl Durnhardt
Intermediate

what ever ya do, don't trust those GM wiring diagrams
the 71 was even writtin about here on the forum
really sad stuff
http://oosoez.com/curr-evnt/currentevents-101.html
Old 06-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Hpozzuoli
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
I just did this. I harpooned the wire in the column with a long screw. Just got the damn thing back from being rebuilt. Pulled the center screw out and the fuse doesn't blow, I get the indicator to light, but won't flash.

Any ideas why it won't blink correctly? Did my turn flasher decide to go? All other lights work as they should, brake, reverse, headlamps.

Last edited by Hpozzuoli; 06-28-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To turn signal fuse blown need help

Quick Reply: turn signal fuse blown need help