C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those with the NJ "QQ" plates

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 02:56 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for those with the NJ "QQ" plates

How strict are the cops on :

"used solely for exhibition and educational purposes by the owner"

I only drive the car from about mar-apr to around oct, but when I do it's a daily driver, so i'd be taking to work/school/shopping places... then there is just cruising... I'm wondering if you guys have had anyone giving you trouble with your plates if you don't just use them as intended, or if you haven't had any problems.

Thanks.
:cheers:
Old 02-25-2002, 03:13 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: Question for those with the NJ "QQ" plates (Metal_Wulf)

Metal_Wulf,
I use mine on my 74 every weekend that the weather is nice. I have not been stopped for the 3 years I have had the plates.
Ed
Old 02-25-2002, 03:47 PM
ruskus
Instructor

I've had my plates for 2+ years without a blink from the coppers, and I've never driven fast or accelerated hard from a stop. :blueangel: :blueangel:
Old 02-25-2002, 04:00 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

3 years and the only thing I get sometimes from a cop is a wave or a nod.

[Modified by 69er, 2:00 PM 2/25/2002]
Old 02-25-2002, 05:49 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Question for those with the NJ "QQ" plates (69er)

I have never had a problem (but I use mine as intended). Never heard of a problem. Every time I see an old car I check the plates to see if it is registered normally or QQ. I have seen QQ plates on cars that were clearly being used as daily drivers. The commuting part puts you at risk. Everything else, I would say you are "exhibiting" your car!! :lol: I also consider that I am educating the public by driving around and showing them my car! The law says, "exhibition", it doesn't say "parade", it says "education", it doesnt say "classroom". I am putting on an exhibition every time I drive the thing! :) MJ
Old 02-25-2002, 06:30 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Question for those with the NJ "QQ" plates (MNJack)

I would imagine if the cops see it every day they might question it. I use mine on theweekends and some weekdays but never for commuting or parking it in a lot. Use your descretion on this one.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:08 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had mine for about 3 years now and haven't had a problem. I usually drive it on weekends and occassionally to work (maybe once a month). The two real reasons for getting QQ tags is 1.No Inspection and 2. Classic Insurance. The no inspection is nice because you can mod the car and not have to worry about emissions. The Insurance is what can get you in trouble. My policy is with Condon and Skelly and is limited to 2500 miles per year and limited to club, show and hobby use. It's an agreed value policy that will pay you up to the amount of agreement in the event of an accident. If you commute with the car and get in an accident you may not be able to collect on a classic policy with these restrictions. If you just want the tags to get you out of inspections you may not be able to insure it for what it's worth since most regular companies will give you book value in case of an accident. Either way, if you don't use the car as intended you're taking a chance. If you push the limits of the rules only occassionally you'll probably be OK.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:17 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Question for those with the NJ "QQ" plates (vettfixr)

I want it for the one time registration fee and no inspection. The paperwork I have didn't say anything about it having to have classic/collector insurance, just said I had to have proof of insurance... I don't qualify for classic insurance...

Old 02-25-2002, 11:11 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Metal_Wulf, I talked to a lady over in the northeast section who works at the NJ DMV. She told me about 4 options nj residents have pertaining to classic cars....Here is what she had to say....
The are currently 4 categories of "special" registrations/inspections. They are Historic (QQ plates), Collector, Low Mileage, and Low Utilization Modified Performance vehicles (LUMPs). The requirements, etc. are as follows:

Historic - Vehicle must be at least 25 years old. Plates available in Trenton only. You must present the title already in your name, and know your insurance company name and policy number. Trenton does not check what type of insurance you have. Remove any existing inspection sticker; none is required, you do not have to go to an inspection station.

Collector - Vehicle must be titled and registered in your name. Any year or model of vehicle is accepted. Go to your local DMV agency, pay $25.00, receive a voucher, present it to an inspection station within 90 days. They people at the inspection station will ask for your reg., license, ins., voucher, and your declaration page or a letter from your insurance co. stating that you have limited mobility insurance. Your odometer must be working, and a record of its reading will be kept. No emission testing or safety check will be performed. A special triangle shaped sticker will be affixed to your windshield. You return in 2 years for your odometer to be checked again, and if you exceed 6,000 miles, you will not be eligible; vehicle will then be required to be emission tested and safety checked.

Low mileage - Regular plates and registration...you request this when you are due for inspection, before they start the inspection. (don't ask for it half way thru!) This only exempts you from the dyne testing for NOx, you still get a safety exam, and you must pass the 2500 rpm emission test.

LUMPs - same as above, however, you have to complete a form at the inspection station verifying that your emission controls meet DEP regulations.
Im getting the hisoric b/c they dont care what kind of insurance you have, and no inspections. Best of both worlds!
Chris

[Modified by 74VETTE, 10:11 PM 2/25/2002]
Old 02-27-2002, 02:01 PM
StingrayRacing
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Question for those with the NJ "QQ" plates (74VETTE)

Great info everyone, guess I'll be switching to Historic myself....is there any insurance similar to collectors but allows you to do maybe 5000 miles a year and still cover you if your car is stolen while eating @ Outback, etc???
Old 02-27-2002, 02:56 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Question for those with the NJ "QQ" plates (StingrayRacing)

Thanks for the info chris, next year when my car hits 25, i'm going for the historic plates.

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Question for those with the NJ "QQ" plates

Quick Reply: Question for those with the NJ "QQ" plates