C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

billet serpentine conversion - alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:38 AM
NBC3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default billet serpentine conversion - alternator question

Hi folks
I have been looking at March Performance underdrrive systems. They tell me that I cant use themon my 76 because the alternator is on the drivers side. Is there a problem with moving it to the other side?

Has anyone sourced pulleys from another source?

Why wouldnt this work?

click here

350hp deluxe crate GM engine
Hooker headers and side pipes
Old 01-09-2010, 12:16 PM
marz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NBC3
Hi folks
I have been looking at March Performance underdrrive systems. They tell me that I cant use themon my 76 because the alternator is on the drivers side. Is there a problem with moving it to the other side?

Has anyone sourced pulleys from another source?

Why wouldnt this work?

click here

350hp deluxe crate GM engine
Hooker headers and side pipes

I installed one on my 75 (still there) and the 76 before I sold it. I had no problem with it on the driver's side. But, mine did not have the ac unit on it. But, call them and find out. I had to get on the phone with them and explain what I needed and they put it together for me. I even had an electric water pump on it that everyone said wouldn't fit.

Here's a pic. Maybe you can see something there you can use for reference.

Last edited by marz; 01-09-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:01 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

Could go with a Millerspeed Gilmer setup. IMO, it's far cooler looking! (They also have a V-belt for the P/S pump for use with this setup.)

Old 01-09-2010, 04:41 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by marz
I installed one on my 75 (still there) and the 76 before I sold it. I had no problem with it on the driver's side. But, mine did not have the ac unit on it. But, call them and find out. I had to get on the phone with them and explain what I needed and they put it together for me. I even had an electric water pump on it that everyone said wouldn't fit...
marz had better luck with them than I've had, as in my experience March hasn't always been so responsive to off-the-menu questions/inquiries. ...but, hey, it's worth a shot, no?

Old 01-15-2010, 07:13 PM
NBC3
Racer

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
marz had better luck with them than I've had, as in my experience March hasn't always been so responsive to off-the-menu questions/inquiries. ...but, hey, it's worth a shot, no?

It was worth a shot but unfortunately, not so helpful. I will abandon the project till later. I have other fish to fry - vacuum issues

THANKS Folks!
Old 01-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

You might look at a Vintage Air Front Runner. The Lower Pulley is very close to the Frame I didn't need to change anything but some have. Its Exspensive but its a very well done item.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:00 PM
joe78
Advanced

I used the gm kit it worked great in my 78.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by marz
I installed one on my 75 (still there) and the 76 before I sold it. I had no problem with it on the driver's side. But, mine did not have the ac unit on it. But, call them and find out. I had to get on the phone with them and explain what I needed and they put it together for me. I even had an electric water pump on it that everyone said wouldn't fit.

Here's a pic. Maybe you can see something there you can use for reference.

Hey MarZ. Is that a press on power steering pulley. I need one just like that if it is. Do you have the March part #. I tried a used factory pulley, and it sits about 3/4" too far forward.
Bee Jay
Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 AM
brando1118
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NBC3,
I can give you better pics when I get the top of the motor back together, but these are some pics of the original build that may help. Swapping the A/C and alternator locations enables you to completely access the passenger side of the motor. I've got the Vintage Air R134a kit that eliminates the factory A/C hump from the firewall. I will tell you that I had clearance issues with the Sanden A/C unit hitting the drivers side control arm when going over large bumps. Solved that by installing tubular control arms from Vette Brakes. Then I was plagued with the compressor pulley hitting the shock absorber mounting bolt. Solved that by cutting a 1/2 inch of it off. The P/S steering pump mounting may or may not be a challenge depending on the style of pump used. My pump had a hard line coming out of the rear that would contact the block and it put a slight angle on the pulley. I kept throwing belts until I finally figured it out and bent the hard line just a *tad* and that solved that issue. Yes, there were some issues with mine, but yours may bolt up just fine. I love my setup now that the bugs are out.

Get notified of new replies

To billet serpentine conversion - alternator question

Quick Reply: billet serpentine conversion - alternator question