C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 Intake Manifold with EGR

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 03:47 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1976 Intake Manifold with EGR

I am looking for the best performance intake manifold for my 1976 with EGR port. Base Small Block 350 with Holly Carburator existing. The manifold needs to be CA SMOG legal. Is the Edelbrock Performer Series CA legal?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 03-24-2015, 05:00 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Edelbrock Performer 3701
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/...rentProductId=

Last edited by MelWff; 03-24-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:51 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Yep!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:30 PM
Joe Papa
Advanced

That's what I am running on my 80 L82.
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2015, 07:09 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joe Papa
That's what I am running on my 80 L82.
I contacted Edelbrock and it is true. They do not have any intake manifolds with the required CARB approved numbers and don't plan on certifying them. Looks like I'll need to go back to the original intake manifold and get it on Ebay. Bummer.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:48 PM
Joe Papa
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChromeVette
I contacted Edelbrock and it is true. They do not have any intake manifolds with the required CARB approved numbers and don't plan on certifying them. Looks like I'll need to go back to the original intake manifold and get it on Ebay. Bummer.
The Edelbrock #3701 intake manifold which is 50 state legal is still available from Summit or Jegs.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:56 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

The Edelbrock #3701 intake manifold which is 50 state legal is still available from Summit or Jegs.
Thanks Joe - I see that on Jegs it says that the manifold is 50 state legal. When I called Edelbrock they said 2 years ago these were classified as direct replacement parts, but now CA needs the EO# CARB approved versions. Edelbrock will not be doing any testing on these models any time soon so I guess the question is if anyone has successfully - recently passed CA smog with these on them? How can they make someone take off the manifold that was previously 50 state legal???? CRAZZZZY
Old 03-27-2015, 12:04 AM
Joe Papa
Advanced

Thanks Joe - I see that on Jegs it says that the manifold is 50 state legal. When I called Edelbrock they said 2 years ago these were classified as direct replacement parts, but now CA needs the EO# CARB approved versions. Edelbrock will not be doing any testing on these models any time soon so I guess the question is if anyone has successfully - recently passed CA smog with these on them? How can they make someone take off the manifold that was previously 50 state legal???? CRAZZZZY
Direct replacement parts do not require an EO number which is what I believe was written in my instruction sheet. I will have to dig it up and see if it is so. I am due for a smog check very soon as well.

Last edited by Joe Papa; 03-27-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:32 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I have not been hassled about my intake manifold ever. I've run both the 3701 and the ZZ4 intake - 10185063.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:39 AM
Joe Papa
Advanced

Direct replacement parts do not require an EO number which is what I believe was written in my instruction sheet. I will have to dig it up and see if it is so. I am due for a smog check very soon as well.
EGR SYSTEMS: Edelbrock EGR-equipped Performer manifolds are intended as a direct functionally identical replacement for their O.E.M.
counterparts. All exhaust emissions or emissions related stock components are intended to be retained and functional. Non-EGR equipped
manifolds will not accept stock EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) equipment. EGR systems are used on some 1972 and later model vehicles
and only in some states. Check local laws for requirements. Manifolds not equpped with EGR are not legal for use on any emissions controlled
vehicle where such equipment is required. This was taken from their instruction manual.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 AM
Joe Papa
Advanced

This intake manifold is also available from Jegs; 50 state legal direct replacement.

Speedmaster PCE147.1008 - Speedmaster Holeshot Intake Manifolds Details

Small Block Chevy

Notes:
•Includes bushings for 1987-95 iron heads
•Carburetor sealing plate included
•50 State Legal: Stock replacement/street legal manifold for 1972-86 305, 350 and 400 V8s with OEM 4-barrel or Edelbrock #1400 carburetor; and 1981-86 GM corporate 350 V8 engines
Old 03-27-2015, 05:36 PM
oledave60
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you decide to go spreadbore I have a nice alum GM egr manifold for sale. $125 shipped.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:38 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

EGR SYSTEMS: Edelbrock EGR-equipped Performer manifolds are intended as a direct functionally identical replacement for their O.E.M.
counterparts. All exhaust emissions or emissions related stock components are intended to be retained and functional. Non-EGR equipped
manifolds will not accept stock EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) equipment. EGR systems are used on some 1972 and later model vehicles
and only in some states. Check local laws for requirements. Manifolds not equpped with EGR are not legal for use on any emissions controlled
vehicle where such equipment is required. This was taken from their instruction manual.

