C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing 1982 Fuel Pump w/1985

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:16 AM
llabesab7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kully
I would like to comment about switching an 82 fuel pump with an 85 pump.The fuel pressure is controlled by the pressure regulator located in the front TBI. This non adjustable regulator is set to deliver 11 PSI. If a 1985 is used it will deliver a higher volume of fuel and may surpass the capability of the pressure regulator to control the pressure at 11 PSI. Therefore the fuel pressure will be above the 11 to13 PSI spec.and will float without being at a constant pressure that we are looking for. I'm sure the engineers who designed this system wouldn't recommend doing this.The 82 pump will deliver a maximum pressure of 29 PSI and the 85 pump will max out af 58 PSI. Keep in mind the pump is not controlling the system pressure the regulatoris. 1572620813]Hi guys, Hope you can help out. I purchased a 1985 ACdelco fuel pump (EP241/GM#25116163) and attempted to install it today into my 1982 Corvette. As you probably know, it was joy to get the pump & sender out the vehicle, but I did it. I do have some questions about rewiring the 1985 fuel pump into the 1982 pump/sender assembly.

Seems the original 1982 assembly had the positive wire going from the fuel pump to what appears to be a capacitor (long thin thing about 1 1/4 inch long by 5/8 round). This gizmo then has a wire going up top to the terminal. The fuel pump ground wire is soldered to the metal arm holding the capacitor.

It is fair to assume that I run the new positive from the fuel pump directly up to the terminal bypassing the original capacitor? Should I cut off the old capacitor? I'm guessing that I just solder the new ground wire to the same place the old one was attached.

Also, the original unit has a pulsator arm, but the 1985 fuel pump kit came with a short fuel hose. Should I reuse the pulsator arm
Last, does it make any difference whether I use a 1982 strainer versus a 1985 strainer?

Thanks for the advice.

[/QUOTE]
I wish I could help you but I haven't a clue. I sold my 82 awhile back thank the Lord. Good Luck
Old 06-29-2018, 11:11 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

the fuel regulater in the tb can be made to be adjustable.you could buy a tool to a adjust it or make one.13 to 14 psi is a better pressure to run.the factory 1982 fuel pumps to not maintain a steady fuel pressure .if they did I would have been happy to stay with the factory pump .If your seals and gaskets are old ,they may not hold up to the added pressure .the throttle bodys should be rebuilt.wire in the new pump the same as the old pump.use what ever strainer you think is the best..if you adj the fuel pressure you will need to hook up a fuel pressure gauge between the throttle bodys .or just put in the pump and see how the car runs.

Quick Reply: Replacing 1982 Fuel Pump w/1985