C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers not working on 79 - Help Please

Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Showmevette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here is my latest findings. I am getting 11.82 volts at the 3 pin connection to the motor so it leads me to believe the clicking is due to the motor not turning. I did the Willcox test for the motor but I want to be sure I did it right. I used my 12 volt battery from my drill after it charged all day. It was giving out 13.8 volts at the terminals.

Using the instructions I did the following test: http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi..._and_newer.jpg

I hooked up pin 2 to the positive terminal and pin 3 to the negative terminal of the battery. I had the ground (#4) to the wiper motor connected to the block. Still getting a click from the motor but no movement. This is the second motor from the unnamed parts store and both were remanufactured. Is it possible I got 2 bad remanufactured motors or am I just testing it wrong?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

#3 and #4 go to the neg term on battery
Old 09-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Showmevette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete had it all along. After DWncchs put me on the right track to get the motor tested it made me retrace the ground again. Once I put a jumper wire to the alternator ground the motor fired right up. The original wire "From the previous owner" was attached to the block and must not have had a solid ground. Now everything is working, hallelujah!

Appreciate everyones support,

Showme
Old 12-08-2018, 01:24 PM
TinCanSailor
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Man o man these wipers. I've been searching around for info and have found this thread which has helped with the wiring but I must be a little too old and dusty with my electrical skills.

I have a new motor installed that I ordered from a national parts store but believe the old motor was ok. When I turn the car to accy power and using a test light probe the top pin and middle pin illuminate the test light but I get no wiper action. I have traced the ground wire and if I am right I found a ground wire on the engine block so I moved it to the starter motor terminal closest to the engine. I would sincerely appreciate some tips/feedback as I am still not getting wiper action.

If I jumper the top pin to the bottom pin I do get intermittent wipers through and I can set the speed with the switch.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:57 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,243 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by TinCanSailor
I have traced the ground wire and if I am right I found a ground wire on the engine block so I moved it to the starter motor terminal closest to the engine.
That does not sound correct.
The "S" terminal gets 12 volts ONLY with the key in START.
Only the PURPLE wire is on that terminal.

The wiper and fan motor ground wire is BLACK.
It terminates at a starter bolt or bell housing bolt.

The following users liked this post:
TinCanSailor (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:37 AM
TinCanSailor
Advanced

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
That does not sound correct.
The "S" terminal gets 12 volts ONLY with the key in START.
Only the PURPLE wire is on that terminal.

The wiper and fan motor ground wire is BLACK.
It terminates at a starter bolt or bell housing bolt.
swapped the cables back before things go from bad to worse
Old 12-09-2018, 11:57 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,243 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Hi again.

The wiper motor needs a good separate ground.
Remove the existing wiper motor GROUND (BLACK) wire and run a jumper from the wiper motor to a good ground and post the results.

Willcox Corvette has instruction on testing the wiper motor.

Last edited by Peterbuilt; 12-09-2018 at 12:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TinCanSailor (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 05:51 PM
TinCanSailor
Advanced

Remove the existing wiper motor GROUND (BLACK) wire and run a jumper from the wiper motor to a good ground and post the results.

Apologies for the late reply, my son and I spent the day rebuilding the front right lower control arm. Thank you for the troubleshooting tip and info. I have seen the wilcox info but I'll go through the steps again this week.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:18 PM
TinCanSailor
Advanced

I removed the black wire and ran a jumper from the brake MC to the pin for the black wire and when I actuated the dash switch I got no response from the 1st position down and only got illumination on the middle pin with the test probe.

On the second position nothing happened but the top pin and middle pin lit the test probe light. Interesting note: This also occured when the ground was not connected.

On the third position down no action and the top and middle pin continued to illuminate my test probe light.

Not sure if this is helpful. Appreciate any info. I am going to check out the wilcox test procedures again to see if my old dense head is missing something. I do hear the blower motor when the car is set to accy power.

Kindest Regards,
-noah
Old 12-14-2018, 10:04 PM
TinCanSailor
Advanced

Eureka! I have had great success. Thanks to the process required to remove the switch it granted me the opportunity to scope out why my tach was not working as well and got it fixed. Turns out that the plug on the top of the switch was completely off. After reseating it the wipers worked like a charm. I suspect the old motor was good so rather than turn it in for the core fee I'll keep it on the bench for a rainy day

I sincerely appreciate all the knowledge sharing that takes place on here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wipers not working on 79 - Help Please