Thanks Joe,

This is great information. I think that going with the direct replacement shouldn't be a problem now, Good news! Now I just posted another thread entitled: What is EGR High Performance? Corvette America sells 3 options for 76':
1. EGR with special high performance
2. EGR w/o high performance with Cal emissions
3. EGR w/o high performance

All of the product images appear identical. What is the correct EGR for my application that requires SMOG and uses the AIR system for L48? Does the High Perf get better mileage?

Thanks again
Old 03-27-2015, 05:41 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by oledave60
If you decide to go spreadbore I have a nice alum GM egr manifold for sale. $125 shipped.

I would love to install the spreadbor, but I/ve read that the direct replacement manifolds also require the CARB certified carburetor. What carb is legal/works with this setup where I won't have any issues passing?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2015, 05:44 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
I have not been hassled about my intake manifold ever. I've run both the 3701 and the ZZ4 intake - 10185063.
What carburetor have you used. Best performances and legal?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2015, 05:54 PM
oledave60
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A 76 q-jet the first number is 1 and the 6th is 5. The 5 denotes Calif legal.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:02 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

What carburetor have you used. Best performances and legal?

Thanks
I'm running a QuadraJet from a 78 L-82 carburetor that I've re-worked with custom air bleeds and some other tuning tweaks (enlarged idle fuel circuits, notched secondary air flaps, enlarged accel pump discharge holes and POE restrictions).

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 Intake Manifold with EGR

Old 03-27-2015, 11:09 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
I'm running a QuadraJet from a 78 L-82 carburetor that I've re-worked with custom air bleeds and some other tuning tweaks (enlarged idle fuel circuits, notched secondary air flaps, enlarged accel pump discharge holes and POE restrictions).

Shark Racer,
That's about the sexiest block I've seen and with those AFRs how'd you get that to be legal? Are you really in San Jose? What have the smog techs said about your setup? I also don't see the AIR system in your engine bay. Maybe your year didn't require it. If you have the L82 I thought they all came with AIR
Old 03-28-2015, 12:24 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Shark Racer,
That's about the sexiest block I've seen and with those AFRs how'd you get that to be legal? Are you really in San Jose? What have the smog techs said about your setup? I also don't see the AIR system in your engine bay. Maybe your year didn't require it. If you have the L82 I thought they all came with AIR
AFRs are legal (EO #D-250-2). I'm actually in Santa Clara, I haven't lived in SJ for a few years and have bounced around the south bay a bit but haven't cleaned up the location since it's "close enough" and not everyone knows the nuances of the area.

It's an L-82 carburetor, but my car is originally an L-48. A forum member gave me this carburetor a number of years ago when I was having issues with the carburetor I had. I had it rebuilt by Ace Fuel Systems in the early 2000s and did it again myself ~2 years ago. You're right on L-82s coming with A.I.R..

If you're referring to my engine build thread, the AIR tubes were not installed until after I'd broken the motor in. They get in the way of tuning, but were installed for my smog check. The only thing the smog techs asked about was the headers, which have an EO sticker (which I posted near the emissions label).
Old 03-28-2015, 10:53 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default I bought a Weiand 8000 in mid 90s

And it came with a cast EO number right on the manifold. Worked just fine.
I added a pic below.

I am looking for the best performance intake manifold for my 1976 with EGR port. Base Small Block 350 with Holly Carburator existing. The manifold needs to be CA SMOG legal. Is the Edelbrock Performer Series CA legal?

Thanks

Jeff
Attached Images  

Last edited by carriljc; 03-28-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: add pic

Quick Reply: 1976 Intake Manifold with EGR