C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with big block fuel pump!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Porch40
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need help with big block fuel pump!!!

Hi guys,

I am having 1 h*** of a time trying to install a new fuel pump in my 74 BB. I cannot get the activation pin to stay in place while I install the pump. I tried the advice of friends and multiple Chilton manuals which say 'just put in a nice chunk of grease to hold it in place'. Well, the thickest stuff O'reilly's has doesn't do jack as far as holding it in place. Now, everything is just greasy. Excellent. There is the nice access plug beneath the pump but, what you pop in there to hold the pin in place you must remove so I have the greasy pump in 1 hand, a greasy nut and the placeholder in the other, and I'm trying to thread that greasy plug. A whooooooooooooole lot of swearing is going on too. Am ready to just get some peanut butter and wedge it in there with that.

Is there any type of seriously sticky grease that I could use that actually IS the consistency of peanut butter ?

Is there another trick to holding that thing in place ?

Thanks for your help, this is the one day I have to perform the operation and it is NOT going well.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Porch40
Instructor

Got it. Took the activation pin out, stuffed a bit of grease in the receiving passage and greased up the pin. Took a few tries to get it back into the engine without it sliding from my hands but once in it stuck in the top most position.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:22 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

good job!!! the easiest task can humble you on a vette
Old 11-07-2009, 06:41 PM
morganjd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

next time coat the fuel pump rod with the grease and stick it in the freezer for an hour, sticks like all get out
Old 11-07-2009, 09:05 PM
hdpete98
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed one last week, 71, 454 w/air. All I do is angle the pump in so that the pump arm gets underneath the rod and then move the pump into position with the rod on the pump arm. Takes a little skill but after doing a few (100) it gets easy.

Pete

www.c3vettes.net
Old 11-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by morganjd
next time coat the fuel pump rod with the grease and stick it in the freezer for an hour, sticks like all get out
HOWEVER-don't put it on your tongue...
Old 11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Porch40
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
good job!!! the easiest task can humble you on a vette

Thanks! That is for sure. Seems about the time I get a job all figured out on it some little adventurous component pops up. Like having to remove the newly installed totally welded exhaust to drop the gas tank to get access to the rear bumper cover mounts ... or what about those nuts on the power brake booster tucked up under the dash ??... you KNOW the guys on the assembly line had to roll a bit when they torqued them down thinking about us poor goobs who had to access them later. I think before the next auto surgery I'm going to go trade hands with the guy from the new Burger King double cheeseburger commercial who whines about having the mitts of a 6 year old.

Man I can't tell you guys how many times I walked back and forth wondering what the trick was to getting that pin to stick ... could picture guys back in the day performing some sort of secret black magic. Greasing it up then freezing it. That is brilliant!! Kept thinking where could I get thicker grease ?? .. how could I maybe thicken it .. ?? COLD!!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:29 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

There's also an access hole on the front side of the engine that you can thread a longer bolt through that hits the fuel pump rod and holds it in place. Just don't forget to pull the long bolt out and replace it back with the short one before you start the car.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:41 PM
myk7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tshort
There's also an access hole on the front side of the engine that you can thread a longer bolt through that hits the fuel pump rod and holds it in place. Just don't forget to pull the long bolt out and replace it back with the short one before you start the car.
Pretty sure that's only the small blocks that have that

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with big block fuel pump!!!

Quick Reply: Need help with big block fuel pump!!!