C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little off topic question about Daytona spyder converted Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:29 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Default A little off topic question about Daytona spyder converted Corvettes

Been looking around on the net and have seen some Ferrari Daytona converted Corvettes.Anybody here knows how well built those cars are?

What do you have to pay for a Daytona converted Corvette?
And does anybody here know of one in good shape taht might be for sale?
I am just curious about those cars(remember Miami Vice)
Old 01-03-2010, 04:25 AM
Golden
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't help on the background but I remember the car.

I did find this but don't know how accurate it is

Crockett's Daytona Spyder was actually a look-alike replica, built using a 1980 Corvette chassis with Ferrari-designed body panels and real Ferrari hardware inside. According to Popular Mechanics, the original replica was "spotted on a lot in Newport Beach by the show's producer."[7] Motor Trend magazine, however, claims the two show cars were bought at an auction. Al Mardikian, an auto importer had the two replicas built by Tom McBurnie, but he found himself in legal trouble and the two cars were confiscated by the Feds.[8] The producers in turn purchased the cars from the government.

In 1986, McBurnie Coachcraft and California Custom Coach both offered Daytona Spyder kits for building replicas, and turn-key models built on a Corvette chassis were available for $45k.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now and then one pops up on ebay.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:00 AM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like any "kit" car the quality of the end product is more closely related to the skill and determination of the builder.There have been some minimally engineered kits and some beautifully engineered ones. Both take cubic hours of fitting, fabricating and finishing to turn into even a "driver" quality piece. If I were considering any replicar I would first research as many of the manufacturers as I could find for that body, then look at lots(or as many as I could find)of them to find the one gem in what is likely to be a sea of mediocrity. I would say though that any still being used regularly after so many years were probably nice when built.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:36 AM
tobyte1
Racer

Yes, the biggest factor in quality is who built the car and how it has been treated since. Be careful, a lot of those type cars were built on wrecked donor cars. For instance, in 1980 I built a Daytona on a wrecked 78 chassis. The car had run under a school bus hard enough to flip the bus...............killed four college students in the vette. The finished car turned out looking fantastic, but I knew the history of the car.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Attfay Elleybay
Burning Brakes

How did they get 4 college kids in a vette?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Attfay Elleybay
Burning Brakes

I always thought they used C4's for the kit.

http://www.kitcars.com/Classifieds/A...ified_id=22109

http://www.kitcars.com/Classifieds/A...ified_id=22045

looks like $22,000 to $24000
Old 01-03-2010, 12:59 PM
tobyte1
Racer

Originally Posted by Attfay Elleybay
How did they get 4 college kids in a vette?
3 up front, decapitated them. One behind the seats.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:57 PM
reegeemon
2nd Gear

was looking at body mount kits - found this
have a daytona replica, not for sale
ls6-454,th2004r,4.11gear.
wish knew how to post pics of
Old 05-08-2019, 07:58 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

am I the only one who thinks these are ugly lol
Old 05-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by qwank
Hmmm- I think the McBurnie ones look good....Only made about 80 of them

The following users liked this post:
maj75 (05-08-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 10:41 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I had forgotten posting this thread but fun that i showed up again..

I must admit that i think the McBurnie Daytona looks really good

Last edited by TheSaint; 05-10-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:03 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

No!
qwank (06-09-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 06:34 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

I have seen many dozens of them.....when looking carefully they scream 'poorly assembled' and made 'kit-car'. 99% are atrocious. The fiberglas work would have gotten Chevy a class action lawsuit.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:16 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by L-46man
I have seen many dozens of them.....when looking carefully they scream 'poorly assembled' and made 'kit-car'. 99% are atrocious. The fiberglas work would have gotten Chevy a class action lawsuit.
My buddy has a McBurnie one- not one of the copy's copy.

I helped him out when he put a BMW V12 in it- I looked over the car. Nothing screamed kit car about it- it looked very well done. I mean after all it's on a C3 chassis...

The only thing that was a little bit sketchy was the radiator shroud cover- it was like a fiberboard and reminded me of my TR6.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:47 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

FYI! ...I remember reading about these cars back in the day used in the 80's TV series Miami Vice. (found this article on the web.)

........................................ ........................................ ..................

Miami Vice Daytona Found

Miami Vice Daytona Found

By Jim Suva

When the TV show Miami Vice premiered, Don Johnson as James (Sonny) Crockett drove a black 1972 Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spyder. That was his car for the first two seasons of the show. In real life, the Daytonas used on the show were replicas built by Tom McBurnie. “Real” Ferarri’s were very expensive and also quite rare, so replicas were used.

Speaking with Brian Gram from the Volo Auto Museum, he tells the story of how the first replica, known as “Car One” came to his family museum. This particular car was used primarily for the first two Miami Vice seasons, and was brought back for a few episodes in the third season.

Volo Auto Museum purchased this car many years ago from Jeff Allen of The Car Chasers, before Jeff had a TV show. It came with a lot of paperwork, and the car itself showed obvious signs of film use, as well as evidence that was unique to the Miami Vice car. When Volo bought it in very poor shape, basically they redid paint and interior. Please see pictures below:

Volo Auto Museum is planning to restore the car to the next level. They already removed the TPI motor and replaced it with a carburetored motor like it had in show, as well as the correct Momo steering wheel. Research is still being done on the interior. As in many TV productions, the interior of the car had some changes over the seasons.

