C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best to buy or rebuild rear differential?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:37 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Best to buy or rebuild rear differential?

If buy, any recommendations?

If rebuild, same??

What about having the r/p just swapped?

GTR1999 no longer lives here.....though if anyone has contact info.....

Considering changing out my 3.08's for a little more oomph.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 02-05-2010, 10:24 AM
avner
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Rob
PM sent
Avner
Old 02-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You can reach Gary by Email: Gary.RAMADEI@radiall.com

Great guy really miss his input here.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:11 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
You can reach Gary by Email: Gary.RAMADEI@radiall.com

Great guy really miss his input here.
Thanks!

Rob
Old 02-05-2010, 11:41 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

You can get rebuilt pumpkin for about 900 shipped.. then ship back the core charge, then you have to worry about the core charge getting credited.. they will find something to cut into your core charge refund.
you can get your original rebuilt, but that is shipping both ways also.. unless you are close to someone that can do it for you.. they will usually find a way to get you for another couple of hundred.. yokes, cracked carrier.. etc....

after you get into it that deep, you will get the 'while I am at it' disease. plan on new U-joints, blast/paint/powercoat the rear suspension, new yokes, new heavy duty differential cover.. maybe new shocks. maybe new crossmember bushings. then rear allignment.. you will have to drop your exhaust and it may not go back together..

it is a big project.. it cost me $1000+ for mine total and I drove my pumpkin to Ikerds to trade it in. removing and installing i did all myself.

so it is really about then same, you have to decide if your current one is worthy.. ( original with no cracked casings )

pick someone who knows what they are doing, warrantee work is a pain since it is mostly labor to remove and install.

Last edited by joewill; 02-05-2010 at 11:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Haak (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by MakoShark72

GTR1999 no longer lives here.....
They all come back eventually.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:48 PM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Rob,

I had my original differential taken apart & inspected by a local transmission shop.
He pulled out the internals and gave me back the empty pumpkin to sandblast & paint and then reassembled the unit with the stock components, new seals etc.
Luckily, the old gearset was in good condition and did not need to be changed but I'm also contemplating a little more oomph then the 3:36 provides.

My buddy has a complete spare unit with 3:36's in it that he is willing to let me have for an upgrade to 3:55's or 3:73's providing we keep my original unit as a shared spare.

It may be worth while for you to look at buying a used unit keeping your original as a spare or split the costs with a buddy for a similar arrangement.
Also talk to the guy who did your transmission to see if he can help you without the extra shipping costs.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:13 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
If buy, any recommendations?

If rebuild, same??

What about having the r/p just swapped?

GTR1999 no longer lives here.....though if anyone has contact info.....

Considering changing out my 3.08's for a little more oomph.

Thanks!

Rob
GTR1999 and Tracdogg2 are both forum members and very good at what they do. I see you are from Washington. tomsdifferentials.com could be a good option for you. They are close to reduce shipping costs and do first class work.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:01 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
GTR1999 and Tracdogg2 are both forum members and very good at what they do. I see you are from Washington. tomsdifferentials.com could be a good option for you. They are close to reduce shipping costs and do first class work.
Toms is no longer doing any repair work or labor at all. Strictly a parts dealer. I would definetly recommend GTR1999 for any drivetrain related rebuilds.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:30 PM
temvette72
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob,

Gary helped me out with my diff. It needed new seals and he sold me the best ones and coached me through the job. He's a super-nice guy! Be forewarned, though. He doesn't come cheap! He doesn't do "standard" rebuilds. He is very detail-oriented and goes way beyond what the big vendors do in their standard $800 or $900 job. I'm sure it is money well-spent and his differentials will probably outlast us!

