C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring in to Fuse Block - Guide for Dummies?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 AM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Wiring in to Fuse Block - Guide for Dummies?

So, I'm teeing up to wire in my SPAL's, and it looks like wiring to the accessory terminal in the fuse block sounds like a good way to go. My problem is, I don't know how to do that, practically speaking.

Going through the ninety five or so SPAL wiring threads out there, it's hard to find one with a picture or a detailed description of what connectors are used, and how and where exactly those connectors are physically joined to the fuse panel.

I know it is bound to be terribly simple, but I've never seen it done or attempted it myself, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:08 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

i ran a wire from the ING post thru the firewall to a point near the horn relay. then used that to control a relay to supply power from the alternator. that way there's only a very small current load on the fuse panel.
connect one relay coil terminal to the wire from the ING wire, ground the other terminal. that will close the contacts when the ignition switch is in the "on" position. then connect a #10 gauge wire from the alternator to one contact terminal on the relay. then connect the supplied #10 red wire that spal gave you to the other contact terminal. if you want to play it safe, insert a fuse or circuit breaker in the line from the alternator before it attaches to the relay.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:32 PM
nate99
Race Director

Thanks for the response, but I'm looking to dumb it down a shade.

when you connect anything in to a fuse block terminal, what kind of connector do you need on the wire, and where physically does it connect to the fuse block itself (front, back, hidden compartment opened by magical elves, etc.).

Here's a pic of the front of one:

and back...

I am a wiring retard, please take this in to consideration.

Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

at the bulge of your left thumb you'll see IGN and an arrow pointing toward a connector. (i think i called it a ING earlier!). that terminal goes to +12 volts when the key is in the run position. get a spade connector(home depot, lowes, radio shack) and it will fit in there. drill a 1/4" hole in the firewall and cement a short (2 or 3") piece of rubber tubing in the hole to act as a water shield, equal lengths on each side of firewall. run the wire thru the tubing. then connect it as i described earlier.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:28 PM
nate99
Race Director

I suspected it was that easy, but did not want to make an assumption that would result in my car catching fire.

FYI - those were just a couple of pics that I found, not sure whose hand that is, but my fuse block is still up under the dash.

Last edited by nate99; 03-22-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:52 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by nate99
I suspected it was that easy, but did not want to make an assumption that would result in my car catching fire.

FYI - those were just a couple of pics that I found, not sure whose hand that is, but my fuse block is still up under the dash.
Here are a couple of pictures of the junction block that I installed to wire the main fan feeds to.

http://www.speakeasy.org/~pws/Coolin...tion Wired.JPG

http://www.speakeasy.org/~pws/Cooling/Junction.JPG
Old 03-22-2010, 03:53 PM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by pws69
Here are a couple of pictures of the junction block that I installed to wire the main fan feeds to.

http://www.speakeasy.org/~pws/Coolin...tion Wired.JPG

http://www.speakeasy.org/~pws/Cooling/Junction.JPG
Thanks for the pics, I think my '81 has a standalone junction block next to the battery that I was planning on using for the main power wire.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring in to Fuse Block - Guide for Dummies?

Quick Reply: Wiring in to Fuse Block - Guide for Dummies?