At those earlier days, Brian was not nearly as knowledgeable about the background of the Miami Vice cars as he is today. So when Volo Auto Museum listed the car as the one from the TV series, Brian got an earful from folks saying that this wasn't the real car. There were a total of three Daytonas used, and there was a real Ferrari Daytona that was used briefly. The owner of the car didn't like the way the car was being taken care of, so he withdrew the car. Universal Studios bought two Daytonas that were built by Tom McBurnie. Car #1, the first Daytona replica ever built, and Car #4. Both were built on Corvette chassis. Car #1 was built on a 1976 chassis and Car #4 on a 1981 chassis.

Ferrari didn’t like the fact that replicas were being used on the show. Ferrari ended up suing McBurnie’s company to stop them from building the replicas. Ferrari offered to supply their newest model, the Testarossa for the show. As part of the deal with Ferrari, the Daytona was blown up in the third season. They wanted the Daytona removed from the show, in a way that would put it out of people’s minds permanently.

The Daytona was also part of a real life Miami Vice story. A mechanic that had access to the car was arrested in a police sting. The mechanic was caught trying to sell an illegal gun silencer. Guess which car he was driving when he was arrested?

When they discontinued the Daytonas use, both cars went to a man named Carl Roberts. In exchange for the cars, he was to build a Testarossa stunt car. Carl got the title to Car #4, but not to Car #1. When Carl was trying to make a business by producing and selling Daytonas, he sold Car #4. Later he was hired to provide two Daytonas to go to Canada for use in the movie Speed Zone. The Volo Auto Museum car, and one other were sent to Canada for that movie. You need titles to get cars into Canada. After the two cars came back, they were pretty much abandoned. The owner of the property where the cars were left was able to get titles back in 1992, and he has owned at least the Volo Auto Museum’s car, if not both since. Jeff Allen discovered the car and Volo bought it. Many people were interested in find out what happened to Car #1.

Carl Roberts said the car was dismantled, the frame was scrapped, and the body was put on another chassis, but he doesn't know which chassis it went on. So basically he was saying the car no longer exists. Then all these people started coming forward claiming “we have the car,” including Volo Auto Museum. But Brian felt strongly that theirs was the actual car because of the items on the body that were unique to the screen-used Miami Vice cars. For instance, the nose emblem, which was originally mounted in the wrong spot by the producers, and later relocated to the right spot. Volo Auto Museum’s body has the original emblem holes that were filled, from where the emblem was incorrectly placed. The body was 1-1/4 inches shorter on the passenger side than the driver’s side on Car #1 because of an accident. Volo Auto Museum’s car was 1-1/4 inches shorter. So it was determined and accepted that the Volo car may possibly be the #1 body but without a VIN there was no way to know for sure. Brian accepted this and left well enough alone.

Then Jeff Allen called up Brian and said, "Hey watch my show, lots of great McBurnie/Miami Vice information”. Brian watched the show and Jeff found the lost Car #1...which raised Brian’s eyebrows, because the car he bought from Jeff was thought to be Car #1. After talking to Jeff again he said no mine is the ‘81, Car #4, even though the ‘81 is accounted for. So that prompted Brian to start the investigation again. Brian wanted to research the VIN, which is a 1980 VIN number. Brian sent the number to GM Heritage, and got a window sticker back for a beige 1980 Corvette. But he then noticed the VIN tag was tampered with, which of course raised a flag. So Brian decided to investigate the frame numbers hoping to find a 1976 VIN. First he looked in the most likely spot, the rear frame rail on the driver’s side. Brian had the frame section cleaned to bare metal but found no numbers. Then he asked a Corvette buddy, who said the only other spot GM placed VIN numbers, was on top of the frame under the sill plate. Unfortunately, you have to remove the frame to see them. Brian was disappointed but determined. So he got a hole saw and cut through the sill. He cleaned the frame, found the numbers, and they were 1976 serial numbers! Then Brian noticed the original Corvette trim tag was still attached to the door jamb. He looked up the codes and it was a 1976 trim tag, green with black interior. That obviously didn't match the beige that the 1980’s VIN tag called for. Brian was able to cross reference the date code on the trim tag to the serial number on the frame, and both were built during the third week of March in 1976. The frame and VIN number went together. Another piece of the puzzle fell into place.

The man who owns the other Miami Vice Daytona has the documentation that shows the original VIN numbers to the two cars. He keeps the documents and VIN numbers confidential to keep anyone from committing fraud and producing a replica. Brian sent him an email with the VIN number from the frame, asking if we have a match. After several days of nail biting, hoping he would hear from him, Brian got a phone call and ... it was a match! The lost Daytona that was said to no longer exist had been found.

Link to Volo's Miami Vice Daytona display.

Volo Auto Museum is open 7 days a week 10 AM – 5 PM. Check the events calendar for Holiday Hours and Special Events. They are located at 27582 Volo Village Road, Volo Il. 60073

I have seen this car in person. It is beautiful. I would love to have it in my garage.

###
Old 05-13-2019, 08:37 PM
80-Vette
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

No, you are not alone.
qwank (06-09-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To A little off topic question about Daytona spyder converted Corvettes

Old 05-14-2019, 12:58 PM
Dazaa Rafae Aman
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts

Definitely not. It's also pretty lame to dress up something to be what it isn't in my opinion but each to their own.
qwank (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 08:55 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I for one would love to have one of those Daytonas
Old 06-09-2019, 11:36 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazaa Rafae Aman
Definitely not. It's also pretty lame to dress up something to be what it isn't in my opinion but each to their own.
I don't even like the real thing. The huge amber lenses are so gaudy

Quick Reply: A little off topic question about Daytona spyder converted Corvettes