Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Pedal to the floor. Brake Pedal that is.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 PM
wcsinx
CF Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by us marine View Post
Had the same thing... Went straight to the floor and had no brakes. Bad booster.... replaced and amazing I have brakes again.
Nope

A bad booster won't cause the situation you just described.

I am too tired to explain why.

Someone else do it.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Nomar116
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm no expert but I would say that even with a bad booster there's going to be pedal pressure from pushing the piston in the M/C.

As for my situation... I have one person in this thread suggest the M/C isn't original. Went to order one but the replacement I got from OReilly's didn't have bleeders on it so I decided I'd try my hand at the rebuild.

I pulled both pistons and compared them to my rebuild kit. The kit came with two complete pistons. There are definitely differences in the length and design of the pistons that came with the kit, I'll post pictures if necessary. And the kit's spring for the front half's piston is considerably shorter. So much so that when installed the piston was 1/8" away from the snap ring. The original piston set was compressed into the bore, held in place by the snap ring, so I knew this wasn't gonna work.

So I started with that, installing the rebuild kit pistons. I figured with the bleeders I could "bench bleed" it by just throwing it back on the car (probably wrong). I reinstalled the M/C, opened the front bleeder and started pumping the brakes... and nothing came out. Rear bleeder gave me nothing too, but air was at least being forced out the line.

So I removed the pistons, swapped the seals to the original front piston and spring. I couldn't get the spring removed from the rear piston to swap the seals so I stuck with the kit's piston there (seemed to have the same length, just a different design). This time I just filled some fluid in the reservoirs and tried bench bleeding it. Now when I compress the piston all I get is air out of both lines. No fluid drains from the reservoir to pass through the brake line-outputs... Any help?

Last edited by Nomar116; 02-27-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:38 AM
wcsinx
CF Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

The ports are just sucking air back in when you let the pedal up. That's why when you bench bleed, you have to run the lines back up into the reservoir. The Bubba way is you have someone stick their fingers over the ports before you let the pedal come back up. That'll create enough vacuum to draw fluid down into the piston chamber. Or just get to the parts store, find that HELP! rack, and get yourself a bench bleed kit. It's cheap and less messy.

Last edited by wcsinx; 02-28-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Nomar116
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdb View Post
Nomar,
That is not an original m/c. An original would say delco somewhere on it with a GM part number cast into it along with a date code. The one you have is made by EIS, a manufacturer of brake parts. Buy yourself a replacement , bench bleed it and go for a ride...........
Shoulda listened... As usual. I finished this up, got her bled, and got a very firm pedal. Real satisfied with the rebuild...

Shes been in and out of storage for the last few weeks/months. I noticed the pedal slowly deteriorating. And now its back to nearly going to the floor, almost unsafe to drive (read... it IS unsafe to drive...). I suspect its either because:
1) I didn't do a good enough job refinishing the M/C bore or...
2) At 6'4" I really need Tilt steering. Sometimes when getting in the car I depress the brake pedal to get my knee under the steering wheel

So I'll be replacing the master cylinder entirely this time. I would really prefer to find an inexpensive replacement WITH bleeders... anyone know where they might sell one? I found these links:

Ecklers $120 Non Power Brake w/ Bleeders

Ecklers $200 Non Power, Bleeders, Repro w/ numbers 1972 SPECIFIC

And another site that claims their numbers match the 68-72...?? ($145)

Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited by Nomar116; 05-19-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:19 PM
NVaughn
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How-To Tuesday

Seems like a good topic for How-To Tuesday...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...e-floor-368386

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pedal to the floor. Brake Pedal that is.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: