C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roller rockers valve cover combo BBC

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:35 PM
bheneee
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roller rockers valve cover combo BBC

Hi I am looking into building a BBC for my 74. Can someone tell me if there are any roller rockers available to fit the low big block valve covers or aftermarket valve covers that will accept the roller rockers and fit into my 74 vette equipped with power brakes?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:56 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Billet Specialties will clear roller rockers with a 0.25" thick gasket. Look great too!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BSP-96029/

Old 10-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Kfmorgan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bheneee
Hi I am looking into building a BBC for my 74. Can someone tell me if there are any roller rockers available to fit the low big block valve covers or aftermarket valve covers that will accept the roller rockers and fit into my 74 vette equipped with power brakes?
COMP makes a stamped steel roller rocker that will fit under the stock covers. If you have a high lift cam( I think over .500) they won't work. You can check with COMP Tech for the limits. They are very helpful. Summit also makes a set. If your cam is a high lift type, and you have to go with the needle bearing shaft type rockers, Edelbrock makes a valve cover that will fit, and clear your power brakes. Very tight clearances all around, but they will fit. It is their Signature series stamped steel chrome model # 4680. They are baffled, and have the holes for emissions and oil.

Last edited by Kfmorgan; 10-25-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:05 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

instead of using aluminum roller rockers, look into Crower SS roller rockers, they will clear the stock covers without doubling up on the gaskets.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Crower/258/73624-16/10002/-1

You will have to trim an 1/8" off the tips of the drippers to clear the adjustment nut. Pictured are Pontiac but you get the picture what they look like.

Another option, aluminum spacers they are about an inch high, and work very well, check flea bay.

Last edited by GDaina; 10-24-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:05 AM
1971 LS-5
Advanced

I'm running Comp Hi-Tech, steel, full roller rockers under my stock valve covers. The first thing you do is buy Comp Cams Hi-Tech poly locks. They are shorter than their regular poly locks. Then get you some Fel-Pro Cork-Lam valve cover gaskets. Then, Instead of trimming the oil drippers, I bent mine flush with the cover. I can bend them back if I need them again.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:56 AM
morganjd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the $69.00 trans dep valve covers from summit for 69 bucks, the thick fel pro gaskets and the harland sharp roller rockers. You do not need drippers with rollers. You do need to trim the corner of #1 and#8 intake rockers to clear the bolt hole. I will have a complete set of VC with gaskets and the harland sharps for sale in the next week, as my class does not allow full rollers, email me if you are interested, I will let them go cheap

jmorgan3@twmi.rr.com
Old 10-25-2009, 11:04 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by morganjd
You do need to trim the corner of #1 and#8 intake rockers to clear the bolt hole.
jmorgan3@twmi.rr.com
just a 45 degree cut off the corner...won't weaken the rocker. Crower SS no need as they clear the bolt indent.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:40 PM
bheneee
2nd Gear

Default wow

I am impressed with all the helpfull responses as this is the first time I tried using this site. Thanks everyone for the advice .

Get notified of new replies

To roller rockers valve cover combo BBC

Quick Reply: roller rockers valve cover combo BBC