C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best lubricant for speedo cable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Best lubricant for speedo cable?

I searched previous post as it relates to lubricating my new speedo cable. I found conflicting advice... some liked grease and others said do not use grease as it may foul the actual speedometer. Other options include dry graphite powder. I also found a dry aerosol lubricant spray by Elmers. I want to only have to do this once, so what is the best choice?

Also, I pulled the inner cable out to lubricate it. I was not paying much attention when I did this. On one end of the inner cable there is a retaining nut. The other end does not have this. Which end does the nut go on... the speedo itself or the tranny?

Jim
Old 09-05-2009, 05:19 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plastic end goes to the speedometer and the squared steel end goes into the transmission fitting for the speeedo gear(s).

As for lubrication. I use a very light oil. have never had a problem with using it and does not effect the speedometer function.
"DUB"
Old 09-05-2009, 05:24 PM
forvicjr
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Graphite was the factory lube in the past dont know about now,it what i always used..

Get notified of new replies

To Best lubricant for speedo cable?

Quick Reply: Best lubricant for speedo cable?