C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DeWitts new "DIRECT FIT" C3 fan package

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 07:07 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Default DeWitts new "DIRECT FIT" C3 fan package

We now offer a "direct fit" dual 11" fan package that's designed to bolt directly to the factory style C3 copper/brass radiators or griffin aluminum radiators. This package eliminates the mechancal fan and shroud. $395 Fan kit only. Free mounting when purchasing a new aluminum radiator

For more info visit:
www.dewitts.com/pages/productdetail.asp?ProdID=249

[Modified by Tom DeWitt, 8:43 AM 3/15/2002]
Old 03-14-2002, 07:11 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: DeWitts new "DIRECT FIT" C3 fan package (Tom DeWitt)

That looks pretty good, is there a warranty on the unit? What size alternator should be used in place of the 40 amp?
Old 03-14-2002, 07:18 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Tom,
How does it mount? Is there special brackets to attach it or ???

tom...
Old 03-14-2002, 07:36 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Default Re: DeWitts new "DIRECT FIT" C3 fan package (Tom73)

Spal manufactures fans for Ferrari and other high dollar italian cars. I believe the warranty on the motors are one year but you will never have to worry about burning one out too early. The Amperage is 12.5amp each fan. I would want to have at least a 60amp or more if you have air. The best way to tap into the system is off the battery and let it handle the peaks.

As far as the mounting goes, it simply slips over the hollow top and bottom channel on the core and you drive self tapping screws through. Keep in mind, this is for "factory stock" cores or Griffin rads that use what I call a "top hat" shape channel beam. Rads that have replacement cores might have a whole different upr and lwr channel. If yours is a "u" shape with the trough facing up, this is an aftermarket core and mounting could be different than stock.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:12 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiousity, didn't this same kit sell for 50 dollars less just a few days ago??? If i remember correctly it was teh dual 11" SPAL setup with wiring and mounting brackets for 344 dollars...i was going to buy that, but i really dont' see what extra we're getting for 50 bucks??? Please enlighten me here... :confused:
Old 03-14-2002, 09:01 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Default Re: DeWitts new "DIRECT FIT" C3 fan package (VETDRMS)

For one the mounting bracket. If I remember correctly the bracket was an additional 25.

-David
Old 03-14-2002, 09:01 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Default Re: DeWitts new "DIRECT FIT" C3 fan package (VETDRMS)

Your right, there is nothing extra. The regular price is $395 and we've had them on sale for two months at $344. Several people took advantage of this offer and some didn't. Ya snooze .....just kiddin', if you want one I'll still go the sale price. td

FYI: we did change the mounting from tube spacers to a nice looking pair of aluminum brackets, looks much better and less parts.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:08 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Tom,
How does the cooling capacity of these fans compare to a stock type clutch fan? And approx. how many ponies would it free up?
By the way, the Griffin radiator that I got from you is superb- dropped my temps 20-30 degrees. I can idle all day long w/o any movement on the gauge and hot days have no effect either. I'm totally impressed!
Old 03-14-2002, 09:11 PM
aqua80
Instructor

Can you leave the stock shroud in place with this package?
Old 03-14-2002, 09:27 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Default Re: DeWitts new "DIRECT FIT" C3 fan package (aqua80)

Is this a kit, meaning does it come with a thermal switch and relays? What exactly will we get for $344.00??? Just 2 fans and aluminum mounting brackets??? :confused:
Old 03-14-2002, 09:32 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Default Re: DeWitts new "DIRECT FIT" C3 fan package (aqua80)

Nope! Shroud has to go, don't need it anyway. That's another one of the benefits of this package is it really frees up some work space in front of the motor and belt changes are really a snap.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:36 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Default Re: DeWitts new "DIRECT FIT" C3 fan package (VettePower)

