C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 Fuel sending unit removal

Old 02-20-2010, 10:23 PM
billlee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 Fuel sending unit removal

Can the fuel sending unit in an 81 be removed without removing the tank?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:33 PM
67toolfan
Heel & Toe

Nope. just recently pulled tank on a '79--no clearance to pull when installed, that & it takes a bit of twisting & contorting to get out when on the ground--just no room to get it through the factory fuel door opening.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:24 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by billlee
Yes but watch you don't chip or scratch your paint around the opening. If you use tape to protect paint use the type that removes easily.
The following 2 users liked this post by ...Roger...:
corkywillis (11-11-2015), golfradict (11-04-2015)
Old 02-20-2010, 11:57 PM
snoopykissedlucy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the old pick-up sock on the end of the unit removable and replaceable?

I figure if I place a good enough filter after the pump- i dont need a pick up sock...what do you guys think?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:07 PM
billlee
Instructor

ok,, looks like we have a tie so far on opinions...but to answer the filter question no you'll want a sock/filter before the pump unless you like being stuck on road side. The sock/filter protects the pump not the carb or f/i.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am able to pull the sending unit out. Its a PIA, It required the correct turns and lifting at the same time. Yes to taping the edges, I chipped paint on mine the first time.
Not sure if 81 is different, probably not. Mine has the fuel pump attached to sending unit.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:46 PM
corkywillis
Heel & Toe

Default 81 Sending Unit

Originally Posted by 67toolfan
Nope. just recently pulled tank on a '79--no clearance to pull when installed, that & it takes a bit of twisting & contorting to get out when on the ground--just no room to get it through the factory fuel door opening.
I just did it on my 81. It was a tight squeeze but came out easily after removing hoses and tank screws

Last edited by corkywillis; 11-11-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-03-2015, 12:48 PM
corkywillis
Heel & Toe

Default 81 sending unit

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
I am able to pull the sending unit out. Its a PIA, It required the correct turns and lifting at the same time. Yes to taping the edges, I chipped paint on mine the first time.
Not sure if 81 is different, probably not. Mine has the fuel pump attached to sending unit.
81 has a mechanical fuel pump on the engine not in tank. At least mine does
Old 11-03-2015, 12:51 PM
corkywillis
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by snoopykissedlucy
Is the old pick-up sock on the end of the unit removable and replaceable?

I figure if I place a good enough filter after the pump- i dont need a pick up sock...what do you guys think?
If you have a mechanical fuel pump on the motor that should work otherwise you could suck trash into the fuel pump before it goes into to your external filter.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:43 PM
EIGHTY
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by billlee
You do not have to drop the tank. I removed the fuel tank sending unit on my 80 with the tank in place. You need to maneuver the sending unit around until it comes out through the hole. Not hard...just takes patience to twist it out the right way.

The fuel sock can be replaced. Right now I'm running without one and haven't had any issues.
The following users liked this post:
corkywillis (11-11-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by corkywillis
Dont see how you can fit a 7' disc thru a 6 1/2 " hole but I'll give it a try and report back on my 81. I dont know if there was any difference between 80 and 81 fuel doors.
I just did this 2 weeks ago. Just be patient, and take your time. Changing the fuel lines requires some careful planning.
The following users liked this post:
corkywillis (11-11-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 09:45 AM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

I also have removed it in the past without dropping the tank.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:52 AM
golfradict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I have an 81, use "Rogers" advice, he knows these cars.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Yes. I have done this a number of times on my '81. Twist the sending unit counter clockwise while slightly tilting it. It is almost like unscrewing it from the opening. Of course you need to remove the fuel opening door and gasket surrounding the fill nozzle then the fuel hoses on the sending unit as well.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:36 PM
corkywillis
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by EIGHTY
You do not have to drop the tank. I removed the fuel tank sending unit on my 80 with the tank in place. You need to maneuver the sending unit around until it comes out through the hole. Not hard...just takes patience to twist it out the right way.

The fuel sock can be replaced. Right now I'm running without one and haven't had any issues.
You are exactly right EIGHTY. Thanks for the encouragement ! I just did it on my 81 and it came out very easy. Very tight squeeze though, it took about 30 seconds to pull out after removing the fuel lines and tank screws. Some WD 40 squirted up between the rubber fuel lines and metal connectors helps a lot to get them off.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:12 PM
EIGHTY
Racer

You are exactly right EIGHTY. Thanks for the encouragement ! I just did it on my 81 and it came out very easy. Very tight squeeze though, it took about 30 seconds to pull out after removing the fuel lines and tank screws. Some WD 40 squirted up between the rubber fuel lines and metal connectors helps a lot to get them off.
Glad to hear it worked out! Did you replace the rubber hoses to the tank while you were there?
Old 11-11-2015, 10:21 PM
corkywillis
Heel & Toe

Default 81 sender unit removak

Glad to hear it worked out! Did you replace the rubber hoses to the tank while you were there?
I haven't put it back in yet. Will do it tomorrow. Hoses looked good but I should replace them, its just hard to get to them where they connect back to the metal pipes up under the trunk. Had to take the sender and clean the rust and corrosion off to get it to work. Works great now and had to clean the crud out of the tank and make a new gasket. Thanks again pal !

Get notified of new replies

To 81 Fuel sending unit removal

Old 11-11-2015, 10:55 PM
EIGHTY
Racer

I haven't put it back in yet. Will do it tomorrow. Hoses looked good but I should replace them, its just hard to get to them where they connect back to the metal pipes up under the trunk. Had to take the sender and clean the rust and corrosion off to get it to work. Works great now and had to clean the crud out of the tank and make a new gasket. Thanks again pal !
Can you tell me how long the rubber hoses are that go to the sending unit? I actually need to replace mine...but my Vette is my daily driver.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:03 AM
corkywillis
Heel & Toe

Can you tell me how long the rubber hoses are that go to the sending unit? I actually need to replace mine...but my Vette is my daily driver.
I will measure them tomorrow and report back to you. They aren't very long, maybe 6 inches but harder to get to.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:00 PM
corkywillis
Heel & Toe

Default Fuel lines on gas tank

I will measure them tomorrow and report back to you. They aren't very long, maybe 6 inches but harder to get to.
Looks like the left line is 3 1/4 long and right 2 lines are 2 5/8 long

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 81 Fuel sending unit removal