C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long will the chrome last???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 10:31 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long will the chrome last???

I am getting ready to purchase a set of Hooker chrome headers and sidepipes. How long will it be before the chrome starts to yellow/ And are there ways to stop this from happening? :confused: :confused:
Old 03-12-2002, 10:37 PM
xfactor974
Pro

Default Re: How long will the chrome last??? (VettePower)

2 minutes after you start it up. no just kiddin. probably a couple of years if you take care of them
Old 03-12-2002, 11:33 PM
Indynick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How long will the chrome last??? (xfactor974)

It rained the day after I installed mine. The rust started the next day. After a year, my wife would not ride in it because they looked so rusty. After that, I only used the black ones. After 4 sets, in 10 years, on my big block, I switched to the factory side pipes. That one set lasted 13 years. I used the fiberglass side covers. Hookers sure give you the power, but I don't think it is worth the work/money.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:48 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Mine yellowed and turned blue near the heads within a few hundred miles.
When I broke in the new cam/motor they got real nasty.
Jet Hot...coat it and forget it :cheers:
Old 03-13-2002, 12:03 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Have a high temp sterling powder coat put on it and it'll be fine.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:11 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: How long will the chrome last??? (Steve Straus)

I sent an e:mail to Jet-Hot and haven't gotten a response yet. Does anyone know if they can coat just the inside? And if so, would that help?
Old 03-13-2002, 01:19 AM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: How long will the chrome last??? (74-Roadster)

I sent an e:mail to Jet-Hot and haven't gotten a response yet. Does anyone know if they can coat just the inside? And if so, would that help?
Jet-Hot coats the inside and outside as standard, supposed to help with flow. I sent mine off last week, cost was $545 with shipping to Florida, should have them back by next Monday, then I can drop in the new motor...finally.
Old 03-13-2002, 02:00 AM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Default Re: How long will the chrome last??? (C3 Shark Tank)

I found a local placve here in WA that does a cermaic metal coating on any metal, esp. headers. Also they can ceramic coat in a couple different shades different colors. Saw the work first hand (both samples and in some Show cars) and it looks great! Same thing that Jet Hot does, but much cheaper since they aren't the "brand".

The guy was very nice and explained the process to me, again, it's the same heat-treated cermaic coating that Jet Hot uses. And they are MUCH cheaper, only $275 for a set of long-tube headers!!! Turn around time is also much faster as well because they are a smaller shop.

After a few min. talking with him I was sold, so I just sent a bunch of engine parts to be ceramichrome coated -- told me he'd do my pulleys and hood latch for $15 each! I'll post pictures when I get the stuff back next week.

I should know next week about the quality 1st hand, but again I would recomend them as an alternative to Jet Hot at 1/2 the price, and based on the samples they had the quality was top-notch.

Here's a link to there site. Also, they have a great article on why you need to coat both sides of a header.

www.performancecoatings.com
Old 03-13-2002, 03:06 AM
RaC3R
Instructor

Default Re: How long will the chrome last??? (Corellian Corvette)

Great link Corellian. Saw your site - you work for EA? I guess you've been to Burnaby then? Nice 73 by the way, I'm actually looking for a chrome bumper as well :cool: .

:cheers:
Old 03-13-2002, 12:18 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How long will the chrome last??? (yellow 72)

Mine yellowed and turned blue near the heads within a few hundred miles.
When I broke in the new cam/motor they got real nasty.
Jet Hot...coat it and forget it :cheers:
Seriously guys!! I see so many of your cars posted with the Chrome Hooker set up, and your telling me, that without getting them powder coated, they are basically junk which will turn blue and rust out within a year. I really like the chrome look. If I wanted black sidepipes, it would be cheaper and easier to just get the fiberglass set up. Does anyone have any that have actually lasted more than a year, that still look half decent??? :eek:
Old 03-13-2002, 12:30 PM
Indynick
Instructor

I guess it all depends on where you live, and how often you drive your car. I am in Michigan, and I drive my car daily, but even with the car in storage over the winter, the pipes still rust in the garage.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:52 PM
JCL
Burning Brakes

VettePower. They won't rust away in a year. If you take CARE of them they should last a long time. Whats a long time? I'm thinking 5+ years. I had a friend who didn't take care of his, and they finally let go at about 7yrs. It all depends. I'm like you, for me it's the CHROME look. JCL :cool: :cool: :chevy "Sidepipes are the way"
Old 03-13-2002, 02:01 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How long will the chrome last??? (JCL)

VettePower. They won't rust away in a year. If you take CARE of them they should last a long time. Whats a long time? I'm thinking 5+ years. I had a friend who didn't take care of his, and they finally let go at about 7yrs. It all depends. I'm like you, for me it's the CHROME look. JCL :cool: :cool: :chevy "Sidepipes are the way"
Thanks JCL!! Glad you restored my faith in Hookers. As for the Chrome look, great minds think alike!! :cheers:
Old 03-14-2002, 12:58 AM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Default Re: How long will the chrome last??? (RaC3R)

RaC3Er - thanks for the word! I'm going to post pictures of the results -- I hope they turn out well becuase so far their service and prices are good.

Actually, I worked at EA for about 6 years. Now, I'm up in Washington state working on the Xbox

:D

Get notified of new replies

To How long will the chrome last???

Quick Reply: How long will the chrome last???