C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight and wiper tray actuators - testing and maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:52 PM
VettePekka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight and wiper tray actuators - testing and maintenance

Hi,

I currently have my headlight and wiper door actuators, and the related control valves out of my car.

What are the proper procedures to test the actuators and control valves with a vacuum pump. I would like to make sure the parts are in good operating condition before reattaching them.

Also, provided that they all work properly, is there any preventive maintenance (lubing etc) one should / could do to prolong their usable lives?

Thanks in advance!

pete

Last edited by VettePekka; 01-30-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Pete,
The headlight door and wiper door actuators are pretty easy to test. Your vacuum gauge and pump should hold vacuum on each nipple on the actuator. Check the green hose side first and then the red hose side. If the vacuum drops on the green side but not on the red side, the rear sealing grommet is leaking and needs to be replaced.
There are many tricky problems with both systems beyond the actuators; having a trouble shooting/testing guide like the one from Dr. Rebuild really helps and is worth the few $$. There are also free guides available on the web. Willcox has some good ones.
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-30-2010, 08:50 PM
bellringer
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Pete,
The headlight door and wiper door actuators are pretty easy to test. Your vacuum gauge and pump should hold vacuum on each nipple on the actuator. Check the green hose side first and then the red hose side. If the vacuum drops on the green side but not on the red side, the rear sealing grommet is leaking and needs to be replaced.
There are many tricky problems with both systems beyond the actuators; having a trouble shooting/testing guide like the one from Dr. Rebuild really helps and is worth the few $$. There are also free guides available on the web. Willcox has some good ones.
Regards,
Alan
Alan , would you please let me know where to purchase the book from
Dr. Rebuild ,and also ,who or what is Wilcox. I have trouble with the vaccum on my 1974 Vette that operates the head lights and the heat and vent controls and I dont have any idea where to start. I have looked at the usual repair manuels which have no description of any parts or where to start testing. I also have trouble geting the blower fan to work , if you can help me with this problem I would appericate it a lot thanks
Carl
Old 01-30-2010, 10:09 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 547 Likes on 375 Posts

As you're working on your windshield wiper mechanism, if you get to the juncture where you might want to remove the door from the mechanisms, ...don't. The bolts that attach the door to the mechanism, are very thin in diameter. The door is a aluminum/pot metal alloy. After years, the bolts will be corrosion welded. If you try to remove them, they very likely will shear. At this juncture, repairing the door is expensive. J & D Corvette probably has 50 or 60 windshield wiper doors. I had to look at almost all of them before I found a door that had all 4 attach holes perfect...i.e no broken off bolt shank in them.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:27 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by bellringer
Alan , would you please let me know where to purchase the book from
Dr. Rebuild ,and also ,who or what is Wilcox. I have trouble with the vaccum on my 1974 Vette that operates the head lights and the heat and vent controls and I dont have any idea where to start. I have looked at the usual repair manuels which have no description of any parts or where to start testing. I also have trouble geting the blower fan to work , if you can help me with this problem I would appericate it a lot thanks
Carl
74 vacuum connections go to http://www.corvette-101.com/vacuum.htm Good text but bad connections at the wiper and pull down connections.
Corrected diagram
Still got more questions, just post back.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:00 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Carl,
Willcox (Ernie) is a supporting vendor on this site and has very good prices; but in my opinion he is more highly respected for his willingness to answer questions posters may have; not just pipe up when he has a part or service to sell and then disappear.
Doc Rebuild is a vendor in Bridgeport Conn. He really knows Corvettes, and has MANY small parts that NO ONE else has. His catalogue is different than other vendors and a work of art. He has very good electrical schematics, vacuum system posters, and the vacuum system guide I mentioned. If you happen to get him on the phone you may feel a bit beat-up when you're finished, but... he has the parts restorers need.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-31-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:44 AM
bellringer
3rd Gear

Thanks to all for your help
Old 01-31-2010, 10:53 AM
bellringer
3rd Gear

Thanks ,this was a big help

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight and wiper tray actuators - testing and maintenance