temvette72
Old 02-06-2010, 12:07 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Toms is no longer doing any repair work or labor at all. Strictly a parts dealer. I would definetly recommend GTR1999 for any drivetrain related rebuilds.
I knew his 12 bolt builder passed away. He must have done the regular builds also. I got my 12 bolt 4.11 from Tom's a couple months before he passed. GTR1999 is the man.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 PM
TODD C
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got mine from duntovmotors, it was the most expensive option, but was also the most complete. i needed new stub axles anyhow and the heavy duty rearend cover was a nice touch. the shipping was included in the price and the one way shipping offset some of the cost of shipping my old diff to be rebuilt. i even opted for the carbon fiber clutch packs. if you dont have a local shop that can do the rebuild i would definately recommend duntovmotors. now i just need to find a way to get rid of the old diff and not lose my **** in the process. duntov will give ya 335 dollars max if everything checks out good, but you still gotta get it to them. im not sure what the shipping would be to send it to Texas. maybe i will just rebuild it myself some day.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:39 PM
77vettejeff
Instructor

Check the swap meets. I found a complete rear assembly with cover, side yokes and 3.55:1 gears for $400. I was allowed to take the cover off and inspect everything before I bought it. And I can always go back to my 3.08 assembly in a few hours.
good luck
Old 02-08-2010, 10:48 PM
blueray72
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Name:  Finishedinternals.jpg
Views: 3745
Size:  114.3 KB

Gary is definitely the man.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

I knew his 12 bolt builder passed away. He must have done the regular builds also. I got my 12 bolt 4.11 from Tom's a couple months before he passed. GTR1999 is the man.
^&$%#@!#$$ I hate it when that happens

I used to have a guy here in NorCal that did my carb base plate bushings for me. Time caught up with him and now I'm scr**ed. I still do my own rear ends, but setting up a gear set is best left to the pros if you don't know what your doing.

Hans
Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Tom's builder was "Kenny." He died of a heart attack when he was only in his 50's. He built my differential, rear wheel bearings, and parking brakes. I think he was the mastermind behind Toms really strong parts for the C3 rear suspension.

Sorry to hear Tom doesn't do rebuilding. I think the fire has gone out in his belly.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Buffdriver
Cruising

Originally Posted by TODD C
i got mine from duntovmotors, it was the most expensive option, but was also the most complete. i needed new stub axles anyhow and the heavy duty rearend cover was a nice touch. the shipping was included in the price and the one way shipping offset some of the cost of shipping my old diff to be rebuilt. i even opted for the carbon fiber clutch packs. if you dont have a local shop that can do the rebuild i would definately recommend duntovmotors. now i just need to find a way to get rid of the old diff and not lose my **** in the process. duntov will give ya 335 dollars max if everything checks out good, but you still gotta get it to them. im not sure what the shipping would be to send it to Texas. maybe i will just rebuild it myself some day.

How do you like the diff? How much power are you running through it? I read several bad reviews about them and wanted to hear from someone that might have had a good experience.

Get notified of new replies

To Best to buy or rebuild rear differential?

Old 06-02-2016, 11:03 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I bought a complete diff assembly from them some years ago. The stub yokes soon began to wear. They did not use the 'hardened' yokes that I asked for. I did not ask for a deal, I wanted a top quality unit and was very clear about requesting hardened yokes that they are supposed to have anyway. Speaking to Edward at Duntov in November, he told me that the expected life span of diff stub yokes is only 50,000 miles. Weird. I spoke to Ken McCormick at Lone Star, Duntovs yoke supplier - he told me that their yokes have a life time warranty. Edward is Alan's, the owners brother, sometimes known as Edmond. Edward eventually agreed to sell me some yokes for 1/2 price. Gee thanks, I'm stuck for the labour. After I received the yokes I contacted Alan, who is hard to get a hold of, he offered to credit me if I sent the defectives back but he wasn't all that keen. They don't return emails on warranty/defective discussions. I didn't want to be stuck for an additional shipping charge if my credit didn't appear so I decided to cut my losses.... Too much weirdness there. Too bad. To be fair, Jason, their parts guy is very friendly. When I ordered my 1/2 price stub yokes I also asked for a cover gasket and side seals. Jason who was aware of my situation did not charge me. The seals were Korean so I did not use them. I bought real ones locally.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:46 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

GTR1999...Gary is the man......................
Old 06-03-2016, 12:50 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

I sent mine to Bair's in PA. . Shipping was costly, but, I know it was done right. Easy people to work with.

Quick Reply: Best to buy or rebuild rear differential?