Vettepower, You get everything in the photo, except the rad. The dual fans, two harnesses, two relays, two fuse blocks and fuses, mounting brackets, one temp switch 3/8" npt and 1/2"npt adapter, hardware, and instructions for wiring options. If you do buy a rad, we mount the fans at no charge. td
Old 03-14-2002, 09:47 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Default Re: DeWitts new "DIRECT FIT" C3 fan package (Les)

Les, I typed a reply to you but it didn't post. Any way, thanks for the comment. As far as comparing to a stock fan, electric fans provide high air flow when you need it most (idle, traffic, stop & go) and mechanical fans are at there low end due to engine speed. The dual 11's put out 2780 cfm so it's like going 60 mph in heavy traffic. If you look close at the picture you can see the rubber flapper checks above and below the fans. At high driving speeds these flapper will blow open and by-pass the fans. As far as the ponies, I'd just be guessing, maybe 5-7?
Old 03-14-2002, 09:51 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

I am confused because I went to your website and you advertise it as a Rad/Fan Combo Package, and it shows a nice new radiator with the fan already installed on it, for $395.00. So what you are saying now is that you can just buy the fan setup for $344.00 or for $51.00 more you will get a new radiator as well. The first step to getting a loyal customer base is to advertise clearly and not mislead. So please explain why it says Rad/Fan Combo!!! :nonod:
Old 03-14-2002, 10:03 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

I am confused because...The first step to getting a loyal customer base is to advertise clearly and not mislead. So please explain why it says Rad/Fan Combo!!! :nonod:
Perhaps the ad did say what you are quoting but NOBODY in their right mind is going to think that an aluminum replacement radiator plus dual electric fans and all of the hardware is going to cost that little.

Sometimes common sense is thrown out with the trash.
Gary
Old 03-14-2002, 10:11 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Default Re: DeWitts new "DIRECT FIT" C3 fan package (GaryS)

Sometimes common sense is thrown out with the trash.
Gary
B******T!! GaryS. The point I was trying to make is that there are people that visit websites and see things advertised and do not know any better until the product arrives!! Yeah sure you and I know that there is no way that a radiator is included, but how about people that do not visit the forum and do not know better!! I beleive if you advertise something on the web make it clear!! Well now that I let off some steam, I feel much better. :boxing
Old 03-15-2002, 10:41 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

I guess I should have indicated that in the actual post, I'll fix it. For those asking questions or wanting to know more, I did put a hyperlink to the actual website for this product just below the picture. 90% of the questions asked here are anwswered and the note: rad not included. If you will notice, all our fan/combo options are shown as the fan/kit only price.I do this because I don't know which radiator you going to put the fan on. It might be a 65-396, 70 pro series manual, or a 74 hp series auto. Each one of these rads have different pricing, so it's rad + fan = cost. :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To DeWitts new "DIRECT FIT" C3 fan package

Old 03-15-2002, 11:08 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom - I have a replacement AL rad on my 69 BB but not sure what brand. How do I determine what brand I have and if this kit will fit. My rad has no filler neck/cap on the rad itself but I have the expansion tank which has the cap.

Noticed on your site that you don't list early BB vettes for this kit. If this kit won't fit a BB application, do you offer one to accomodate a high hp (600+) big block which I hope mine will someday be?

[Modified by Marks69BB, 9:42 AM 3/15/2002]
Old 03-15-2002, 11:13 AM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Tom! It was a pleasure speaking with you today. I am looking forward to my new fans....................and my new storage compartment!

Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2002, 11:35 AM
Koz

I'll add my .02 worth of dumb questions.. Ya have to pull the radiator to install this.. right? Do I have to take off the hood to pull the radiator?
How do I know if I have a large enough altinator?
Not that I'm a dumb butt.. but.. well I am.. how do you hook this up?

Also, I didn't see an updated price for the RAD/FAN combo but I had no idea just a new radiator was so expensive. I saw the disclaimer that the radiator was not included but when I went to the RAD/Fan Combo page it still states $395.
I had a few days last year where the temp gage was running very high.. :confused:

Quick Reply: DeWitts new "DIRECT FIT" C3 fan package