Mn-brent ls1-4l60e swap - Page 5 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Mn-brent ls1-4l60e swap

Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #81
riggs 74
CF Senior Member

You did a great job on this swap, very clean and professional looking.

As for performance, are you impressed with the LS setup or does it not live up to the hype?
Its a big expense to go through to find that its not much better than a well setup 1st gen small block.
After running now for several months, is there anything that has become a problem
or that you changed or would want to change? What did your reprogramming cost you,
if you don't mind me asking, and are you able to make the changes to it if you start modding
the motor, like a cam swap.

What is the relay for that is tied into the brake light switch, cruise control, or a signal for
the transmission? Also, does your fuel system use a return line, I ask because I didn't see it.

You mentioned something about a steam pipe when you finishing the radiator plumbing, what is
a steam pipe?

Thanks for a great thread,
Riggs.
riggs 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #82
MN-Brent
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs 74 View Post
You did a great job on this swap, very clean and professional looking.

As for performance, are you impressed with the LS setup or does it not live up to the hype?
No hype, this motor set-up is nice. 3K+ RPM and this thing really screams and pulls. A stock LS1 on an engine dyno with no accessories will hit 400hp. All that power and driveability-reliability of your modern daily driver.
Its a big expense to go through to find that its not much better than a well setup 1st gen small block. After running now for several months, is there anything that has become a problem or that you changed or would want to change?
The whole set-up is as reliable as the day I got it running. The only thing I would change would be to try to go with a LS2 or LS3 for more cubes from the get go, and long tube headers for better low end torque.
What did your reprogramming cost you,if you don't mind me asking, and are you able to make the changes to it if you start modding the motor, like a cam swap.
My mail order tune was done by Wait4Me Performance for $75 + 10 to ship it back. You just need to learn all the codes you want turned off and give Jesse your motor-tranny specs and intake-exhaust scheme. I can give you a copy of my list for the tune so you have an idea of where to start. Jesse came highly recommended on the LS1tech forum and can tweek your tune pretty good out of the box for you. You should go over to that forum and learn about the motor and swap more, especially for swap wiring diagram help. Buy some LS books to learn the motor inside and out. Its really a pretty cool engineering piece once you start looking at how improvements were made to just about every area of the motor.
I do have EFI-Live but have not even had the need to fire it up. PCM programming for tuning for me is way too far out there. I would only use EFI Live for fan turn on temp changes and data logging in the event of trouble.
You may be able to find a local tuner to play with the PCM if you put in a custom cam, but the VIN license for them cost ~$500, so thats where you'll be if you open up the motor and start changing things.

What is the relay for that is tied into the brake light switch, cruise control, or a signal for the transmission?
Brake signal for the TCC shut off is reverse logic to what is provided by the brake switch to the lights. The relay 87A terminal provides the rev logic.
Also, does your fuel system use a return line, I ask because I didn't see it.
Yes. 3/8 feed and 5/16 return, same as what the LS1 cars use and same as the C5 Vette, so you can easily use the C5 Vette filter regulator. The 82 fuel lines were perfect all the way up to where
I mounted the filter-reg unit under the passenger footwell area.

You mentioned something about a steam pipe when you finishing the radiator plumbing, what is a steam pipe?
Read up on the LS motors. Get teh paperback LS books at Amazon or Barnes-Noble on these guys. The steam pipe allows possible hot pockets in the heads to be vented out to the radiator, keeping your cooling efficiency maximized. Its very easy to set-up and I recommend having it. Some folks cap the front steam ports off with another set of rear plugs.

Thanks for a great thread,
Riggs.
See above in blue

Last edited by MN-Brent; 09-09-2010 at 09:43 PM.
MN-Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #83
89Corvette6spdFX3
CF Senior Member

Wow, nice car!
89Corvette6spdFX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #84
ajrothm
CF Senior Member

What a great project?!!!

Very nice work. It's too bad that you couldn't slap in a mild TR224 cam/springs before you put the motor in...it would have picked up power everywhere, especially from 4-6500....about a 35-40hp gain and still good bottom end...I had the TSP MS3 cam and it was strong from 4500-7000 but SUCKED below 3500...especially in a 3800lb stick TA.

If I wasn't going for the "original-ish" look on my car, I would have done an LSx swap myself.

Good choice, in stock form they go high 12s to Low 13s, get 18 mpgs and will do it for 150k miles....cant build anything else that will do all
of that.
ajrothm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #85
Qwk Jimmy

Awesome work. Definitly one of the fastest swaps Ive seen (almost complete in a couple of months).. Exhaust sounds great too.. Great job!
Qwk Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #86
NOTUDAY

Default C3 swap ls1

Just boutght my donor vehicle. 2000 chevy truck complete with 5.3L, plan on starting swap soon. Great post, I learned a lot.
NOTUDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #87
kirt8548
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Brent..... I'm speechless and jealous. Awesome job! I have a '75 that I want to do this to. Words just aren't coming to me to express my admiration.

However in the words of Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar...... "We're not worthy......we're not worthy!!!!"
kirt8548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #88
breakonthrough

Hi, I am in the middle of my LS1 swap into my 81. I was just wondering how you did the transmission cooling lines on your car? My donor engine was from an Australian car and the cooling lines on it ran under the engine and up the left/drivers side of the engine. This made them rather useless for the conversion.

It would be a big help to get your advice.
breakonthrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:56 PM   #89
aschmitt23
CF Member

I know I'm probably 4 years late, but good God this is a beautiful Corvette. Just began my search for a black on black C3, so I am very jealous of the buyer. Gorgeous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Brent View Post
So far Im going to have a stock 2001 LS1, but with the obvious less restrictive air intake set-up and some type of C5 Vette shorty header (OBX maybe) that has the O2 built in and mate up easily to my original 2.5 inch exhaust.

I'm thinking of using Wait4me Performance for my PCM programming

For the wiring harness, Ive decided to mod my own harness the way I want it, rather than farm it out. Its a PITA, but its along the lines of the work I do professionally. It seems you either pay a small fortune to get it done right, or you dont get it done well enough for the money your paying. There seems to be no in-between, IMHO.

Once everything is proven good, maybe next winter I'll consider a cam swap-local dyno tune.

If I really get bored or frustrated with shelling out money for PCM work, I'll buy something like HP Tuners or EFI live.

Really dig the LS platform.
aschmitt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Mn-brent ls1-4l60e swap
  •